Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for lens adapter for Kodak DX6490 information.

Looking for lens adapter for Kodak DX6490 information.

Info

I have a kodak DX6490 and want to attach 52 mm filters and a wide angle
adapter. So far I have not been able to find a lens adapter that will screw
into the body for this camera. I suspect that the adapter will have 43 mm
male threads on the camera end and I need 52 mm female threads at the filter
end.

Does anyone know of an adapter for another camera brand or model that fits
that?

--
..

CSM1

"Info" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tPlrb.348$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have a kodak DX6490 and want to attach 52 mm filters and a wide angle
> adapter. So far I have not been able to find a lens adapter that will

screw
> into the body for this camera. I suspect that the adapter will have 43 mm
> male threads on the camera end and I need 52 mm female threads at the

filter
> end.
>
> Does anyone know of an adapter for another camera brand or model that fits
> that?
>
> --
> .

They do not list the Kodak DX9490, but there are many lens adapters.
http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...-ad_index.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Ron Baird

Greetings Info,

I can understand your interest, but there are no accessory lenses or
adapters planned for this camera. Sorry we cannot help directly with more.
Contrary to reports by some here, there will not be any accessory lenses
offered for this model.

Talk top you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Info" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tPlrb.348$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have a kodak DX6490 and want to attach 52 mm filters and a wide angle
> adapter. So far I have not been able to find a lens adapter that will

screw
> into the body for this camera. I suspect that the adapter will have 43 mm
> male threads on the camera end and I need 52 mm female threads at the

filter
> end.
>
> Does anyone know of an adapter for another camera brand or model that fits
> that?
>
> --
> .

Fred McKenzie

<< "Info" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tPlrb.348$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I have a kodak DX6490 and want to attach 52 mm filters and a wide angle
> adapter. So far I have not been able to find a lens adapter that will

screw
> into the body for this camera. I suspect that the adapter will have 43 mm
> male threads on the camera end and I need 52 mm female threads at the

filter

Info-

My Olympus C-3040Z has 41mm threads. Olympus makes a 41mm to 43mm
spacer/adapter. The camera store where I bought the camera, sold me the
Olympus adapter plus Tiffen 43mm to 49mm and 49mm to 52mm step-up rings.

These step-up rings would seem to meet your basic requirement, but there may be
some other clearance problem. I suggest you take your DX6490 to a "real"
camera store and see if they have something that will work for you.

Fred

Ron Baird

Hi Fred,

The camera does not have the threading capacity for a lens, and accessory
lenses are not available. You are going to run the risk of getting poor
results and possibly damaging the camera. I would not recommend jerry
rigging anything. The 10X optical is quite good and suffices for most all
situations in general picture taking. The quality of the image will also
allow for an additional digital zoom.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> > I have a kodak DX6490 and want to attach 52 mm filters and a wide angle
> > adapter. So far I have not been able to find a lens adapter that will

> screw
> > into the body for this camera. I suspect that the adapter will have 43

mm
> > male threads on the camera end and I need 52 mm female threads at the

> filter
> >>

> Info-
>
> My Olympus C-3040Z has 41mm threads. Olympus makes a 41mm to 43mm
> spacer/adapter. The camera store where I bought the camera, sold me the
> Olympus adapter plus Tiffen 43mm to 49mm and 49mm to 52mm step-up rings.

Info

Thank you Fred.

Ron, I am puzzled why Kodak does not want to support filters on this camera.
I can understand that accessory lenses might seem outside the target
consumer market for this camera however. Can you shed any light on that
subject?
So far the Kodak DX6490 has performed nicely for me. I do want to use some
filters and I am also looking forward to not having to hand hold my Kenko
KNW-05 Hi wide angle lens adapter by hand.

Filters, after all have been pretty well accepted in the photographic
community for some time.

The deciding factor in purchasing the Kodak DX6490 at this time was the pc
flash sync connection. I needed to use my studio strobes.

"Ron Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:boufbn$5r5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Fred,
>
> The camera does not have the threading capacity for a lens, and accessory
> lenses are not available. You are going to run the risk of getting poor
> results and possibly damaging the camera. I would not recommend jerry
> rigging anything. The 10X optical is quite good and suffices for most all
> situations in general picture taking. The quality of the image will also
> allow for an additional digital zoom.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> > > I have a kodak DX6490 and want to attach 52 mm filters and a wide

angle
> > > adapter. So far I have not been able to find a lens adapter that will

> > screw
> > > into the body for this camera. I suspect that the adapter will have 43

> mm
> > > male threads on the camera end and I need 52 mm female threads at the

> > filter
> > >>

> > Info-
> >
> > My Olympus C-3040Z has 41mm threads. Olympus makes a 41mm to 43mm
> > spacer/adapter. The camera store where I bought the camera, sold me the
> > Olympus adapter plus Tiffen 43mm to 49mm and 49mm to 52mm step-up rings.

Ron Baird

Hi Fred,

I can appreciate the interest and the need.

I believe the reason is related to the dynamics of the 10X optical feature.
Since the lens zooms out quite a bit, adding any extension to it would be
extreme, i.e. a 2x extender, would make it a 20x or possible 30x zoom. In
that scenario the optics would be extreme and I suspect it would be quite
difficult to get a sharp picture.

I am going to share your thoughts about filters with our engineering team.
We appreciate feedback like this. I suspect the reason is related to a very
low market for such filters in the non professional market. But, when I
learn more, I will share with you. Thanks for sharing.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> Thank you Fred.
>
> Ron, I am puzzled why Kodak does not want to support filters on this

camera.
> I can understand that accessory lenses might seem outside the target
> consumer market for this camera however. Can you shed any light on that
> subject? So far the Kodak DX6490 has performed nicely for me. I do want to

use some
> filters and I am also looking forward to not having to hand hold my Kenko
> KNW-05 Hi wide angle lens adapter by hand.
>
> Filters, after all have been pretty well accepted in the photographic
> community for some time.
>
> The deciding factor in purchasing the Kodak DX6490 at this time was the pc
> flash sync connection. I needed to use my studio strobes.

Fred McKenzie

<< In
that scenario the optics would be extreme and I suspect it would be quite
difficult to get a sharp picture.

I am going to share your thoughts about filters with our engineering team. >>

Ron-

I can understand why supplementary lenses would not be practical for this
camera. Yes, most people do not use filters. That isn't the point!

For those who want to improvise and use lenses from some other brand of camera,
will certainly find out soon enough that the result is poor. That is how you
learn. Those who like to play with things, trying different combinations in
order to learn about cameras and photography in general, are frustrated by such
a popular camera not having even a simple threaded lens barrel to accept
screw-in filters.

I was glad to read in your recent message, that Kodak had changed their mind
about the 6490. But how can they do that now? Would you devise a slip-on
friction-fit adapter? Better yet, would you allow customers to send in their
camera for an upgrade? Or, does Kodak merely intend to include the capability
on the next model?

Fred

Ron Baird

Hi Fred,

I am not clear on the details? All I know is that our teams agreed to add
this feature. You will be able to use filters via the add on adapter. Not
sure about the telephoto feature however, and I am going to guess that it
will be for wide angle and added options like those you have mentioned.
Should enhance the camera even more than it has already.

I realize that not everyone has software like Photoshop or the like, but you
can use these programs in digital to add filter effects etc. Nothing like
optical, however, so should prove to be popular feature. As soon as I learn
more I will share with you.

Talk to you soon, Fred,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company