Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony DSC-V1 vs Sony DSC-F717

Sony DSC-V1 vs Sony DSC-F717

digcam

The specifications for the Sony DSCV1 and the Sony DSCF717 are fairly
similar and I wondered whether you would get better picture quality from the
larger F717 seeing that they are both 5MP cameras. I realise that the F717
has 5X optical zoom and that the V1 has only 4x optical zoom, but would the
larger lense of the F717 be likely to produce a noticeably sharper 6 x 4
inch picture than the V1, or would you only see an improvement with a really
big enlargement? The V1 with battery weighs only 300g, but the F717 weighs
about 700g, so I wondered whether it is really worth carting around the
heavier camera?

Regards, Rob

Rick

"digcam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Y1gob.4100$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The specifications for the Sony DSCV1 and the Sony DSCF717 are fairly
> similar and I wondered whether you would get better picture quality from the
> larger F717 seeing that they are both 5MP cameras. I realise that the F717
> has 5X optical zoom and that the V1 has only 4x optical zoom, but would the
> larger lense of the F717 be likely to produce a noticeably sharper 6 x 4
> inch picture than the V1, or would you only see an improvement with a really
> big enlargement? The V1 with battery weighs only 300g, but the F717 weighs
> about 700g, so I wondered whether it is really worth carting around the
> heavier camera?

Look at the side-by-side images here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/page17.asp

Pay close attention to the comments about the V1's auto white
balance, color casts, and the notes about too much blue in the
reds and too much greens in the yellows. In other words it's
like the F717, only worse.

Rick

Q. Lu

the lens on F717 is much faster at F/2-2.4, and it has 58mm filter thread so
you can use filters and wide/tele convertors directly.

"digcam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Y1gob.4100$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The specifications for the Sony DSCV1 and the Sony DSCF717 are fairly
> similar and I wondered whether you would get better picture quality from

the
> larger F717 seeing that they are both 5MP cameras. I realise that the F717
> has 5X optical zoom and that the V1 has only 4x optical zoom, but would

the
> larger lense of the F717 be likely to produce a noticeably sharper 6 x 4
> inch picture than the V1, or would you only see an improvement with a

really
> big enlargement? The V1 with battery weighs only 300g, but the F717 weighs
> about 700g, so I wondered whether it is really worth carting around the
> heavier camera?
>
> Regards, Rob

digcam

Thanks Rick for this web reference. I guess the sharpness / clarity of the
pictures of the V1 and the F717 would be almost identical bearing in mind
the following quote from the review you refer to:

"The absolute resolution of all four cameras on this page is very similar,
all managed approximately 1400 lines per picture height in the horizontal
direction and 1300 lines per picture height in the vertical direction. The
Sony's managed to continue the ability to resolve detail further than Canon
or Nikon, perhaps Sony use a weaker anti-alias filter or have better
optimized demosaic algorithms."

I am not too worried about color casts, these can be amended quite readily
in a good imaging program, but the quality of the image is the main factor
IMHO.

Regards, Rob

news:bns4dc$14e1q0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "digcam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:Y1gob.4100$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The specifications for the Sony DSCV1 and the Sony DSCF717 are fairly
> > similar and I wondered whether you would get better picture quality from

the
> > larger F717 seeing that they are both 5MP cameras. I realise that the

F717
> > has 5X optical zoom and that the V1 has only 4x optical zoom, but would

the
> > larger lense of the F717 be likely to produce a noticeably sharper 6 x 4
> > inch picture than the V1, or would you only see an improvement with a

really
> > big enlargement? The V1 with battery weighs only 300g, but the F717

weighs
> > about 700g, so I wondered whether it is really worth carting around the
> > heavier camera?

> Look at the side-by-side images here:
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscv1/page17.asp
>
> Pay close attention to the comments about the V1's auto white
> balance, color casts, and the notes about too much blue in the
> reds and too much greens in the yellows. In other words it's
> like the F717, only worse.
>
> Rick

John Bean

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:41:12 +1300, digcam wrote:

> Thanks Rick for this web reference. I guess the sharpness / clarity of the
> pictures of the V1 and the F717 would be almost identical bearing in mind
> the following quote from the review you refer to:

I have a V1 and know several people who have F717s, I think you'll be
pleased with the images from either. Make your decision based on the size
and handling - they have *very* different ergonomics.

--
Regards

John Bean

Rick

"digcam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Rciob.4124$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Rick for this web reference. I guess the sharpness / clarity of the
> pictures of the V1 and the F717 would be almost identical bearing in mind
> the following quote from the review you refer to:
>
> "The absolute resolution of all four cameras on this page is very similar,
> all managed approximately 1400 lines per picture height in the horizontal
> direction and 1300 lines per picture height in the vertical direction. The
> Sony's managed to continue the ability to resolve detail further than Canon
> or Nikon, perhaps Sony use a weaker anti-alias filter or have better
> optimized demosaic algorithms."
>
> I am not too worried about color casts, these can be amended quite readily
> in a good imaging program

....most of the time, but sometimes only with a lot of effort. And
in a few cases not at all, at least IME with the F717. Especially
in overcast lighting, trying to restore life to images is a *major*
chore.

Rick

Unclaimed Mysteries

Rick wrote in part:
> "digcam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in part:

Thirty-five minutes until you responded. You're getting slow, Rick.

http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net