Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rechargeable batteries

Rechargeable batteries

Richard Erde

I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
they cost a lot more.

Robertwgross

Richard wrote:
>I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
>batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
>with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
>know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
>they cost a lot more.

Duh? The chemistry is different.

CRV3 is a primary lithium battery.

AA NiMH is a rechargeable battery.

Big difference.

---Bob Gross---

Joseph Meehan

Well they are different. You may want to consider a few facts.

You can double the useful capacity, by owning four batteries. Not all
NIMH batteries are created equal. Not all chargers are equal. They do get
old and loose capacity.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Richard Erde" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0qCob.16154$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
> batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
> with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
> know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even

though
> they cost a lot more.

JK

What nimh batteries are you using? Some last much longer than others.
Buy a few sets of high quality nimh batteries.

Richard Erde wrote:

> I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
> batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
> with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
> know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
> they cost a lot more.

Ron Hunter

Richard Erde wrote:

> I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
> batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
> with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
> know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
> they cost a lot more.

The CRV3 battery is a lithium ion battery. The chemistry is better in
several ways, not the least of which is power density. It also has
vastly longer shelf life. However, it costs more initially and is not
rechargeable. The NIMH batteries are a LOT cheaper, and can be
recharged hundreds of times. If your picture taking is sporadic, and
you want the camera to be ready to go when you are, and you don't want
to mess with recharging, then the CRV3 batteries are probably just what
you need. If you take a lot of pictures, however, the NIMH is enough
cheaper that it makes sense. Be sure to buy NIMH batteries with at
least 1800 mAhr rating, and a good smart charger. NIMH batteries take a
few charge cycles to reach their full potential.

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Richard Erde wrote:
>
>> I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
>> batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
>> with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
>> know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
>> they cost a lot more.
>>

>The CRV3 battery is a lithium ion battery.

The CR-V3 uses lithium-manganese dioxide chemistry, which is **NOT**
lithium ion.

Ron Hunter

Mike S. wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Richard Erde wrote:
>>

>>>I use an Olympus D40 that uses two AA rechargeable NIMH batteries. These
>>>batteries don't last very long between charges. However, a CRV3 battery
>>>with equivalent voltage lasts more than four times as long. I'd like to
>>>know why. I have started using them because of their long life, even though
>>>they cost a lot more.
>>>

>>The CRV3 battery is a lithium ion battery.

> The CR-V3 uses lithium-manganese dioxide chemistry, which is **NOT**
> lithium ion.

Sorry, not quite awake when I posted that. I am so used to typing 'ion'
following 'lithium' that reflex took over. You are correct of course,
lithium ion batteries are the rechageable type....

John

Not to mention the capacities. I have an Archos 20MB MP3 player I
bought when I got my Element this summer. The standard batteries that
came with it were OK, but for a whopping $20 or so I was able to buy 4
new larger capacity ones. They last about half again as long as the
ones that came with it. Now I just use one set, charge the other,
swap out when the one I'm using is low.