Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > perl 5.8.2 threads on Linux/NPTL

perl 5.8.2 threads on Linux/NPTL

Al Tobey

I was building perl 5.8.2 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3.0 (AS) today and
noticed that it included in it's ccflags "-DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS." I am
building with -Dusethreads. With newer Linux distributions using the
Native Posix Threading Layer (NPTL), this isn't entirely true anymore and
is AFAIK unsupported (using a pid to signal/identify threads). I removed
it from my config.sh script and ran Configure -der. make test runs just
fine.

Just thought I should mention it ...
-Al Tobey

Relevant portion of make test output with the flag removed:
ext/threads/shared/t/0nothread.......ok
ext/threads/shared/t/av_refs.........ok
ext/threads/shared/t/av_simple.......ok
ext/threads/shared/t/cond............ok