Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S30 v. S45 for people shots

Canon S30 v. S45 for people shots

daniel

I have Canon Powershot S30 and love everything about it except I can't
stand the photos it takes of people, which makes them look terrible,
both with and without the flash. I have tried many thing to
compensate and on a good day with the right settings its shots of
people can be marginal at best.

I read a review that said that the S45 has new internals and a new
white balancing system. I was wondering what people's experiences
were with shooting people (mostly indoors) with the S45 are?

Joe

"daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have Canon Powershot S30 and love everything about it except I can't
> stand the photos it takes of people, which makes them look terrible,
> both with and without the flash. I have tried many thing to
> compensate and on a good day with the right settings its shots of
> people can be marginal at best.
>
> I read a review that said that the S45 has new internals and a new
> white balancing system. I was wondering what people's experiences
> were with shooting people (mostly indoors) with the S45 are?

If you want one, you'd better hurry, they're being discontinued

Bill Crocker

Go for the S50!

Bill Crocker

"daniel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have Canon Powershot S30 and love everything about it except I can't
> stand the photos it takes of people, which makes them look terrible,
> both with and without the flash. I have tried many thing to
> compensate and on a good day with the right settings its shots of
> people can be marginal at best.
>
> I read a review that said that the S45 has new internals and a new
> white balancing system. I was wondering what people's experiences
> were with shooting people (mostly indoors) with the S45 are?

daniel

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:22:38 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Go for the S50!

What about the supposed noise issues with the S50 compared with the
S45?

daniel

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:43:12 GMT, daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:22:38 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Go for the S50!

>What about the supposed noise issues with the S50 compared with the
>S45?

At dpreview he states " ...other than the five megapixel sensor, case
cover, silk screen labels and embossed chrome '5.0 mega pixels' strap
eyelet it really is the same camera. Thanks to Sony's 1/1.8" five
megapixel CCD sensor the S50 becomes 'yet another' digital camera
originally designed for the 1/1.8" four megapixel sensor and quickly
upgraded to continue to compete in the (ever more ridiculous)
megapixel race."

I kind of agree with this. His point seems pretty valid to me. I
find the 3MP resolution fine enough. My primary reason to upgrade
would be for better internals, color-rendering, and hopefully
white-balancing. I have never been happy with people shots with the
S30 although just about every other type of shot I take with it turns
out spectacular. I once had a Nikon 885 for about a week but ended up
returning it because of pretty serious purple fringing, but the indoor
shots of people it took were really great. Same thing for a friend's
Nikon 995 and also a friend who has a Sony. In an ideal world I would
have a Nikon for people and a Canon for everything else.

daniel

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 04:41:15 GMT, daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 03:43:12 GMT, daniel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:22:38 -0500, "Bill Crocker"
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Go for the S50!

>>What about the supposed noise issues with the S50 compared with the
>>S45?
>>

>At dpreview he states " ...other than the five megapixel sensor, case
>cover, silk screen labels and embossed chrome '5.0 mega pixels' strap
>eyelet it really is the same camera. Thanks to Sony's 1/1.8" five
>megapixel CCD sensor the S50 becomes 'yet another' digital camera
>originally designed for the 1/1.8" four megapixel sensor and quickly
>upgraded to continue to compete in the (ever more ridiculous)
>megapixel race."
>
>I kind of agree with this. His point seems pretty valid to me. I
>find the 3MP resolution fine enough. My primary reason to upgrade
>would be for better internals, color-rendering, and hopefully
>white-balancing. I have never been happy with people shots with the
>S30 although just about every other type of shot I take with it turns
>out spectacular. I once had a Nikon 885 for about a week but ended up
>returning it because of pretty serious purple fringing, but the indoor
>shots of people it took were really great. Same thing for a friend's
>Nikon 995 and also a friend who has a Sony. In an ideal world I would
>have a Nikon for people and a Canon for everything else.

One last note on this: it doesn't seem surprising to me that a Canon
could get a high rating on dpreview yet not take great people shots.
Just looking at the photos in the review: they are mostly technical
photos of still-lifes, color charts, crosshairs, etc., e.g. photos of
cold, impersonal objects under laboratory-like conditions.