Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Epson R800 worth waiting for?

Epson R800 worth waiting for?

Pmatt

I was just about decided on buying the Canon i960 or possible i9100, but
this one sounds pretty interesting, but not out until January. Do you
think it really will be significantly better than the current generation
of inkjets? And how long will it take them to come out with a
wide-carriage version?

There is some discussion of it on dpreview...
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6500960

at

On 1 Nov 2003 19:46:55 GMT, Pmatt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,113172,00.asp
>
>I was just about decided on buying the Canon i960 or possible i9100, but
>this one sounds pretty interesting, but not out until January. Do you
>think it really will be significantly better than the current generation
>of inkjets? And how long will it take them to come out with a
>wide-carriage version?
>
>There is some discussion of it on dpreview...
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6500960

FWIW - I just visited the photo show in NYC today with the goal of
looking at photo-quality printers. They did have the R800 there
printing away quite impressively. However, around the corner there
say the i960 and the print quality absolutely BLEW ME AWAY all the way
to 8 1/2 x 11 and the i9100 did 13 x 19 astoundingly. Me, not even
knowing the R800 was still not available would (will) definition
choose the 960.

Good luck.

Ray Fischer

Bob Mariotti <R.Mariotti> wrote:
> Pmatt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,113172,00.asp
>>
>>I was just about decided on buying the Canon i960 or possible i9100, but
>>this one sounds pretty interesting, but not out until January. Do you
>>think it really will be significantly better than the current generation
>>of inkjets? And how long will it take them to come out with a
>>wide-carriage version?
>>
>>There is some discussion of it on dpreview...
>>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=6500960
>>

> FWIW - I just visited the photo show in NYC today with the goal of
>looking at photo-quality printers. They did have the R800 there
>printing away quite impressively. However, around the corner there
>say the i960 and the print quality absolutely BLEW ME AWAY all the way
>to 8 1/2 x 11 and the i9100 did 13 x 19 astoundingly. Me, not even
>knowing the R800 was still not available would (will) definition
>choose the 960.

The size of the print has no effect on the quality as far as the
printer is concerned. While being able to print 13x9 is important to
some people, the quality of the printer is the same whether the paper
is 16x20 or 3x5.

--
Ray Fischer