Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > resizing for photo lab prints

resizing for photo lab prints

dwolf

Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your digitals to
the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping. Obviously I don't
want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality sake. I guess I would need to
find that correct proportion crop size... something quick and easy for
dealing with many photos. I use photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

Jim Townsend

dwolf wrote:

> Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your digitals to
> the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping. Obviously I don't
> want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality sake. I guess I would need to
> find that correct proportion crop size... something quick and easy for
> dealing with many photos. I use photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

Different image editors have different methods of cropping... You'll have to
mention what you use.

Don't pay any attention to the inches of the image.. Just get the pixels set
in the correct aspect ratio..

You can set your dpi (or more correctly ppi) or image size in inches until the
cows come home, but whoever prints your image will directly override those
settings to match his equipment.

Make sure your file is at least 1800 x 1200. That will net you a minimum of 300
pixels per inch in both directions.

1800 pixels / 6 inches = 300 pixels per inch.

1200 pixels / 4 inches = 300 pixels per inch.

CSM1

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> dwolf wrote:
>
> > Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your digitals

> > the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping. Obviously I

don't
> > want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality sake. I guess I would

need to
> > find that correct proportion crop size... something quick and easy for
> > dealing with many photos. I use photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

> Different image editors have different methods of cropping... You'll have

> mention what you use.
>
> Don't pay any attention to the inches of the image.. Just get the pixels

set
> in the correct aspect ratio..
>
> You can set your dpi (or more correctly ppi) or image size in inches until

the
> cows come home, but whoever prints your image will directly override those
> settings to match his equipment.
>
> Make sure your file is at least 1800 x 1200. That will net you a minimum

of 300
> pixels per inch in both directions.
>
> 1800 pixels / 6 inches = 300 pixels per inch.
>
> 1200 pixels / 4 inches = 300 pixels per inch.

A 4 x 6 print has a ratio of 1:1.5 so you have to crop your digital 1:1.333
ratio image to fit the 1:1.5 ratio.

A 4 x 6 is a perfect fit for a 35mm negative.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Markeau

FWIW I've found images taken with my Canon S400 (set to the highest
resolution) require very minimal cropping along the long edge(s) when
getting 5x7 prints. It's relatively easy to remember to leave a bit
of extra space along the long edge when composing/taking pictures.
But, of course I mostly manually crop first for critical images.

"dwolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your
> digitals to the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping.
> Obviously I don't want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality
> sake. I guess I would need to find that correct proportion crop
> size... something quick and easy for dealing with many photos. I

use
> photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

FOR7b

>> Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your
>> digitals to the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping.
>> Obviously I don't want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality
>> sake. I guess I would need to find that correct proportion crop
>> size... something quick and easy for dealing with many photos. I

>use
>> photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

Doesn't Photoshop and Elements have preset crop ratios of typical print sizes?
Also, many digicams allow you to set them to take pictures in the 4x6 ratio so
cropping afterwards isn't necessary.

dwolf

Yes I found that Photoshop does have preset crop sizing.... that should make
the process quick.. Joel
"FOR7b" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Is there a quick way to crop photos, so that when you take your
> >> digitals to the lab you can get your 4 x 6's without them cropping.
> >> Obviously I don't want to shrink my photo's to 4 x 6 for quality
> >> sake. I guess I would need to find that correct proportion crop
> >> size... something quick and easy for dealing with many photos. I

> >use
> >> photoshop and elements... Thanks Joel

> Doesn't Photoshop and Elements have preset crop ratios of typical print

sizes?
> Also, many digicams allow you to set them to take pictures in the 4x6

ratio so
> cropping afterwards isn't necessary.
>

> (E-Mail Removed)

Markeau

What would be neat is an app that would quickly step thru each photo
in a folder (or a selected set), let you place the crop where you want
it, then switch to the next photo, set crop, etc, etc.

Hans-Georg Michna

"Markeau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What would be neat is an app that would quickly step thru each photo
>in a folder (or a selected set), let you place the crop where you want
>it, then switch to the next photo, set crop, etc, etc.

Markeau,

you could also use a camera with a zoom lens.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Markeau

"Hans-Georg Michna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)
> "Markeau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What would be neat is an app that would quickly step thru each

photo
>> in a folder (or a selected set), let you place the crop where you
>> want it, then switch to the next photo, set crop, etc, etc.

> you could also use a camera with a zoom lens.

Sorry, do not understand. I sometimes want to crop a number of photos
to 4x6 or 5x7 or whatever in one quick operation, so it would be nice
to have them queued up so they could be quickly selected one after
another (ie, after you set the crop on one pic and hit OK the next pic
displays ready for cropping, etc).

Hans-Georg Michna

"Markeau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Hans-Georg Michna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>message news:(E-Mail Removed)

>> "Markeau" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> What would be neat is an app that would quickly step thru each photo
>>> in a folder (or a selected set), let you place the crop where you
>>> want it, then switch to the next photo, set crop, etc, etc.

>> you could also use a camera with a zoom lens.

>Sorry, do not understand. I sometimes want to crop a number of photos
>to 4x6 or 5x7 or whatever in one quick operation, so it would be nice
>to have them queued up so they could be quickly selected one after
>another (ie, after you set the crop on one pic and hit OK the next pic
>displays ready for cropping, etc).

Markeau,

what I mean is that you select the proper frame of a photo while
taking it. The professionals also do this, so why not we
amateurs? Actually, I do it. I don't have to crop any photo,
except in very rare circumstances.

In fact, that's the only way to achieve the full quality your
camera has to offer. And it reduces your overall workload quite
a bit.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.