Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson printers

Epson printers

Judson McClendon

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ... the pricing of printers very low, but ink so high ...

The inkjet printer market has fallen into the same model as replaceable
blade safety razors. (Gillette is happy to give you a razor free, because
the know you'll have to buy high priced blades for it for years.) IMHO
this is an unfortunate thing; I would much rather pay a reasonable price
for each. I don't mind paying $250-$600 USD every few years for a
new printer, but paying 10% of that for one ink cartridge is ridiculous.
--
Judson McClendon http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (remove zero)
Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com

Judson McClendon

"HRosita" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> I have owned an Epson for quite a while and never had serious problem.

I currently have four Epson printers (800, 850, C80 & 1250), one of them
(800) six years old, and my experience with them and Epson printers in
general has been good. My 1250 is a replacement for another 1250 that I
gave to my daughter. She is editor of a local newspaper, and her 7 year
old (at least) 1250 still works great. Yes, if I don't use a printer for weeks,
the heads need cleaning. But if I print only as often as a couple of times a
week, no problems. I bought three HP inkjet printers before that, and all
of them crashed and burned within two years. None of my Epson inkjet
printers has ever actually broken.
--
Judson McClendon (E-Mail Removed) (remove zero)
Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com

Giles Morant

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 00:03:46 +0000, HRosita wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have owned an Epson for quite a while and never had serious problem. One or
> two cleaning cycles before a large print job have been enough. I don't remember
> the first model but the 1200 I had is still running well and the lady that has
> been using it for over 3 years definitely does not use it every day. My 1270 is
> over three years old and is a work horse. Have not head clogs or other
> problems.
> Of course I use original Epson Inks and when I don't print pictures I use 24
> pound paper.
> I guess I am just lucky.
> Rosita

My 760 and 1270 (same family) have been going strong with no problems
whatsoever for over 3 years as well. I'm using cheaper non-Epson
cartridges with no problems; changed a year ago when the costs just became
too great.

Perhaps the newer printers aren't built to be to solid?

Giles.

Joseph Meehan

When I bought my last printer, I got the printer with ink, for less than
the list price of the ink after all the rebates and sales.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Judson McClendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20031103113455.705$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > ... the pricing of printers very low, but ink so high ...

> The inkjet printer market has fallen into the same model as replaceable
> blade safety razors. (Gillette is happy to give you a razor free, because
> the know you'll have to buy high priced blades for it for years.) IMHO
> this is an unfortunate thing; I would much rather pay a reasonable price
> for each. I don't mind paying $250-$600 USD every few years for a
> new printer, but paying 10% of that for one ink cartridge is ridiculous.
> --
> Judson McClendon (E-Mail Removed) (remove zero)
> Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com
> "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
> whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

Ray Fischer

Joseph Meehan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> When I bought my last printer, I got the printer with ink, for less than
>the list price of the ink after all the rebates and sales.

Run out of ink - buy a new printer.

I think that the printer makers have gone just a little bit too
far in the give-away-the-printer-and-screw-em-on-supplies direction.

--
Ray Fischer
(E-Mail Removed)

Richards

Mike Lawrence wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Epson Stylus 850 colour printer. For the seconed time with this
> make, after 18 months the head has become clogged. The first time on the 600
> model I was told that it needed a new head. The cost would have been nearly
> as much as a new printer, so I bought the 850. Now the same thing has
> happened to this one. I have run 3 colour cartridges through the cleaning
> cycle, about 40/50 cycles. To no avail. As it seems I have nothing to lose I
> have taken the head out. There does not seem to be any access to inside of
> the head, is there any type of cleaning fluid I could imerse it in for a few
> hours and see if I can get it to unblock
>
> Thx,

I've used isoprophl alcohol (70%) on my 1270 with good results. Try
using a syringe (without needle) to inject the alcohol directly into
each nipple on the head (remove the ink cartridge first).

David French

"Richards" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bodr4k$sco$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike Lawrence wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Epson Stylus 850 colour printer. For the seconed time with this
> > make, after 18 months the head has become clogged. The first time on the

600
> > model I was told that it needed a new head. The cost would have been

nearly
> > as much as a new printer, so I bought the 850. Now the same thing has
> > happened to this one. I have run 3 colour cartridges through the

cleaning
> > cycle, about 40/50 cycles. To no avail. As it seems I have nothing to

lose I
> > have taken the head out. There does not seem to be any access to inside

of
> > the head, is there any type of cleaning fluid I could imerse it in for a

few
> > hours and see if I can get it to unblock
> >
> > Thx,
> >

> I've used isoprophl alcohol (70%) on my 1270 with good results. Try
> using a syringe (without needle) to inject the alcohol directly into
> each nipple on the head (remove the ink cartridge first).

I've had similar problems with 3 Epson printers. Now I'm thinking of buying
HP or Canon as the Epson ones do seem highly unreliable in this respect.
I'll try the Isopropyl suggestion, but if not I think I'm ditching the
brand.

David

Bob

Epson printers are really great all the time they're working,
but when things go wrong... the Epson service in the UK is rubbish!
My 1270 started dropping ink blobs all over the A3 prints and it took so long to get replies from them that the warranty ran out.
I've written so many emails and letters, spent so long waiting for replies and used more ink and paper doing test for them that it
has cost as much as the printer to get to the point where they say they're not interested.
I only ever got 4 good A3 prints and scrapped 2 packets of paper doing so.
I wouldn't touch another Epson product - ever.
I am buying my replacement from Canon
--
Bob

"Mike Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:vnepb.768646$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a Epson Stylus 850 colour printer. For the seconed time with this
> make, after 18 months the head has become clogged. The first time on the 600
> model I was told that it needed a new head. The cost would have been nearly
> as much as a new printer, so I bought the 850. Now the same thing has
> happened to this one. I have run 3 colour cartridges through the cleaning
> cycle, about 40/50 cycles. To no avail. As it seems I have nothing to lose I
> have taken the head out. There does not seem to be any access to inside of
> the head, is there any type of cleaning fluid I could imerse it in for a few
> hours and see if I can get it to unblock
>
> Thx,

Annika1980

>From: "Bob" (E-Mail Removed)

>My 1270 started dropping ink blobs all over the A3 prints and it took so long
>to get replies from them that the warranty ran out.
>I've written so many emails and letters, spent so long waiting for replies
>and used more ink and paper doing test for them that it
>has cost as much as the printer to get to the point where they say they're
>not interested.

You should have done what I did and searched Google for the answer.

In my case (and probably yours) the ink pads on the right inside the printer
had become saturated and the print heads were picking up the excess ink every
time they went over them. They then drag this ink across the print, usually in
the same spots.

The solution is to get those pads out of there (there are 2 or 3 of them
stacked, if I remember correctly), and thoroughly wash them out and dry them.
Once this was done, no more streaking on my 1270.

daytripper

On 26 Dec 2003 05:05:06 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Annika1980) wrote:

>>From: "Bob" (E-Mail Removed)

>>My 1270 started dropping ink blobs all over the A3 prints and it took so long
>>to get replies from them that the warranty ran out.
>>I've written so many emails and letters, spent so long waiting for replies
>>and used more ink and paper doing test for them that it
>>has cost as much as the printer to get to the point where they say they're
>>not interested.

>You should have done what I did and searched Google for the answer.
>
>In my case (and probably yours) the ink pads on the right inside the printer
>had become saturated and the print heads were picking up the excess ink every
>time they went over them. They then drag this ink across the print, usually in
>the same spots.
>
>The solution is to get those pads out of there (there are 2 or 3 of them
>stacked, if I remember correctly), and thoroughly wash them out and dry them.
>Once this was done, no more streaking on my 1270.

This is exactly correct, and should be fairly obvious if one watches what the
print carriage does when printing: every so often the carriage returns to the
pads to wipe off the face of the print heads. If the pads are saturated with
an amalgam of dried and fresh ink, it's not hard to figure where the streaks
are coming from.

Clean the pads.

/daytripper