Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 3 or 6 colour printer?

3 or 6 colour printer?

Dick Campbell

I am looking to buy (probably) Canon printer to print out my Canon 300D
images.

I am sure that 6 colours is "better" than 3 but, apart from the cost of 6
colour, the simplicity of 4 ink tanks versus 7 appeals to me.

Will I be missing out on much if I opt for a 3 colour printer?

Dick Campbell

TSimmons

IMHO 7 colour and 8 colour print far better than 3/4 colour printers. I
prefer the Epsons' myself

Cheers
TAJ Simmons
microsoft powerpoint mvp

awesome - powerpoint backgrounds,
free sample templates, tutorials, hints and tips etc
http://www.powerpointbackgrounds.com

"Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mjJpb.177996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking to buy (probably) Canon printer to print out my Canon 300D
> images.
>
> I am sure that 6 colours is "better" than 3 but, apart from the cost of 6
> colour, the simplicity of 4 ink tanks versus 7 appeals to me.
>
> Will I be missing out on much if I opt for a 3 colour printer?
>
> Dick Campbell

Bill Hilton

>From: "Dick Campbell" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I am looking to buy (probably) Canon printer to print out my Canon 300D
>images.
>
>I am sure that 6 colours is "better" than 3 but, apart from the cost of 6
>colour, the simplicity of 4 ink tanks versus 7 appeals to me.
>
>Will I be missing out on much if I opt for a 3 colour printer?

Generally the 4 color printers are business models and excel at things like
printing pie charts or graphs with a few basic colors, and the 6 or 7 color
printers were designed to be better for photography.

A big visual difference is that the extra colors give you finer gradations in
things like skin tones.

If you're going to be printing photos you'll be better off with the photo
printer models, either Canon or Epson or HP.

Bill

Mustafa Krap

"Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mjJpb.177996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking to buy (probably) Canon printer to print out my Canon 300D
> images.
>
> I am sure that 6 colours is "better" than 3 but, apart from the cost of 6
> colour, the simplicity of 4 ink tanks versus 7 appeals to me.
>
> Will I be missing out on much if I opt for a 3 colour printer?
>
> Dick Campbell

If you want maximum compatibility with your 300D then you are better off
with one of the newer Canon models such as the I860 or I960. I really wanted
the I9100 but couldn't justify the higher cost after just buying the 300D so
I went with the I860 which has 5 ink tanks (CMYK and a separate black for
text printing). I am very happy with the print quality and love being able
to print straight from the camera using the separate Pictbridge connection,
it's also fast and very quiet and has a separate 4x6 paper loading tray
which works really well. I would suggest you make a trip to the local store
and have a look at all the models and try to see some examples of their
output, only you can decide if the difference between the 4 and 6 tank
printers is that great. Personally I don't feel it's that big a difference
but if you can afford one of the 6 tank models then you should get one, if
you can only afford one of the 4 tank models then don't worry, I'm sure you
will be more than happy with the quality of your prints.

Rob.

Todd Walker

In article <mjJpb.177996$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I am looking to buy (probably) Canon printer to print out my Canon 300D
> images.
>
> I am sure that 6 colours is "better" than 3 but, apart from the cost of 6
> colour, the simplicity of 4 ink tanks versus 7 appeals to me.
>
> Will I be missing out on much if I opt for a 3 colour printer?
>
> Dick Campbell

Absolutely. If you are going to be printing photos, a 3 (actually 4 if
you count black) color printer is not even an option.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Mike

"Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mjJpb.177996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Will I be missing out on much if I opt for a 3 colour printer?

As another suggested, go to a local store and check their printouts. My
CompUSA had a bunch of prints done by customers laying around. At a glance,
I was amazed by the quality of even the 3 color printers. So I don't think
you'll be missing much. You might miss some, but if you're just exchanging
snapshots, I don't think anyone will complain that you used 3 colors instead
of 6!

--
Mike
http://www.graphtablet.com Free graph paper for students and others.

LLutton

>"Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:mjJpb.177996$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Will I be missing out on much if I opt for a 3 colour printer?

I have had both 3 and 6 color printers. I think the difference depends on the
subject. For example, a portrait looked the same to me from both printers. The
difference was apparent only when looking through a magnifying glass. The 6
color print had smoother gradations. A print from the 6 color printer with sky
or a lake looked a lot better. More color shades were visible.
Lynn

Rafe B.

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 16:09:56 GMT, Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <mjJpb.177996$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I am looking to buy (probably) Canon printer to print out my Canon 300D
>> images.
>>
>> I am sure that 6 colours is "better" than 3 but, apart from the cost of 6
>> colour, the simplicity of 4 ink tanks versus 7 appeals to me.
>>
>> Will I be missing out on much if I opt for a 3 colour printer?
>>
>> Dick Campbell

>Absolutely. If you are going to be printing photos, a 3 (actually 4 if
>you count black) color printer is not even an option.

Well, now hold on just a minute there.

The Epson 3000 is around 6 years old now and still
being manufactured and sold. It was the workhorse of
choice for large-format inkjet photo printing, until some
of the HPs and newer Epsons took its place. It is a 4
color (CMYK) printer.

In a similar vein, the Epson 1160 was a phenomenally
succesful photo printer even though it was a 4-color
model originally marketed for "office" duty. The 3000
and 1160 remain the printers-of-choice for BW printing
using quadtones.

You are correct that the light colors (photo cyan and
photo magenta) will yield smoother and less "dotty"
highlight details. No question about that. But I can
tell you -- I've sold hundreds of prints made on my
two Epson 1160s.

Fact of the matter is, big prints (from models like the
3000 or 1160) are meant to be viewed from a reasonable
distance. And if you do that, the advantage of the two
light inks is somewhat diminished. If, on the other hand,
you will be printing primarily smallish prints (5x8 or
8x10") then by all means, go for a 6-color printer.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Fact of the matter is, big prints (from models like the
> 3000 or 1160) are meant to be viewed from a reasonable
> distance. And if you do that, the advantage of the two
> light inks is somewhat diminished. If, on the other hand,
> you will be printing primarily smallish prints (5x8 or
> 8x10") then by all means, go for a 6-color printer.

Excellent point and one that I would agree with. I still say if you are
buying a photo printer today, get a 6 or 7 color version. But I'm a
stickler for the highest quality possible

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://www.toddwalker.net/canon10d
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://www.toddwalker.net/dpblog.htm
_________________________________

Mark Herring

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 08:20:34 GMT, "Dick Campbell" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am looking to buy (probably) Canon printer to print out my Canon 300D
>images.
>
>I am sure that 6 colours is "better" than 3 but, apart from the cost of 6
>colour, the simplicity of 4 ink tanks versus 7 appeals to me.

Why? The total ink cost per print is going to be pretty similar, and
changing cartridges will consume maybe 1 minute out of every 1000 you
spend makeing pitures. AND the total cost of the printer is not
hugely different---at least at the entry level. To be sure, the
high-end 6, 7, 8 color printers are more money because----Well, what
would you do with a "high-end" 4-color inkjet???????

>Will I be missing out on much if I opt for a 3 colour printer?

YES!!

>Dick Campbell

I spent many years making "adequate" snaps with an Epson 600
(4-color). Now I have Epson 1280 (6-color). The difference is
immediately noticeable and significant.

-Mark

Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".