Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advantages/disadvantage of XD Memory

Advantages/disadvantage of XD Memory

Walter E.

Fuji and Olympus have come out with a new compact memory: The xd Camera
Card.

Is the XD memory better or worse than the older types of camera memory
chips?

Thanks for any insight

--
Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

Omega

XD cards are more secure. You can lock em which prevents accidental deletion
of data. They are also faster and consume less power than Smart media cards.
Not to mention it's the smallest flash memory card yet. Problem is, they're
not so widely available yet, meaning higher price. I've seen Fuji XD cards
on tigerdirect.com / *.ca for reasonable price...

"Walter E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ldCnb.58234$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Fuji and Olympus have come out with a new compact memory: The xd Camera
> Card.
>
> Is the XD memory better or worse than the older types of camera memory
> chips?
>
> Thanks for any insight
>
> --
> Walter
> The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net
> -

Argon3

I've always thought that a stiff wind would blow one of those tiny things out
of your hand....small and easy to lose.

argon

Walter E. - typed:
> Fuji and Olympus have come out with a new compact memory: The xd
> Camera Card.
>
> Is the XD memory better or worse than the older types of camera memory
> chips?
>
> Thanks for any insight

You've partially answered your own question - Olympus & Fuji - a bit
like its predecessor. I don't know if SM could have been given much
greater capacity for the contact count/architecture or not but the 256MB
size never materialised. All these NAND based solutions have fairly
sluggish throughput & I wouldn't expect any current form factor to last
very long as a standard until the technology gives some worthwhile
bandwidth & capacity.

I think the dead storage cell management gets better with every new
iteration so they should be more reliable. It's probable that xD uses an
external CPU as did the SM card. Some would maintain the best format is
CF 'cos its so widely used, has an onboard CPU, can have high capacity &
can act as a holder for other card types, then there's the Microdrive. A
bit big for a phone though. The Olympus C5050 hedges its bets, taking CF
& xD - good for the owner but how much conviction have Oly got in xD's
success by doing so?

I'm glad I bought a 2nd 128MB SM card when the prices dipped - my C4040
is using obsolete media, though still obtainable. I thought something
was amiss with SM when SanDisk removed all their whitepapers etc from
their website ~2 yrs ago. Oly, IMO, made a tactical blunder launching xD
with far lower max capacity than its well established rivals & only Fuji
as a partner. At least they now come in 512MB even if you do need a f/w
update to use one as does the C-50! Having had my fingers burnt with SM,
I wouldn't make the same mistake twice. The fact so many cameras won't
take the higher capacity cards at all or need updating to do so, is
beyond me.