Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Newbie question(long)

Newbie question(long)

Coleman E. Howard

I am new at this, I did have a Kodak 290, but busted it up. I like the
viewfinder+LCD type digital cameras, and not rich.

Here is what I did. I saw Fuji Finepix S5000 at Sears, for $499. I
purchased it for, it came to $525 with tax. Start taking pics for a couple
days, like it a lot. Okay, now for some small add ons.. Come to find out,
the same camera on the net was listed as low as $287, to $525.. I felt like
a fool having spent $525. Took the camera back to my local Sears store, and
ask for some kind of adjustment. Sears refused, I reluctantly returned the
camera and got a refund. If it was just $50 more, :I wouldn't have bothered,
but we are talking over $150+ savings..

Now, I started searching the internet for the best price, and started
reading some of the reviews. Some weren't so good, and most were saying that
the real low prices the venders would pressure you for high price
accessories.

So, I called J&R music world, were I get my audio/video stuff from, and have
full confidence in.. They told me that the best they could do was
$425+shipping on the Finepix S5000. I am looking at prices of $309 and $287
from the other vendors. J&R told me that those vendors couldn't sell me a
new camera that way, and the camera listed at the price was not new!

Ok, I am a cheapskate, and I ride high speed motorcycles, so I am ready to
take a chance. J&R would save me about $75 over the Sears price, but I was
shooting for more. I called a couple of the low price mail order vendors,
and true to form, they said they had the camera in stock, and it was new,
but went on to ask me if I wanted this and that.. I said no.. then they
changed their tune..

The next day, I am a little more wiser, so I called some of the same
vendor's back, and use another approach. I started off telling them that I
am not interested in ANY accessories, I also told them that I understand
that in order to sell their cameras at the real low price, they must sell
accessories. I told them give me their BOTTOM LINE price on what they could
sell me a brand new S5000 for, + shipping. One vendor who had listed at
$$287, to me he could sell me a brand new camera, with no accessories for
$340+$30 for shipping.. Total cost $370. I told them I would call back.
Called another vendor who had their S5000 listed for $309, and asked them
the same exact thing. He told me he could sell me a brand new in the box, US
model Finepix S5000 for $340+$25 for shipping. I accepted.

I hit the number. The camera arrived one week later exactly like the vender
said. The camera was brand new in the box. After 5 days, the camera is
perfect.. The vendor that I luckily choose happened to be a good one. Hello
Camera.

Now, for accessories, I found a 128mb FujiXD card for $66 locally. However,
the daggone AC adapter is going for $50..

Now, if the experts will tell me if I made a good mover here. I copied the
model number of the Fuji Ac adapter, did a search, and came up with a low of
$14.99. to a high of $57.. However, when I called the low 14.99 vendor, they
told me it was a copy/generic of the Fuji adapter but works 100%
compatible.. Okay, I took a chance on that, that hasn't come yet..

Crazy about the little camera, and I haven't even begun to get into all the
features this thing can do. I ride sportbikes, I wanted an Slr type digital,
with a viewfinder, not too big, and not too expensive..

Did I luck out with the low price mail order vendor, and will that generic
adapter be okay for this camera?

I think I luck out..

Didn't mean to run it

ceh
Finepix s5000

Azzz1588

In article <bnqsjf$qc6$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Coleman E. Howard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Ok, I am a cheapskate, and I ride high speed motorcycles,

Ya know... these two added together equal organ doner...

Please tell me you have a REAL set of leathers ??
(and a quality full face to go with them)

If you can afford the bike, you can afford to do business with a
real place that sells camera's
That said, I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.........

Xiaoding

Sears pays their reservist's employees FULL SALARY while they are in
service, FOR THE DURATION. I wonder how much the cheapo people pay?

Ralph Mowery

> The next day, I am a little more wiser, so I called some of the same
> vendor's back, and use another approach. I started off telling them that

> am not interested in ANY accessories, I also told them that I understand
> that in order to sell their cameras at the real low price, they must sell
> accessories. I told them give me their BOTTOM LINE price on what they

could
> sell me a brand new S5000 for, + shipping. One vendor who had listed at
> $$287, to me he could sell me a brand new camera, with no accessories for
> $340+$30 for shipping.. Total cost $370. I told them I would call back.
> Called another vendor who had their S5000 listed for $309, and asked them
> the same exact thing. He told me he could sell me a brand new in the box,

US
> model Finepix S5000 for $340+$25 for shipping. I accepted.

You should have looked here.
http://www.shopharmony.com/

I ordered a 2600 from them abut a year and a half ago and it was new and in
the same box as in a local store. Others I know have ordered from them and
had no problems. Arrived in less than a week.

Coleman E. Howard

"Azzz1588" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <bnqsjf$qc6$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Coleman E. Howard"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >Ok, I am a cheapskate, and I ride high speed motorcycles,

> Ya know... these two added together equal organ doner...
>
> Please tell me you have a REAL set of leathers ??
> (and a quality full face to go with them)
>
> If you can afford the bike, you can afford to do business with a
> real place that sells camera's
> That said, I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.........

Oh, am I the only one on this newsgroup that tries to save money, and get
good service/product too?????

Well I be dam, I am in a selct group!

Not bike, bikes, and one of them has hand made pipes from Japan, but what
the f--k does that have to do with me trying to get a good price on a
camera???

The camera I got was real, and I am tickled pink.(big wide grin)

Here are pics I took of my babies (yes I call them babies) with the Finepix
s5000..

http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/RC-28
http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/gx-28

The boots I wear cost over $250, so you can guess on the leathers.. By the
way, I have 3 shoei helmets, and the shield on one cost about $70..

Why you think I am try to save money? So, I can spend it on my first love,
for riding around curves very swiftly!

ceh
Finepix s5000
(63 & growing old gracefully)

Coleman E. Howard

"Xiaoding" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Sears pays their reservist's employees FULL SALARY while they are in
> service, FOR THE DURATION. I wonder how much the cheapo people pay?

To tell the truth, I don't give a dam.. I sure am getting a lot of patriotic
bullshit over asking about the price of camera.. A while back, I saw the
people that thought like you, brandishing the slogan "buy American".. And
now the same bullshiters are riding around in Jap stuff, looking at Jap
video, listen to Jap sound, and even the dam Harley Davidson has **** on it
made it Japan. I will stick with the cheapo people that, make a small
profit, and let me save something.

You go to Sears, give them your cash, I am spending mine!

ceh
Finepix s5000
(63 & not dealing with a full deck)

Coleman E. Howard

"Ralph Mowery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The next day, I am a little more wiser, so I called some of the same
> > vendor's back, and use another approach. I started off telling them

that
> > am not interested in ANY accessories, I also told them that I understand
> > that in order to sell their cameras at the real low price, they must

sell
> > accessories. I told them give me their BOTTOM LINE price on what they

> could
> > sell me a brand new S5000 for, + shipping. One vendor who had listed at
> > $$287, to me he could sell me a brand new camera, with no accessories

for
> > $340+$30 for shipping.. Total cost $370. I told them I would call back.
> > Called another vendor who had their S5000 listed for $309, and asked

them
> > the same exact thing. He told me he could sell me a brand new in the

box,
> US
> > model Finepix S5000 for $340+$25 for shipping. I accepted.
> >

> You should have looked here.
> http://www.shopharmony.com/
>
> I ordered a 2600 from them abut a year and a half ago and it was new and

in
> the same box as in a local store. Others I know have ordered from them

and
> had no problems. Arrived in less than a week.

Sounds good, I am keeping a list of these companies, that offer knockout
prices, and deliver the goods! Not all of them are like that.. I lucked out
with Hello Camera, and I see you did too. Maybe down the line when my limbs
get to old to sling across my sportbikes, I will take up photography as a
hobby, and you can be sure I will be looking for some high-end stuff, at
good prices..

Thanks for the reply,

ceh
Finepix s5000
(63 & growing old gracefully)

jean

Coleman,

Go to alt.binaries.pictures.motorcycles.sportbikes you will find a great
group of guys into bikes and just about anything else, including cameras.
As long as you are cool and don't have a chip on your shoulder, you will be
welcomed with open arms.

Nice looking bikes BTW

Good riding

Jean

"Coleman E. Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:bnse17$jdf$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Azzz1588" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <bnqsjf$qc6$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Coleman E. Howard"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> > >Ok, I am a cheapskate, and I ride high speed motorcycles,

> > Ya know... these two added together equal organ doner...
> >
> > Please tell me you have a REAL set of leathers ??
> > (and a quality full face to go with them)
> >
> > If you can afford the bike, you can afford to do business with a
> > real place that sells camera's
> > That said, I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.........

> Oh, am I the only one on this newsgroup that tries to save money, and get
> good service/product too?????
>
> Well I be dam, I am in a selct group!
>
> Not bike, bikes, and one of them has hand made pipes from Japan, but what
> the f--k does that have to do with me trying to get a good price on a
> camera???
>
> The camera I got was real, and I am tickled pink.(big wide grin)
>
> Here are pics I took of my babies (yes I call them babies) with the

Finepix
> s5000..
>
> http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/RC-28
> http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/gx-28
>
> The boots I wear cost over $250, so you can guess on the leathers.. By the
> way, I have 3 shoei helmets, and the shield on one cost about $70..
>
> Why you think I am try to save money? So, I can spend it on my first love,
> for riding around curves very swiftly!
>
> ceh
> Finepix s5000
> (63 & growing old gracefully)

MikeWhy

"Coleman E. Howard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnse17$jdf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/gx-28
>
> The boots I wear cost over $250, so you can guess on the leathers.. By the
> way, I have 3 shoei helmets, and the shield on one cost about $70..

Nuthin at all wrong with squared off tires and mile wide chicken strips.
Nuthin at all, and don't let anyone tell you different.

> Why you think I am try to save money? So, I can spend it on my first love,
> for riding around curves very swiftly!

> (63 & growing old gracefully)

Yup. Survival is a good thing.

And if you ask me, you don't need a new camera. Just like the bikes: It's
the man, not the gear.

Alan Terry

In article <bnse17$jdf$(E-Mail Removed)>, Coleman E. Howard
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>Here are pics I took of my babies (yes I call them babies) with the Finepix
>s5000..
>
>http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/RC-28
>http://users.erols.com/clbphoto/gx-28

What's that yellow plastic bag doing in the Honda shot?

The photos I would really like to see are ones taken from the bike when
the pegs are down!

--