Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Poor indoor pics

Poor indoor pics

Lynn

Hi
I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand that
it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if it
meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.

--
Lynn
Remove Spam Trap if replying personally

Paul Heslop

Lynn wrote:

> Hi
> I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
> I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
> use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
> of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand that
> it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if it
> meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
> I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
> technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.
>
> --
> Lynn
> Remove Spam Trap if replying personally

I would think if you're using no flash indoors and the light isn't strong enough
then you WILL get blur. The exposure time is longer.... I think :-/

--
Paul. (Understand what I've become, it wasn't my design.)
Not what it seems...

David J. Littleboy

"Lynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi
> I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
> I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable

> use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken

are
> of no use. Very blurred.

The shutter speed is probably too slow, making it hard to hold the camera
steady and meaning that the subjects will be moving in image as well.

> Is there any way around this.

Use a higher ISO. However, that reduces the quality of the images. Quite
severely. If you really want to take indoor volleyball shots without a
flash, a Canon 300D with the Canon 50mm/1.4 lens would be a lot better. But
that's US$1200 or so. Ouch.

> I understand that
> it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if

it
> meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.

White balance isn't the anwer, but you've got the right idea: if the camera
doesn't do the right thing for you automagically, you need to learn how it
works<g>.

For the basics of photography, http://www.photo.net/ has some good stuff.

Also check out http://www.dpreview.com/ for basics of digital photography
(which isn't all that different from film photography).

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Bill

How far are you from the subject? If you're more than 10-12 feet away, I
doubt that the flash is doing any good anyway. And having the camera in
flash mode may be causing the shutter to stay open longer to synchronize
with the flash. Try it without flash, and change the white balance to match
the lighting....flourescent or whatever. It may help......if there is
enough ambient light.
Bill

"Lynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bol68u$j3q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
> I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable

> use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken

are
> of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand that
> it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if

it
> meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
> I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
> technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.
>
> --
> Lynn
> Remove Spam Trap if replying personally

Leicaddict

"Lynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bol68u$j3q$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi
> I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
> I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
> use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
> of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand that
> it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if it
> meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
> I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
> technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.

Lynn, this is a very basic question. It has been asked and anwered
probably hundreds of times in this group. I wish you amateurs would
check the Google archives before you ask these stupid questions. Get
off your lazy ass and do some homework on your own you dumb **** !

yep

>Hi
>I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
>I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
>use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
>of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand that
>it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if it
>meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
>I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
>technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.

Lynn, I'm an amateur myself but maybe I have some advice that may
help. Others are correct in pointing out that the shutter speed is
probably very slow causing camera shake. The reason is that you are
taking the picture in a dark setting correct? The camera thinks it's
dark so slows the shutter. But if I'm also correct (about squash), the
players themselves are in a very bright light setting, so the camera
is being fooled. Take it off Auto, and set the shutter speeds to
faster settings and see what your results are like. You can also try
increasing the ISO. Although this can cause noisy/grainy pictures some
cameras are better at this than others. A grainy picture is also MUCH
better looking than a blurry picture. You can also try increasing the
aperture setting, but this will cause all other objects other than the
one you are focusing on to look blurry - but at least your main
subject will look good.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Alan Browne

_____________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please do not |
/ O O\__ | feed the |
/ \ | Trolls |
/ \ \|_____________________|
/ _ \ \ ||
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ | _||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | | --|
| | | |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ | ||
/ _ \\ | / `'
* / \_ /- | | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

Leicaddict wrote:

> "Lynn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bol68u$j3q$(E-Mail Removed)>...
>
>>Hi
>>I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
>>I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
>>use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
>>of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand that
>>it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if it
>>meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
>>I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
>>technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.

> Lynn, this is a very basic question. It has been asked and anwered
> probably hundreds of times in this group. I wish you amateurs would
> check the Google archives before you ask these stupid questions. Get
> off your lazy ass and do some homework on your own you dumb **** !

Lynn

"yep" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Hi
> >I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one

aspect.
> >I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable

> >use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken

are
> >of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this. I understand

that
> >it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if

it
> >meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the

settings.
> >I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know

enough
> >technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.

> Lynn, I'm an amateur myself but maybe I have some advice that may
> help. Others are correct in pointing out that the shutter speed is
> probably very slow causing camera shake. The reason is that you are
> taking the picture in a dark setting correct? The camera thinks it's
> dark so slows the shutter. But if I'm also correct (about squash), the
> players themselves are in a very bright light setting, so the camera
> is being fooled. Take it off Auto, and set the shutter speeds to
> faster settings and see what your results are like. You can also try
> increasing the ISO. Although this can cause noisy/grainy pictures some
> cameras are better at this than others. A grainy picture is also MUCH
> better looking than a blurry picture. You can also try increasing the
> aperture setting, but this will cause all other objects other than the
> one you are focusing on to look blurry - but at least your main
> subject will look good.
>
> Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

Thanks for your reply and for trying to help. I think I am right in saying
I am not able to change the ISO settings or the Aperture with this camera
which is why I was wondering if anybody had got around this problem with
this particular camera. I think it is probably meant for people like me who
usually use the camera on Auto but I must say I do not consider myself dumb,
I don't think I need to qualify who the 'dumb' people are!!

--
Lynn
Remove Spam Trap if replying personally

JK

Lynn wrote:

> Hi
> I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
> I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
> use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
> of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this.

Yes. Buy a Digital Rebel or other digital slr, and get fast lenses(those
that let plenty of light through) for it. A less expensive choice would be to
buy a Sony F717.

> I understand that
> it uses something called 'White Balance' instead of flash and wondered if it
> meant that on these occassion I have to fiddle manually with the settings.
> I always leave the cameras settings on Auto usually as I don't know enough
> technically to fiddle around with the camera settings.
>
> --
> Lynn
> Remove Spam Trap if replying personally

Mark Johnson

JK <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Lynn wrote:
>> Hi
>> I am using a Fuji A303 which I am very pleased with apart from one aspect.
>> I sometimes have to take photos at squash events which means I am unable to
>> use the flash setting. I have found that nearly all of the photos taken are
>> of no use. Very blurred. Is there any way around this.

>Yes. Buy a Digital Rebel or other digital slr

That's what, $1200-1400 for a couple of lenses and the body? 'street
price'.

>that let plenty of light through) for it. A less expensive choice would be to
>buy a Sony F717.

I tried getting some shots at an indoor rodeo, recently. I wish I'd
had the C5050 from Olympus, that I just got. It shows a 1.8 lens,
so-called 'super-bright'. I wonder if it could have captured that fast
an action, like bucking horses or bulls, under dim lighting, without
flash. I don't know. You should have seen the flashes used by the pro
photographers hired for the event. They could have lit the arena from
one end to the other.