Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C-5050 boxed difference between refurbished and new

Olympus C-5050 boxed difference between refurbished and new

Jerry Nash

Can one tell the difference between a refurbished Olympus C-5050 and
a new one? Are the warranty cards different? Any differences at all?

Bob Niland

> Jerry Nash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Can one tell the difference between a
> refurbished Olympus C-5050 and a new one?

The fingerprint on the lens?

All seriousness aside, if the manufacturer
is competent, the refurb is the equivalent
of new, including warranty. May even have
had that fatal safety recall attended to

Problems I have had or heard about with
refurbs include:

* Cosmetic damage.

* Over-stamped or obviously re-issued
serial number that may reduce resale
value (or impair collectibility decades
from now .

* Not current firmware. Not current
engineering version in other respects.

* Some collateral missing, because the
minimum-wage repacker overlooked it.

* Disputable defects - original customer
returned for stuck/hot/dead pixel(s).
Maker's "secret spec" said "not a defect",
but made original customer happy anyway.

* NTFs that weren't (returned for defect,
but No Trouble Found). Resold with same
latent problem. You'll find it eventually
(I fixed mine - some tape in the works
of a laser printer).

* Memory card loaded with previous owner's
X-rated images (seriously, I know someone
who bought a refurb PC, complete with
porno links left by the original owner).

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

John O.

says...

> Can one tell the difference between a refurbished Olympus C-5050 and
> a new one? Are the warranty cards different? Any differences at all?

All the refurbs I've seen from Olympus have a 90 day warranty.

--
John O.
There is no slack in light attack.

Jerry Nash

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:35:26 -0600, Bob Niland <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Jerry Nash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Can one tell the difference between a
>> refurbished Olympus C-5050 and a new one?

>The fingerprint on the lens?
>
>All seriousness aside, if the manufacturer
>is competent, the refurb is the equivalent
>of new, including warranty. May even have
>had that fatal safety recall attended to

Thanks. I don't think I was clear enough in my
original question. *How* can a consumer tell the
difference between a new Olympus C-5050 and a
refurbished one?

AT

i do not know oly. but i bought a refur. 35mm lens from nikon.
the box was silver. in opposition to the usual gold.
it was marked refurbished too.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...