Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > want to use watercolor paper in my Epson CX5200-help!

want to use watercolor paper in my Epson CX5200-help!

ellegirl

I want to print out a picture on watercolor paper, but don't even know
where to start; what kind of watercolor paper is compatible with my
computer printer (Epson CX5200)? Also, how true is the image to a
"real" watercolor painting?

Thanks!

Bill Hilton

>From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (ellegirl)

>I want to print out a picture on watercolor paper, but don't even know
>where to start; what kind of watercolor paper is compatible with my
>computer printer (Epson CX5200)?

I'm not familiar with this model but Epson provides two types of watercolor or
fine art paper for their 2200 pigment ink model, Velvet Fine Art (which is very
similar to Somerset Velvet Photo Enhanced) and Watercolor - Radiant White. You
could try one of those (maybe not the Watercolor since it's only sold as 13x19"
sheets) but I'm guessing your printer is one of the 4 color business models and
not the Photo Stylus models?

>Also, how true is the image to a "real" watercolor painting?

You can actually use the identical watercolor paper that's used for painting
(try Somerset Velvet or similar, like Arches or Hahnemuhle) but the inks bleed
too much into the paper unless it's coated a little bit, so it's not the same
as painting and the blacks look very weak and washed out. If your image looks
sufficiently painterly to start with then it will print well and look nice on
the right papers, but you need to have a good starting image and use a paper
well-suited for your printer and inks.

Here's a site that sells many kinds of arty paper, including watercolor, for
inkjets. Maybe they can answer your question as to what's best for your
CX5200. You can also buy a 14 sheet (uncoated papers) or 18 sheet (coated
papers) sampler pack and try various papers for a few bucks each. There's a
lot of good info on this site for printing.

http://www.inkjetart.com/art_papers.html

Bill

Argon3

I'm not real sure about the bleeding factor with conventional, store-bought
watercolor paper. I was under the impression that regular (non-inkjet
manufacturer made) watercolor paper has a certain amount of sizing applied to
it. Sizing is a coating that is usually referred to as a "glue" that fills the
pores of the paper. I have heard of people who do gum bichromate printing
having to size their own paper before beginning to apply the various coatings
of emulsion necessary for the process...perhaps a little research on
alternative photo processes such as gum printing (on the net or from books) can
shed some light on the sizing issue for you.
Just buy a pad of Strathmore or Canson watercolor paper and give it a test...I
would not go any heavier than the 140lb stock and I would start with a cold
press type paper which has less texture than some of the others. Be sure to
set the thickness adjustment to an appropriate level and try a couple of tests
using different paper profiles (the glossy film setting, the photo paper
settings, the matte heavyweight setting). See what most closely gets you what
you want. You'll use some ink but that seems to be part of the game when
trying to achieve an effect.

argon

Phil Kempster

Have a browse around this commercial site http://www.inkjetart.com/
they have a lot of information on papers for fine printing.

But Argon3's suggestion is the best:-

"Find out what you've got to know" to quote Fred Picker.

Then please come back and enlighten the rest of us
Phil

Argon3 wrote:
> I'm not real sure about the bleeding factor with conventional, store-bought
> watercolor paper. I was under the impression that regular (non-inkjet
> manufacturer made) watercolor paper has a certain amount of sizing applied to
> it. Sizing is a coating that is usually referred to as a "glue" that fills the
> pores of the paper. I have heard of people who do gum bichromate printing
> having to size their own paper before beginning to apply the various coatings
> of emulsion necessary for the process...perhaps a little research on
> alternative photo processes such as gum printing (on the net or from books) can
> shed some light on the sizing issue for you.
> Just buy a pad of Strathmore or Canson watercolor paper and give it a test...I
> would not go any heavier than the 140lb stock and I would start with a cold
> press type paper which has less texture than some of the others. Be sure to
> set the thickness adjustment to an appropriate level and try a couple of tests
> using different paper profiles (the glossy film setting, the photo paper
> settings, the matte heavyweight setting). See what most closely gets you what
> you want. You'll use some ink but that seems to be part of the game when
> trying to achieve an effect.
>
> argon

artswoman artswoman is offline
Junior Member

I've been hunting online for weeks and this is the first place that made any sense and I did't feel like someone was trying to sell me paper or a line of printers. Thank you for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilton View Post