Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Post for U.S. readers: What companies are outsourcing calls to India?

Post for U.S. readers: What companies are outsourcing calls to India?

DigitalCameraBasics

There have been a couple of very interesting stories on U.S. TV news shows
about how somewhat quietly, more and more companies are outsourcing their
customer service calls directly to call centers in India. The reason being
that it's about 1/4th the cost to pay them as opposed to skilled American
workers. Numbers varied a bit per report, but it is estimated that so far
tens of thousands of white collar American jobs have been lost as
service/tech reps have been laid off to be replaced by the Indian call
centers.

Dell Computers is bad about this. Even in mid-day hours, you will get
transferred to India, and must endure people who seem to have never spoken
English at all as their accents are so bad you cannot make out a thing they
are saying. Smaller companies such as Netgear and Linksys are also doing
this. During one story, when a reporter asked the C.E.O. about what he
thought regarding all of the complaints U.S. callers were making about this,
his reply was, "Oh well".

I'm curious as to whether anyone has come across a site that actually
maintains a list of U.S. companies that are outsourcing their calls like
this? If not, I'm considering making a list of my own and posting it on my
site. The fact that so many jobs are lost while C.E.O.s are making tens of
millions of dollars in yearly salaries (literally) is disturbing. What's
moreso, is that these companies think so little about their customers that
they think it's ok to subject a caller to someone who speaks broken English
at best, and in an accent so heavy one must ask, "what? what?? WHAT???" ,
in order to understand what is being said to them. A list would help
potential buyers decide if they wish to give that particular company their
money or not.

Any lists already out there? If not, what companies are you aware of that
do this?

Thanks

kjg@ighio.cijg

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003, "DigitalCameraBasics"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any lists already out there? If not, what companies are you aware of that
>do this?

Amazon: some calls go to India
Circuit City: every call goes to India (check out the photo on their
homepage, they don't try to hide it at all)

(and naturally, some reverse-racist twit will call you a racist, even as
more and more jobs go to India. Computer programmers, of course, are hit
very hard. Maybe the proliferation of crash-prone software, like AOL's, is
due to Indian programmers doing the lion's shate of the work.)

DigitalCameraBasics

They can call me what they will.

I have no problem talking to someone who was born in another country on a
tech call that originates HERE. There are two things I think SHOULD be
going on...

1) Buy it in the U.S. from a U.S. company, then if you call for customer
service or tech assistance, the call should be received by a U.S. call
center which employs U.S. citizens, or, those working in the U.S. on a valid
Visa or work permit.

2) I could care less if anyone was born in another country or not, however,
you are an idiot for applying for a job here, if you cannot speak English
clearly. Moreso, the company that hires you is a bigger idiot. Where the
person who answers the phone is from originally is not a concern to me.
What is, is that the jobs for service support are kept HERE, and that the
people answering the phones can be clearly understood by the caller.

If a company does not meet these two simple things, then I'm going to start
seeking out those who do to give my money to, even if it's an inconvenience
for me.

Greg

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003, "DigitalCameraBasics"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Any lists already out there? If not, what companies are you aware of

that
> >do this?
> >

> Amazon: some calls go to India
> Circuit City: every call goes to India (check out the photo on their
> homepage, they don't try to hide it at all)
>
> (and naturally, some reverse-racist twit will call you a racist, even as
> more and more jobs go to India. Computer programmers, of course, are hit
> very hard. Maybe the proliferation of crash-prone software, like AOL's, is
> due to Indian programmers doing the lion's shate of the work.)

Rick

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 06 Nov 2003, "DigitalCameraBasics"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >Any lists already out there? If not, what companies are you aware of that
> >do this?

> Amazon: some calls go to India
> Circuit City: every call goes to India (check out the photo on their
> homepage, they don't try to hide it at all)
>
> (and naturally, some reverse-racist twit will call you a racist, even as
> more and more jobs go to India. Computer programmers, of course, are hit
> very hard. Maybe the proliferation of crash-prone software, like AOL's, is
> due to Indian programmers doing the lion's shate of the work.)

Earthlink: most phone support calls are now routed to India.

HPQ: phone and online messaging support for some products
now routed to India.

Rick

Shaun

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 04:43:10 +0000, DigitalCameraBasics wrote:

> They can call me what they will.
>
> I have no problem talking to someone who was born in another country on a
> tech call that originates HERE. There are two things I think SHOULD be
> going on...
>
> 1) Buy it in the U.S. from a U.S. company, then if you call for customer
> service or tech assistance, the call should be received by a U.S. call
> center which employs U.S. citizens, or, those working in the U.S. on a valid
> Visa or work permit.
>
> 2) I could care less if anyone was born in another country or not, however,
> you are an idiot for applying for a job here, if you cannot speak English
> clearly. Moreso, the company that hires you is a bigger idiot. Where the
> person who answers the phone is from originally is not a concern to me.
> What is, is that the jobs for service support are kept HERE, and that the
> people answering the phones can be clearly understood by the caller.
>
> If a company does not meet these two simple things, then I'm going to start
> seeking out those who do to give my money to, even if it's an inconvenience
> for me.
>

> Greg

As far as I can tell, for most services it's now required to have
spanish-language services along side english-language ones (correct me if
I'm wrong, I've been in the US for just under 2 years now .. still
learning). Based on that I think it's a perfectly just point to want the
english-language service to actually speak good English. I won't comment
on foreigners taking American jobs for obvious reasons, but I do believe
that in jobs such as this, where communication skills are almost as
important as the answers you're giving, such out-sourcing does seem to be
disasterous.

It draws a curious comparison to Work Visas .. they'll only give you a
visa to fill an American job if there's a shortage of citizens / residents
able to fill the position. In some places it's dairy staff, in others it's
nurses .. but nowhere would it be acceptable to lay off citizens /
residents to create the positions. In the age of our so-called "Global
Village", I can't help but wonder if this is a law that needs to catch up.

a 2 cent ramble,
Shaun

HRosita

Hi,

Here are a few:

Dell
Gateway
AOL

Rosita

Trevor S

Shaun <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

<Snip>

> In the age of our so-called "Global Village", I can't help but wonder if
> this is a law that needs to catch up.

Why ? Let the CUSTOMER decide, if they don't like the practice don't shop
there, or buy their product.

For <insert deity of choice> sake, don't let the Government interfer, all
they will do is screw it up !

As an asdie, it seems odd to moi that the proponents captalism are now
advocating socalism when it suits them ? Same thing with the overly
protected US Ag industries, seems like a waste of dollars to prop them up,
they either get efficent (they have the home town advantage !) or go
under....

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein

FOR7b

>As far as I can tell, for most services it's now required to have
>spanish-language services along side english-language ones (correct me if
>I'm wrong, I've been in the US for just under 2 years now .. still
>learning).

Nope, that is wrong. If any company provides alternative languages for their
customers it is simply because they are catering to them. There are no foreign
language requirements for businesses. I doubt there are any for government
either. Frankly there is too much catering to other languages as it is making
lazy immigrants that much less likely to learn english within a reasonable
amount of time as they should.

> Based on that I think it's a perfectly just point to want the
>english-language service to actually speak good English. I won't comment
>on foreigners taking American jobs for obvious reasons, but I do believe
>that in jobs such as this, where communication skills are almost as
>important as the answers you're giving, such out-sourcing does seem to be
>disasterous.

> Shaun

I've already been through that twice. I think they were both from India too. I
could barely understand them. They had to constantly repeat themselves after I
kept telling them that I had no idea what they had just said. I couldn't
imagine them lasting for too long.

FOR7b

>Why ? Let the CUSTOMER decide, if they don't like the practice don't shop
>there, or buy their product.
>
>For <insert deity of choice> sake, don't let the Government interfer, all
>they will do is screw it up !
>
>As an asdie, it seems odd to moi that the proponents captalism are now
>advocating socalism when it suits them ? Same thing with the overly
>protected US Ag industries, seems like a waste of dollars to prop them up,
>they either get efficent (they have the home town advantage !) or go
>under....
>
>--
>Trevor S

Ag subsidies as it relates to foreign competition is a complicated situation as
a country needs or should be able to ultimately feed itself, especially in
times of crisis. One could argue it is a strategic and security issue for a
country to be able to sustain a certain level of food production for its
citizens. The same thing goes for certain critical industries like steel and
others. I don't think it is just a simple matter of allowing free trade for
every industry. You can never have totally free trade in all industries as
security issues will always come up for ceratin goods and services.

(E-Mail Removed)

Charlie Self

for7b responds:

>Nope, that is wrong. If any company provides alternative languages for their
>customers it is simply because they are catering to them. There are no
>foreign
>language requirements for businesses. I doubt there are any for government
>either. Frankly there is too much catering to other languages as it is making
>lazy immigrants that much less likely to learn english within a reasonable
>amount of time as they should.

My liberal views are nearly identical to yours. As a case in point, I don't
recall anyone stumping to provide Italian translators during the '30s, '40s,
'50s when the influx from Italia was huge. They learned to speak the language,g
ot teased umercifully for their accents, and became solid, valuable citizens
almost immediately. The same was true of the importation of Chinese in huge
numbers during the '70s, '80s, '90s, for building railroads. Yeah, the 18--s.

But Spanish is becoming a need in business in the U.S. today, and it is not
because of huge markets OUTSIDE our borders.

Charlie Self

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas J. Watson