Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > WOW ... An impresive effect ...

Reply
Thread Tools

WOW ... An impresive effect ...

 
 
Giorgis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
I was considering getting a grad filter for my Olympus 5050, but I was
having trouble finding any at all for the 43mm mark.

While Googling around, I read an article claiming there is a better way
than grad filters.

In fact I have come to agree with that. After more googling, I came
across this site:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml

I followed it's advice, but I added to the procedure a couple of notches.


First this tutorial requires you use a tripod. You can use hand held.
You take a bracketed shot so you over and under expose the image.

The problem is that you might shake a little. When importing into
Photoshop, make one mask 30% opaque and then shift it until they match
then back to 100%.

I did exactly that with an image of my back yard, a large tree. I used
the magic wand to ensure I dont walk into the dark tree area too much.

After a short while I came up with an image were the shadows are
perfectly exposed and the highlights are also perfectly exposed. Being a
leafy tree with twigs means that I needed alot more work. But for
five-ten minutes I created an image with fantastic dynamic range and
realistic (although a film photographer might think it looks artificial .

Back to the Grad filters ... Their disadvantage is that you have to add
filters and in my case a step up ring adding to the expense and the
bulk. They also only would work with landscapes were there is a clear
line like a lake or a horizon. They would be useless in the case of a tree.

The only advantage I can think of in a grad filter is that you take a
single shot and your done. No problem with leaves moving between
bracketing and so on.

Giorgis

PS: Don't shoot me, as I am an amature so this technique came as a
surprise to me. I love this camera even more ... amm I know it's an
inanimate object ... If only I knew this touring Europe.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
jjs
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
In article <3facc408$0$9225$(E-Mail Removed)>, Giorgis
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was considering getting a grad filter for my Olympus 5050, but

I was
> having trouble finding any at all for the 43mm mark.
>
> While Googling around, I read an article claiming there is a

better way
> than grad filters.
>
> In fact I have come to agree with that. After more googling, I came
> across this site:
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml


For more of such approaches, see:
http://WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU/~stafford/br/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Grandpad
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
Thanks guys, really interesting stuff.

jjs wrote:

> In article <3facc408$0$9225$(E-Mail Removed)>, Giorgis
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I was considering getting a grad filter for my Olympus 5050, but

> I was
> > having trouble finding any at all for the 43mm mark.
> >
> > While Googling around, I read an article claiming there is a

> better way
> > than grad filters.
> >
> > In fact I have come to agree with that. After more googling, I came
> > across this site:
> >
> > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml

>
> For more of such approaches, see:
> http://WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU/~stafford/br/


 
Reply With Quote
 
Giorgis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2003
Grandpad wrote:
> Thanks guys, really interesting stuff.
>
> jjs wrote:
>
>
>>In article <3facc408$0$9225$(E-Mail Removed)>, Giorgis
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> I was considering getting a grad filter for my Olympus 5050, but

>>
>>I was
>>
>>>having trouble finding any at all for the 43mm mark.
>>>
>>> While Googling around, I read an article claiming there is a

>>
>>better way
>>
>>>than grad filters.
>>>
>>> In fact I have come to agree with that. After more googling, I came
>>>across this site:
>>>
>>>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml

>>
>>For more of such approaches, see:
>>http://WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU/~stafford/br/

>
>


?! Great stuff ...

Giorgis

 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Grady
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
Thanks for the post. I read the tutorial, it sounds good. I'm going to try
it.

"Giorgis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3facc408$0$9225$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I was considering getting a grad filter for my Olympus 5050, but I was
> having trouble finding any at all for the 43mm mark.
>
> While Googling around, I read an article claiming there is a better way
> than grad filters.
>
> In fact I have come to agree with that. After more googling, I came
> across this site:
>
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml
>
> I followed it's advice, but I added to the procedure a couple of notches.
>
>
> First this tutorial requires you use a tripod. You can use hand held.
> You take a bracketed shot so you over and under expose the image.
>
> The problem is that you might shake a little. When importing into
> Photoshop, make one mask 30% opaque and then shift it until they match
> then back to 100%.
>
> I did exactly that with an image of my back yard, a large tree. I used
> the magic wand to ensure I dont walk into the dark tree area too much.
>
> After a short while I came up with an image were the shadows are
> perfectly exposed and the highlights are also perfectly exposed. Being a
> leafy tree with twigs means that I needed alot more work. But for
> five-ten minutes I created an image with fantastic dynamic range and
> realistic (although a film photographer might think it looks artificial

.
>
> Back to the Grad filters ... Their disadvantage is that you have to add
> filters and in my case a step up ring adding to the expense and the
> bulk. They also only would work with landscapes were there is a clear
> line like a lake or a horizon. They would be useless in the case of a

tree.
>
> The only advantage I can think of in a grad filter is that you take a
> single shot and your done. No problem with leaves moving between
> bracketing and so on.
>
> Giorgis
>
> PS: Don't shoot me, as I am an amature so this technique came as a
> surprise to me. I love this camera even more ... amm I know it's an
> inanimate object ... If only I knew this touring Europe.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
MikeWhy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003
"jjs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-rev.hbci.com...
> > http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...blending.shtml

>
> For more of such approaches, see:
> http://WIND.WINONA.MSUS.EDU/~stafford/br/


Apply image with multiply or a burn mode also works; I just wish I'd thought
to charge money for mentioning it. For that matter, a curve adjustment layer
with one of the darken modes works to bring back detail -- it would have to
be there in the same image -- that washed out from other curve moves. When
it's all said and done, that level of manipulation is tedious. It would have
to be an exceptional photo to warrant that amount of labor. Maybe I'm just
sore that I haven't shot anything really spectacular lately. OTOH, I might
just be thinking that compositing is compositing. Why limit yourself to the
sky in *that* particular picture? Why not the sunset you shot in Acapulco
last spring?


 
Reply With Quote
 
JIM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003
"MikeWhy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:_lkrb.17860
.....<cut>....
> OTOH, I might just be thinking that compositing is compositing. Why limit

yourself to the
> sky in *that* particular picture? Why not the sunset you shot in Acapulco
> last spring?
>


Perzacktly! As someone noted, film shooters might object; however, even
film shooters can manipulate images - remember scanners.........I made a
file for my son to sell his car on the internet - made the pic of the car in
his yard and eliminated or changed the background by putting one of my more
interesting Wyoming/Colorado skys in there. 'Course, anyone looking at this
photo might come to understand that there is no place in all of Georgia you
could get a picture like that

Shoot'em up, real, unreal, surrealistic, Agfa, Fuji, Kodak and all the rest
will love you for it!!

Jim


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OT: wow, just wow Neil MCSE 13 08-20-2005 10:03 AM
OT: Wow... just wow. FrisbeeŽ MCSE 35 07-05-2005 04:05 PM
Impresive web site stats Collector_NZ NZ Computing 0 06-19-2004 11:16 AM
wow, just.. wow smiley Computer Support 7 01-23-2004 03:17 AM



Advertisments