Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson 820, keep or toss

Epson 820, keep or toss

John

My epson 820 has sat unused for about 3 months. New ink cartridges
will cost me about $50. Are the odds that I won't be able to
unclog the head/nozzles and should just buy a new printer
rather than waste the $50. 820 does create b&w when it was
used regularly. Would probably go to the new HP7660 with
the #59 b&w ink cartridge, so $200+.

Argon3

Congratulations...this is the same problem that I find myself faced with
(several times). I always try to explain it to my wife ("You bought ANOTHER
printer?). There are cleaning cartridges available (try inkjetmall) which are
designed to flush your system before using a third party ink but I would expect
that they would work just to clear your printer for use with new Epson
cartridges. The cleaning cartridges cost something like $30-$40, though...back
where we started...is a new printer more cost effective?
I do have a forty year old Simmon Omega enlarger down in my basement...still
works. The transition to digital DOES have a cost downside despite what its
boosters say. These pictures are not "free" after you purchase the camera and
the printer!

argon

CSM1

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> My epson 820 has sat unused for about 3 months. New ink cartridges
> will cost me about $50. Are the odds that I won't be able to
> unclog the head/nozzles and should just buy a new printer
> rather than waste the $50. 820 does create b&w when it was
> used regularly. Would probably go to the new HP7660 with
> the #59 b&w ink cartridge, so $200+.

I vote. Toss.

I own a Epson Stylus Photo 820 and it is the worst inkjet printer I have
ever owned.

Take a look at the Canon line of printers.
http://www.canon.com/index.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Ed Ruf

On 05 Nov 2003 18:33:16 GMT, in rec.photo.digital http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Argon3)
wrote:

>Congratulations...this is the same problem that I find myself faced with
>(several times). I always try to explain it to my wife ("You bought ANOTHER
>printer?). There are cleaning cartridges available (try inkjetmall) which are
>designed to flush your system before using a third party ink but I would expect
>that they would work just to clear your printer for use with new Epson
>cartridges. The cleaning cartridges cost something like $30-$40, though...back
>where we started...is a new printer more cost effective?

If the print capping mechanism is like the one on my 1270, try moving the
head t the left as if you were going to change a cartridge and put a couple
drops on Windex in the foam pad, repark the head and turn the printer off.
Let sit a couple hours or overnight and then try a nozzle check. may need
to repeat more than once.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Conrad Weiler

<< should I just buy a new printer >>

I use the Epson 820 printer and find it amazing. Comes bundled free with some
new computers.

It's a six color printer with 4 picoliter droplets. Works well for me. If you
use it frequently enough - you might not have as much clogging.

I also have a Hi-Ti dye sub printer which does very nice 4" x 6" coated prints.
This is great to pass out quick prints to friends.

Best,

Conrad

Conrad Weiler
Camp Sherman, Oregon

Harry Da Hat

I bought an 820 off the shelf that wouldn't charge the color cart. It was a
2 week old demo model. Tech support told me to try another cart. They also
said it was out of warranty. I returned it. Went elsewhere. Picked up an
HP 7660. Better printer.

K9660R

<< From: (E-Mail Removed) --My epson 820 has sat unused for about 3
months. New ink cartridges
will cost me about $50. Are the odds that I won't be able to
unclog the head/nozzles and should just buy a new printer
rather than waste the $50. 820 does create b&w when it was
used regularly. Would probably go to the new HP7660 with >><BR><BR>

I am currently faced with the same problem. I print mainly grayscale images and
the 820 does an incredible job. I tried a Canon i950 a while back and returned
it. My grayscales were too greenish. Anyway, my Epson 820 photos are starting
to band a bit. I've cleaned the heads with the built-in cleaner and it doesn't
seem to be improving. I usually use this printer at least once a day but if it
sits several days, watch out!

I've been hearing good things about the newer HP Photosmart 7660's. I need to
check them out and see what all the fuss is about.

Ken