Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > any manual focus cameras easy to focus?

any manual focus cameras easy to focus?

Catherine Jo Morgan

Borrowed a friend's Canon G2 and tried manual focus. Hmm. No luck so far. It
seems as if the manual focus is confined to the same areas as the autofocus.
If I use the camera on a tripod, those areas aren't likely to be where I
really want to focus.

Anyone use a digital that has more flexible manual focus areas, who uses
manual focus easily? (You really need an LCD screen where you can see the
focus area extremely well.) Or is this something that sounds like a good
option but isn't really practical? TIA
--
Catherine Jo Morgan
Iron & mixed media vessel sculptures

Drifter

>Borrowed a friend's Canon G2 and tried manual focus. Hmm. No luck so far. It
>seems as if the manual focus is confined to the same areas as the autofocus.
>If I use the camera on a tripod, those areas aren't likely to be where I
>really want to focus.
>
>Anyone use a digital that has more flexible manual focus areas, who uses
>manual focus easily? (You really need an LCD screen where you can see the
>focus area extremely well.) Or is this something that sounds like a good
>option but isn't really practical? TIA

To be honest that's one of the reasons I finally went to a DSLR.
Control over my picture taking, including focus. Of course I had
planned on going DSLR anyway so I guess I was really looking for an
excuse.

A friend tells me that the Olympus C-750 works well, here say though,
I haven't used it myself.

Drifter

Bill

I'm not sure if this will be what you want, but I use a Fuji S602. Still
available but it has only recently been replaced by the S7000, which has
more MP and second media card is now an XD card. However basic features are
the same. My camera has 49 selectable auto focus positions. Manual focus,
however, is restricted to the center of the frame. Manual focus is done by
turning a focusing ring on the lens barrel, much like a 35mm SLR would be.
There are focus guide icons to help you ( > , < or a when it's focused
like this >< ). Also, in manual mode, you can press the focus button to
autofocus and then fine tune it from there manually. However, in any focus
mode, there is a "focus check" button which digitally enlarges the center
area of the frame so you can check focus. The only time it's not available
is if you use the 6MP interpolated mode, since the camera is 3MP.

Hope this helps.
Bill

"Catherine Jo Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Borrowed a friend's Canon G2 and tried manual focus. Hmm. No luck so far.

It
> seems as if the manual focus is confined to the same areas as the

autofocus.
> If I use the camera on a tripod, those areas aren't likely to be where I
> really want to focus.
>
> Anyone use a digital that has more flexible manual focus areas, who uses
> manual focus easily? (You really need an LCD screen where you can see the
> focus area extremely well.) Or is this something that sounds like a good
> option but isn't really practical? TIA
> --
> Catherine Jo Morgan
> Iron & mixed media vessel sculptures
> online artist journal: http://radio.weblogs.com/0120691/
> paintings on ebay: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/MORGAN*SCULPTURE/

Samuel Paik

"Catherine Jo Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Borrowed a friend's Canon G2 and tried manual focus. Hmm. No luck so far.

> It
> seems as if the manual focus is confined to the same areas as the autofocus.

I don't know what this sentence means.

Bunny

Sony F-series are quite good since they will magnify the centre of the image
for you to focus. Already the best thing can do with a LCD....
Want manual focus? Buy a DSLR/SLR with big/bright viewfinder like D1X
....$$$$$

"Catherine Jo Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Borrowed a friend's Canon G2 and tried manual focus. Hmm. No luck so far.

It
> seems as if the manual focus is confined to the same areas as the

autofocus.
> If I use the camera on a tripod, those areas aren't likely to be where I
> really want to focus.
>
> Anyone use a digital that has more flexible manual focus areas, who uses
> manual focus easily? (You really need an LCD screen where you can see the
> focus area extremely well.) Or is this something that sounds like a good
> option but isn't really practical? TIA
> --
> Catherine Jo Morgan
> Iron & mixed media vessel sculptures
> online artist journal: http://radio.weblogs.com/0120691/
> paintings on ebay: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/MORGAN*SCULPTURE/

Catherine Jo Morgan

The screen has three small squares that show the points that the autofocus
will focus on. If you happen to want to focus on one of them, great. If not,
you have to move the camera so one of the squares is right where you want
the focus, then move the camera to compose your picture - with the shutter
pressed halfway down. This doesn't work well when the camera is on a tripod.

It looks as if the manual focus works the same way - you're only focusing on
one of those squares - probably the center one. That's the part that's
enlarged on the LCD screen so you can tell whether or not it's sharp.

"Samuel Paik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Catherine Jo Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Borrowed a friend's Canon G2 and tried manual focus. Hmm. No luck so

far.

> > It
> > seems as if the manual focus is confined to the same areas as the

autofocus.

> I don't know what this sentence means.

Samuel Paik

"Catherine Jo Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :
> The screen has three small squares that show the points that the autofocus
> will focus on. If you happen to want to focus on one of them, great. If not,
> you have to move the camera so one of the squares is right where you want
> the focus, then move the camera to compose your picture - with the shutter
> pressed halfway down. This doesn't work well when the camera is on a tripod.
>
> It looks as if the manual focus works the same way - you're only focusing on
> one of those squares - probably the center one. That's the part that's
> enlarged on the LCD screen so you can tell whether or not it's sharp.

Ah, got it. The autofocus indicators have absolutely nothing to do
with manual focus. You want to have a controllable focus assist
magnifier. I don't know of any camera which has that.

Cheers
Sam