Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Bizar variable problem

Bizar variable problem

Chris W

I have a simple html form that sends 3 values to perl cgi script. The
perl script then makes some calculations and prints the results to the
browser. It also writes the values to a file with some other static
text. Problem is that the values don't get saved to the file. The file
is created and the static text shows up in the file on both sides of
where the values should be, if I print the variables to the browser it
shows them correctly. Now for the bizarre part, if I do this in an old
version of netscape (4.7) then it works fine but any other browser I
have tried (IE, Netscape 7.1, Opera) it gives me this problem, which is
really strange since I can't see how the browser has any effect on the
server side of things. I have tried the script on both MS IIS and
Apache with the same result.

--
Chris W

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Chris W wrote:
> ... It also writes the values to a file with some other static
> text. Problem is that the values don't get saved to the file.

<snip>

> Now for the bizarre part, if I do this in an old version of
> netscape (4.7) then it works fine but any other browser I have
> tried (IE, Netscape 7.1, Opera) it gives me this problem, which is
> really strange since I can't see how the browser has any effect on
> the server side of things.

How about posting the script or, even better, a short version of it
that illustrates the problem you describe.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Chris W

Ok here is the code.

#!c:\perl\bin\perl.exe
use CGI qw(:standard);
use CGI::Carp qw/fatalsToBrowser/;
require 'config.pl';

##############################
###Variables in question######
$item = param("item");
$qty = param("qty");
$price = param("price");
##############################

$cartFileName = CGI::cookie("CartFile");
$total = $qty * $price;
$shipping = "\$3.00";
$gtotalstr = sprintf "%9.2f", ($total + 3 + ($total * $tax));
$taxstr = sprintf "%9.2f", ($total * $tax);
$totalstr = sprintf "%9.2f", $total;

################################################## ################
#########I have moved this code to various places and still no joy
################################################## ################
open CARTFILE, ">$orderdir/$cartFileName";
print CARTFILE "$item - $qty - \$$price\n"; #THIS IS WHAT DOESN'T
WORK.
######the two "-"s and the "$" are all that's in the file.
close CARTFILE;

print CGI::header();
open TEMPLET, "<$cgidir/cart.html";
while(<TEMPLET>){
print;
if(/BODY GOES HERE/){

#######This all prints as expected########
print "<br><br>$item - $qty - \$$price\n<BR><BR>";

print <<"[END]";

Sub Total:\$$totalstr<br>
Tax :\$$taxstr<br>
Shipping :$shipping<br>
Total :\$$gtotalstr<br>
<FORM ACTION="$hcgidir/GetPayment.pl" METHOD=POST>
<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="total" VALUE="$total">
Please select payment method.<br>
<input type="radio" name="paymentType" value="CreditCard">Credit
Card
<input type="radio" name="paymentType" value="Check">Mail Check
<INPUT TYPE="submit" name="submit" value="Continue">
</FORM>
</form>

[END]

}#end if
} #end while templet

--
Chris W

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Chris W wrote:
> Ok here is the code.
>
> #!c:\perl\bin\perl.exe

use strict;
use warnings;

<snip>

> open CARTFILE, ">$orderdir/$cartFileName";
> print CARTFILE "$item - $qty - \$$price\n"; #THIS IS WHAT DOESN'T WORK.

open CARTFILE, ">$orderdir/$cartFileName" or die $!;

The above suggestions are the basic methods to ask Perl for help with
finding various code errors. Please use those methods before asking a
Usenet group to help you debug your code.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Chris W

Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> > #!c:\perl\bin\perl.exe

> use strict;
> use warnings;

No change in behavior of the code once all the strict stuff was added.
The only warnings were about a few vars from config.pl that are only
used once and that isn't part of the problem

> open CARTFILE, ">$orderdir/$cartFileName" or die $!;

I took my long or die thing out to simplify and that obviously isn't the
problem, since as I said in my first message, the file is being created
and written to, it just doesn't write the value of my variables in the
file.

Chris W

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Chris W wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>>
>> open CARTFILE, ">$orderdir/$cartFileName" or die $!;

> I took my long or die thing out to simplify

I suggest that you take it back. You should make it a habit to never
"simplify" that way, btw.

> and that obviously isn't the problem,

That's not obvious to me.

> since as I said in my first message, the file is being created and
> written to, it just doesn't write the value of my variables in the
> file.

If the variables are populated (which they obviously are if their
content is printed to the screen), I find it very hard to believe that
the script would actually print to the file and still exclude the
variables. Maybe there is just an old file copy, and nothing gets
printed. Maybe, since the filename seems to be dependent on some
cookie, there is a cookie problem... You would get a clue if you
checked the return value of that open statement.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Chris W

Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> If the variables are populated (which they obviously are if their
> content is printed to the screen), I find it very hard to believe that
> the script would actually print to the file and still exclude the
> variables.

I find it hard to believe too, that's why I have tested it a million
times and, that is exactly what happens if I use any browser except
Netscape 4.7

> Maybe there is just an old file copy, and nothing gets
> printed.

The file name is based on the time of day and every time I run the
script it creates a new file I now have about 50 files with a first line
that looks like "$ - -", so I know that's not the problem. Another
script down the road also has not problem adding other data to the file,
which makes it even more difficult to believe.

> Maybe, since the filename seems to be dependent on some
> cookie, there is a cookie problem... You would get a clue if you
> checked the return value of that open statement.

adding to or die in there doesn't change anything.

I Just did some experimenting and noticed something odd. . . if I change

open CARTFILE, ">$conf:rderdir/$cartFileName" or die $!;
#the file should already exist at this point

open CARTFILE, ">>$conf:rderdir/$cartFileName" or die $!;

Then the first line of the file is exactly like I want it to be, but it
also prints a second line that doesn't have any values, just the " - -
$"

So what does that tell you?

--
Chris W

Chris W

Chris W wrote:

> I Just did some experimenting and noticed something odd. . . if I change
>
> open CARTFILE, ">$conf:rderdir/$cartFileName" or die $!;
> #the file should already exist at this point

> open CARTFILE, ">>$conf:rderdir/$cartFileName" or die $!;
>
> Then the first line of the file is exactly like I want it to be, but it
> also prints a second line that doesn't have any values, just the " - -
> $"

I forgot to mention that again it works in netscape 4.7 as I expect it
to, it is only when I use any other browser that it has the problem.

Chris W

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Chris W wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> Maybe, since the filename seems to be dependent on some cookie,
>> there is a cookie problem... You would get a clue if you checked
>> the return value of that open statement.

> adding to or die in there doesn't change anything.
>
> I Just did some experimenting and noticed something odd. . . if I
> change
>
> open CARTFILE, ">$conf:rderdir/$cartFileName" or die $!;
> #the file should already exist at this point

> open CARTFILE, ">>$conf:rderdir/$cartFileName" or die $!;
>
> Then the first line of the file is exactly like I want it to be,
> but it also prints a second line that doesn't have any values, just
> the " - - $"
>
> So what does that tell you?

Not much. What happens if you hardcode the file name instead of
relying on the cookie value?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

Chris W

Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:

> Not much. What happens if you hardcode the file name instead of
> relying on the cookie value?

Same thing. I decied to look in my access long and found these
interesting entries.

When I run the script from IE or Opera or Netscape 7.1 I get this. . .

"POST /cgi-bin/addToCart.pl HTTP/1.1" 200 6473
"GET /cgi-bin/addToCart.pl? HTTP/1.1" 200 6417

When I use netscape 4.7 I get this in the long

"POST /cgi-bin/addToCart.pl HTTP/1.0" 200 6521
"GET /cgi-bin/? HTTP/1.0" 403 286

That has to have something to do with it

--
Chris W