Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Something some of you should know

Reply
Thread Tools

Something some of you should know

 
 
mark_digital
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
I wet mopped the kitchen's hardwood floor a couple of weeks ago. I was
trying to lighten the wood so I used some (actually a lot) liquid pool shock
(12% chlorine versus 3%-5% for normal chlorine bleach).

Later I discovered my rechargeable batteries' outer casings deteriorated
somewhat near the positive ends. Three other sets of batteries I keep in
another part of the house weren't effected.

I didn't make the connection at first but then I noticed small areas near
the fridge handle had chipped and corroded like overnight! C'mon, I thought,
this is crazy. I had the windows open and a fan going. This shouldn't of
happened. But it did.
Mark_

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Berringer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
You used way too high a concentration of clorine for indoor use. Should of
been about 1% solution.

B

"mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wet mopped the kitchen's hardwood floor a couple of weeks ago. I was
> trying to lighten the wood so I used some (actually a lot) liquid pool

shock
> (12% chlorine versus 3%-5% for normal chlorine bleach).
>
> Later I discovered my rechargeable batteries' outer casings deteriorated
> somewhat near the positive ends. Three other sets of batteries I keep in
> another part of the house weren't effected.
>
> I didn't make the connection at first but then I noticed small areas near
> the fridge handle had chipped and corroded like overnight! C'mon, I

thought,
> this is crazy. I had the windows open and a fan going. This shouldn't of
> happened. But it did.
> Mark_
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ERich10983
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
> I was
>trying to lighten the wood so I used some (actually a lot) liquid pool shock
>(12% chlorine versus 3%-5% for normal chlorine bleach).
>
>Later I discovered my rechargeable batteries' outer casings deteriorated
>somewhat near the positive ends. Three other sets of batteries I keep in
>another part of the house weren't effected.


This information about the corrosive abilities of chlorine is pretty common
knowledge for machinists and woodworkers. Keeping this chemical, even in
closed containers is notorious for creating a brown stain on exposed, clean
metal surfaces. Another chemical that will do this is ferric chloride, used to
etch circuit boards.

We are pretty careful about keeping stuff like this out of our shops. It's
easy to overlook though.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH
 
Reply With Quote
 
Judson McClendon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
"mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I wet mopped the kitchen's hardwood floor a couple of weeks ago. I was
> trying to lighten the wood so I used some (actually a lot) liquid pool shock
> (12% chlorine versus 3%-5% for normal chlorine bleach).
>
> Later I discovered my rechargeable batteries' outer casings deteriorated
> somewhat near the positive ends. Three other sets of batteries I keep in
> another part of the house weren't effected.
>
> I didn't make the connection at first but then I noticed small areas near
> the fridge handle had chipped and corroded like overnight! C'mon, I thought,
> this is crazy. I had the windows open and a fan going. This shouldn't of
> happened. But it did.


Why do you think they used chlorine as a war gas? Baaaaadddd stuff.
--
Judson McClendon http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (remove zero)
Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that
whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."


 
Reply With Quote
 
George Kerby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
On 11/1/03 6:42 AM, in article ATNob.12544$(E-Mail Removed),
"Berringer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You used way too high a concentration of clorine for indoor use. Should of
> been about 1% solution.
>
> B
>
> "mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I wet mopped the kitchen's hardwood floor a couple of weeks ago. I was
>> trying to lighten the wood so I used some (actually a lot) liquid pool

> shock
>> (12% chlorine versus 3%-5% for normal chlorine bleach).
>>
>> Later I discovered my rechargeable batteries' outer casings deteriorated
>> somewhat near the positive ends. Three other sets of batteries I keep in
>> another part of the house weren't effected.
>>
>> I didn't make the connection at first but then I noticed small areas near
>> the fridge handle had chipped and corroded like overnight! C'mon, I

> thought,
>> this is crazy. I had the windows open and a fan going. This shouldn't of
>> happened. But it did.
>> Mark_
>>

>
>

I'm surprised that his lungs still work. What an idiot!


__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

 
Reply With Quote
 
George Kerby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
On 11/1/03 8:59 AM, in article 20031101100009.551$(E-Mail Removed),
"Judson McClendon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I wet mopped the kitchen's hardwood floor a couple of weeks ago. I was
>> trying to lighten the wood so I used some (actually a lot) liquid pool shock
>> (12% chlorine versus 3%-5% for normal chlorine bleach).
>>
>> Later I discovered my rechargeable batteries' outer casings deteriorated
>> somewhat near the positive ends. Three other sets of batteries I keep in
>> another part of the house weren't effected.
>>
>> I didn't make the connection at first but then I noticed small areas near
>> the fridge handle had chipped and corroded like overnight! C'mon, I thought,
>> this is crazy. I had the windows open and a fan going. This shouldn't of
>> happened. But it did.

>
> Why do you think they used chlorine as a war gas? Baaaaadddd stuff.

The only thing he did do right was not mix household ammonia with his
concoction. That would have sent him to the ER, if not worse...


__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

 
Reply With Quote
 
mrk_digital
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003

"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BBC94EF5.21A79%(E-Mail Removed)...
| On 11/1/03 6:42 AM, in article ATNob.12544$(E-Mail Removed),
| >
| >
| I'm surprised that his lungs still work. What an idiot!

I mixed 5 gallons of water to 1 quart of shock. My sense of smell didn't return
for about three days.
I won't do it again but I must say the floor looks great.
Mark_

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kevin McMurtrie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
"mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I wet mopped the kitchen's hardwood floor a couple of weeks ago. I was
> trying to lighten the wood so I used some (actually a lot) liquid pool shock
> (12% chlorine versus 3%-5% for normal chlorine bleach).
>
> Later I discovered my rechargeable batteries' outer casings deteriorated
> somewhat near the positive ends. Three other sets of batteries I keep in
> another part of the house weren't effected.
>
> I didn't make the connection at first but then I noticed small areas near
> the fridge handle had chipped and corroded like overnight! C'mon, I thought,
> this is crazy. I had the windows open and a fan going. This shouldn't of
> happened. But it did.
> Mark_
>


Yep, chlorine gas can combust many metals at normal atmospheric
temperature and pressure. It's good at destroying human flesh too. Got
septic shock from your rotting lungs yet?
 
Reply With Quote
 
George Kerby
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003
On 11/1/03 3:32 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
"mrk_digital" <XXX-RIR.Comcast.com> wrote:

>
> "George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BBC94EF5.21A79%(E-Mail Removed)...
> | On 11/1/03 6:42 AM, in article ATNob.12544$(E-Mail Removed),
> | >
> | >
> | I'm surprised that his lungs still work. What an idiot!
>
> I mixed 5 gallons of water to 1 quart of shock. My sense of smell didn't
> return
> for about three days.
> I won't do it again but I must say the floor looks great.
> Mark_
>

I'm glad you didn't get a lung infection and are still with us. I learned to
wear my SCUBA air tank and mask whenever I blast my moldy/mildewed shower
with just chlorox (only 5% sodium hypochloride). Chlorine is a VERY reactive
element and should be used carefully. I'm sure you're proud of your floor
but I wouldn't recommend your method to Bob Vila.


__________________________________________________ _____________________________
Posted Via Uncensored-News.Com - Accounts Starting At $6.95 - http://www.uncensored-news.com
<><><><><><><> The Worlds Uncensored News Source <><><><><><><><>

 
Reply With Quote
 
BLueCoBra
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2003

"Kevin McMurtrie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "mark_digital" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I wet mopped the kitchen's hardwood floor a couple of weeks ago. I was
> > trying to lighten the wood so I used some (actually a lot) liquid pool

shock
> > (12% chlorine versus 3%-5% for normal chlorine bleach).
> >
> > Later I discovered my rechargeable batteries' outer casings deteriorated
> > somewhat near the positive ends. Three other sets of batteries I keep

in
> > another part of the house weren't effected.
> >
> > I didn't make the connection at first but then I noticed small areas

near
> > the fridge handle had chipped and corroded like overnight! C'mon, I

thought,
> > this is crazy. I had the windows open and a fan going. This shouldn't of
> > happened. But it did.
> > Mark_
> >

>
> Yep, chlorine gas can combust many metals at normal atmospheric
> temperature and pressure. It's good at destroying human flesh too. Got
> septic shock from your rotting lungs yet?


I nominate him for a Darwin Award if he knocks off. Should place in the top
20 somewhere



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
don't like, so don't waste your time thinking and buy them. You know,if you don't like one thing, it means nothing for you.</p> fashion t shirts seller Cisco 0 06-13-2011 02:01 AM
[OT] Something You Should Know Callenbach DVD Video 1 03-06-2008 01:05 PM
.net takes some mesures to prevent the buffer overrun, I want to know something about it Nico C++ 2 10-15-2006 06:42 PM
Windows XP Activation Explained. Something every hardware enthusiast should know Silverstrand Front Page News 0 09-07-2006 11:00 AM
I know, I know, I don't know Andries Perl Misc 3 04-23-2004 02:17 AM



Advertisments