Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Will other Camera manufactures follow Sigma's lead, and disclose more info?

Reply
Thread Tools

Will other Camera manufactures follow Sigma's lead, and disclose more info?

 
 
George Preddy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003
Sigma now insists, where enough information can be show the SD-9/10 must be
listed as...
"10.2 MP (3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green + 3.4 MP Blue)"

Will all other Bayer manufactures follow suit and disclose how their colors
are really formed? For example, the Canon 10D should now be listed as...
"6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue )"

Or, even more accurately...
"6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue - 1.58 MP Green )"




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tom Thackrey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003

On 28-Oct-2003, "George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Sigma now insists, where enough information can be show the SD-9/10 must
> be
> listed as...
> "10.2 MP (3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green + 3.4 MP Blue)"
>
> Will all other Bayer manufactures follow suit and disclose how their
> colors
> are really formed? For example, the Canon 10D should now be listed as...
> "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue )"
>
> Or, even more accurately...
> "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue - 1.58 MP Green )"


Probably not, Sigma is to cameras what Gary Coleman is to politics.

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com
tom (at) creative (dash) light (dot) com
do NOT send email to http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (it's reserved for spammers)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
George Preddy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003

"Tom Thackrey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsSFnb.6604$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
> On 28-Oct-2003, "George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Sigma now insists, where enough information can be show the SD-9/10 must
> > be
> > listed as...
> > "10.2 MP (3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green + 3.4 MP Blue)"
> >
> > Will all other Bayer manufactures follow suit and disclose how their
> > colors
> > are really formed? For example, the Canon 10D should now be listed

as...
> > "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue )"
> >
> > Or, even more accurately...
> > "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue - 1.58 MP Green )"

>
> Probably not, Sigma is to cameras what Gary Coleman is to politics.


That is another interesting, facts-based approach to digital photography I
hadn't considered, thanks so much.



> tom (at) creative (dash) light (dot) com
> do NOT send email to (E-Mail Removed) (it's reserved for spammers)



 
Reply With Quote
 
Paolo Pizzi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003
Tom Thackrey wrote:

> Probably not, Sigma is to cameras what Gary Coleman is to politics.


LOL

Still, I'd rather have a has-been midget for governor
than a Hitler-admiring groper...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bay Area Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003
LOL!

Tom Thackrey wrote:
snip
> Probably not, Sigma is to cameras what Gary Coleman is to politics.
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gary Eickmeier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003


George Preddy wrote:
> Sigma now insists, where enough information can be show the SD-9/10 must be
> listed as...
> "10.2 MP (3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green + 3.4 MP Blue)"
>
> Will all other Bayer manufactures follow suit and disclose how their colors
> are really formed? For example, the Canon 10D should now be listed as...
> "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue )"
>
> Or, even more accurately...
> "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue - 1.58 MP Green )"


George, I really enjoy your pictures and your enthusiasm, but...

.... when I print your sample pix, my image processing program reads
something like, "8.5 x 12 inches at 180 ppi." When I print my Oly E20,
it reads something like, "8.5 x 11.3 inches at 226 ppi." How can this
be, if your camera has 10.2 MP and mine has only 5?

Gary Eickmeier

 
Reply With Quote
 
George Preddy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003

"Gary Eickmeier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsRGnb.88555$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>
> George Preddy wrote:
> > Sigma now insists, where enough information can be show the SD-9/10 must

be
> > listed as...
> > "10.2 MP (3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green + 3.4 MP Blue)"
> >
> > Will all other Bayer manufactures follow suit and disclose how their

colors
> > are really formed? For example, the Canon 10D should now be listed

as...
> > "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue )"
> >
> > Or, even more accurately...
> > "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue - 1.58 MP Green )"

>
> George, I really enjoy your pictures and your enthusiasm, but...
>
> ... when I print your sample pix, my image processing program reads
> something like, "8.5 x 12 inches at 180 ppi." When I print my Oly E20,
> it reads something like, "8.5 x 11.3 inches at 226 ppi." How can this
> be, if your camera has 10.2 MP and mine has only 5?


Bayer outputs interpolated files (scaled up) by default.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Albert Nurick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003
"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bnn6fc$e7h$(E-Mail Removed):

> Sigma now insists, where enough information can be show the SD-9/10
> must be listed as...
> "10.2 MP (3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green + 3.4 MP Blue)"


If you can't beat 'em with the product, get the marketeers and lawyers
involved. I guess Sigma doesn't have much to lose.

If you use r.p.d as a sample audience, the effort failed; it appears that
you were the only one taken in by this hype, and dozens of folks weren't...
and are rather offended that their intelligence is being insulted by
Sigma's marketing department.

> Will all other Bayer manufactures follow suit and disclose how their
> colors are really formed? For example, the Canon 10D should now be
> listed as... "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue )"


Why? Everyone else but Foveon (well, except Fuji) is all on the same page,
and the tests confirm this.

> Or, even more accurately...
> "6.3 MP (1.58 MP Red + 3.16 MP Green + 1.58 MP Blue - 1.58 MP Green )"


Who on earth would care, other than you, George? Who would buy it, when
the tests (the objective ones, not the artificial benchmarks designed to
take advantage of the the quirks of the Foveon design) show that under this
"improved Sigma" nomenclature, a 6.3MP camera outperforms a 10.2MP one in
terms of extinction resolution?

--
Albert Nurick www.TheDeliciousLife.com
(E-Mail Removed) A guide to the good life
www.nurick.com in Houston, Texas
 
Reply With Quote
 
Azzz1588
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003
In article <bnn6fc$e7h$(E-Mail Removed)>, "George Preddy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>"10.2 MP (3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green + 3.4 MP Blue)"


And yet, there are only 3.4 mp to recieve the data.
Hmmm... Must be new math...................























"Only a Gentleman can insult me, and a true Gentleman never will..."


 
Reply With Quote
 
George Preddy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2003

"Azzz1588" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <bnn6fc$e7h$(E-Mail Removed)>, "George Preddy"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >"10.2 MP (3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green + 3.4 MP Blue)"

>
> And yet, there are only 3.4 mp to recieve the data.
> Hmmm... Must be new math...................


How many pixels are needed to perfectly represent 3.4 MP Red + 3.4 MP Green
+ 3.4 MP Blue samples?

New math indeed.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Implementation, Disclose or not? thomas C++ 3 08-17-2010 04:54 PM
does anyone know where i can get to hipoint manufactures web site please Anthony Crowder Computer Support 12 03-19-2007 01:18 AM
Why do HD manufactures mislead us? Stan R. Computer Information 10 12-22-2005 07:54 PM
Who manufactures this RadioShack component? URAQT2 Computer Support 14 01-08-2005 05:05 PM
Re: IOS exploit: please disclose vehicle, not mechanism jankemi(remove) Cisco 16 07-25-2003 05:16 PM



Advertisments