Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Checking to see if a call to the DB worked

Checking to see if a call to the DB worked

Stymiee

I'm writing a perl script to send out a joke of the day for my website.
It is accessing a mysql db (I use php for the rest of the site. This will
be a cron job so I figured perl would be better suited for that). I can
get it to do everything it is supposed to do to send a the joke via
email. But what I'm trying to do now is add some error checking so if
there is a problem, I can be notified about it.

What I need is to know how to check if a query was succcessful or not.
For example:

Code:

sub changeCurrentJOTD(){
$dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:database=$serverDb;host=
$serverName;port=$serverPort",$serverUser,$serverP ass);
$dbh->do("UPDATE jokes_content_test SET jotd='Yes' WHERE
jotd='today'");
$dbh->disconnect;
}

How do I check to see programatically if this was successful or not?

Nick Santos

change your do code to include "or &sqlerror" or some other error handling
subroutine like so:

$dbh->do("UPDATE jokes_content_test SET jotd='Yes' WHERE
jotd='today'") or &sqlerror;

#if it doesn't do it, do the subroutine sqlerror

sub sqlerror{
$dead = $dbh->err();
# err() returns the sql error
number in my sql. You can then use
# if statements to handle the
errors you think will occur
# if you don't know what the errors
are, then try to force some
# and use
$deadstr=$dbh->errstr();
# which will then give you
information in a sentence about the error that occurred
# so in the future you can do
better error handling and let it recover from the error
# once you know it occurred
print "error occurred - error number $dead - $deadstr";
# and maybe
die;
}

I hope I've been helpful and told you what you wanted to know
-Nick

"Stymiee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm writing a perl script to send out a joke of the day for my website.
> It is accessing a mysql db (I use php for the rest of the site. This will
> be a cron job so I figured perl would be better suited for that). I can
> get it to do everything it is supposed to do to send a the joke via
> email. But what I'm trying to do now is add some error checking so if
> there is a problem, I can be notified about it.
>
> What I need is to know how to check if a query was succcessful or not.
> For example:
>
> Code:
>
> sub changeCurrentJOTD(){
> $dbh = DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:database=$serverDb;host=
> $serverName;port=$serverPort",$serverUser,$serverP ass);
> $dbh->do("UPDATE jokes_content_test SET jotd='Yes' WHERE
> jotd='today'");
> $dbh->disconnect;
> }
>

> How do I check to see programatically if this was successful or not?

Has any one out there ever worked with the Rpyc,which is a remote process call for python Blubaugh, David A. Python 0 09-11-2008 10:01 PM
barcode scanners worked before SP2 =?Utf-8?B?c2x1ZGxvdw==?= Wireless Networking 1 08-23-2005 05:28 PM
cool it worked... stan MCSE 10 08-18-2005 01:52 PM
CAP to DMT worked Simon Telrenner Cisco 0 10-27-2003 05:11 PM
Re: Pix worked in Lab not in the field? Aaron Woody Cisco 0 10-20-2003 03:23 PM

Advertisments