Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Standard ISO Hot shoe: PART 1

Standard ISO Hot shoe: PART 1

Donald Gray

Recently became digital with a Nikon 5700.

I have several old but high power electronic flash units. All of which
need to be used on a flash bar or off camera. All have the 'good old
miniature coax plug for cameras like the old Rollie,Leica et al....

Rather than get rid of them, I would like to use them with my digital
camera. In particular a Braun F80 unit with two extra slave heads.

I understand that the triggering voltage and current of the older type
flash units is not compatible with the triggering circuits in modern
cameras.

The Nikon, in line with many other cameras, has a standard ISO Hot
Shoe. I presume that this is a semiconductor circuit rather than a
'closing contact' switch. My primary interest is making up an
electronic interface for the ISO hot shoe so that I can safely trigger
the old flash units.

I would be most obliged if anyone can throw more light (pun not
intended!) on this subject. Details of the ISO pin outs? A suitable
interface circuit/schematic?
--
Donald Gray
www.odcombe.demon.co.uk