Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > need help with RF modulator and VHS dubbing

need help with RF modulator and VHS dubbing

Deb

I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned about
the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
effect.

I tried the 30 dollar RF modulator from Radio Shack, but it doenst seem to
work.

I am going from VCR (composite cables I think - left and right audio, video)
and going to RF modulator composite, then from modulators SVideo to digi
camcorder svideo, then from camcorder to PC via firewire.

Nothing is happening - No Signal.
How can I get around this?

Thanks a bunch
Deb

Ashley Guy

It could be that the RF modulator is also blocking the Macrovision source.
Have you tried feediing any other signal through?

--

Ashley Guy
Guy Graphics - DV Products and Support

Kev Richards

not sure about this but wouldnt you need to come of the RF output of the
modulator to get round the macrovision
i think also if your tv has comp vid out you could feed the TV from the
video via its RF signal ie arial cable
then feed the camcorder from the vid out from the tv
or buy the DVD..........this would seem cheaper and the quality would be
better

"Deb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bzcnb.18717$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
> player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned

about
> the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
> I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
> effect.
>
> I tried the 30 dollar RF modulator from Radio Shack, but it doenst seem to
> work.
>
> I am going from VCR (composite cables I think - left and right audio,

video)
> and going to RF modulator composite, then from modulators SVideo to digi
> camcorder svideo, then from camcorder to PC via firewire.
>
> Nothing is happening - No Signal.
> How can I get around this?
>
> Thanks a bunch
> Deb

Will Dormann

Deb wrote:

> I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
> player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned about
> the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
> I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
> effect.

Why don't you look at the answers to the first time you posted this
question?

-WD

Deb

I tried the suggestions: buying the modulator, connecting as directed, but
still nothing. Do I need a tv for tihs? I just want to get the video off
the vcr. I am a woman and don't totally understand all this, LOL. I just
know computers.

Thanks again
Deb

"Will Dormann" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsdenb.171813$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Deb wrote:
>
> > I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
> > player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned

about
> > the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
> > I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
> > effect.

> Why don't you look at the answers to the first time you posted this
> question?
>

> -WD

Will Dormann

Deb wrote:

> I tried the suggestions: buying the modulator, connecting as directed, but
> still nothing. Do I need a tv for tihs? I just want to get the video off
> the vcr. I am a woman and don't totally understand all this, LOL. I just
> know computers.

As I said before, you can use a time base corrector to remove the
macrovision. Or have somebody else do the capture who has hardware
that will ignore the macrovision.

-WD

GMAN

In article <mAfnb.22405$(E-Mail Removed)> , "Deb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I tried the suggestions: buying the modulator, connecting as directed, but
>still nothing. Do I need a tv for tihs? I just want to get the video off
>the vcr. I am a woman and don't totally understand all this, LOL. I just
>know computers.
>
>Thanks again
>Deb

www.videoguys.com/sima.htm

SIMA SCC $99

TheWebJunkie@webtv.net

1) Macrovision prevents you from copying DVDs onto videotape. It does
NOT prevent you from copying videotape onto DVDs because your home
movies do NOT contain Macrovision.

Can I assume that you are using a DVD burner? Without one, you cannot
make a DVD.

2) RF modulators convert composite video to RF, or they convert S-video
to RF. They do NOT convert composite video to S-video. If your
modulator has an S-video jack, it is for ACCEPTING S-video. Nothing
comes *out* of it. You do not need an RF modulator.

3) Are you sure that the S-video jack on your camcorder is intended to
ACCEPT video for the purpose of converting it to digital, and that it
isn't just an output? Check to see whether the camcorder has a
composite-video input (not output) intended to accept video for the
purpose of converting it to digital.

4) If your camcorder is not capable of converting external-source
composite video to digital, you can buy an analog-video/digital
conversion cable to plug into your PC's USB port. It is manufactured by
Dazzle.

Jon

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:26:31 GMT, "Deb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
>player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned about
>the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
>I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
>effect.
>
>I tried the 30 dollar RF modulator from Radio Shack, but it doenst seem to
>work.
>
>I am going from VCR (composite cables I think - left and right audio, video)
>and going to RF modulator composite, then from modulators SVideo to digi
>camcorder svideo, then from camcorder to PC via firewire.
>
>Nothing is happening - No Signal.
>How can I get around this?
>
>Thanks a bunch
>Deb

Deb, even being a woman, surely your time is worth SOMETHING.. ;^)

Wouldn't you have done better to have just gone and just purchased
another copy of this video rather than spend all the time and effort
trying to copy it yourself?

Richard Crowley

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:26:31 GMT, "Deb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I want to copy my VHS kid movie to a DVD to watch it upstairs on our DVD
> >player. This has become quite a task. From this newsgroup I learned

about
> >the macrovision problem and that is why it is not letting me dub.
> >I get the "copyright protected, dubbing restricted" or something to that
> >effect.
> >
> >I tried the 30 dollar RF modulator from Radio Shack, but it doenst seem

> >work.
> >
> >I am going from VCR (composite cables I think - left and right audio,

video)
> >and going to RF modulator composite, then from modulators SVideo to digi
> >camcorder svideo, then from camcorder to PC via firewire.
> >
> >Nothing is happening - No Signal.
> >How can I get around this?
> >
> >Thanks a bunch
> >Deb
> >

> Deb, even being a woman, surely your time is worth SOMETHING.. ;^)
>
> Wouldn't you have done better to have just gone and just purchased
> another copy of this video rather than spend all the time and effort
> trying to copy it yourself?

Besides the legalities, modulating a Macrovision protected signal onto
RF does not remove the Macrovision.