Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to dry mount ink jet prints

How to dry mount ink jet prints

Birk Binnard

I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
developed waves. Most are 8x10 (some are larger) printed on my Epson 1280.
The frames are metal with glass fronts and cardboard backs.

I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain too
much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them on
foam board with spray-on adhesive work better? That would sure be a lot
cheaper to do.
---------------
Birk Binnard
Peninsula Software
http://www.birkbinnard.com

Joseph Meehan

First ink jet prints only contain excess moisture for a short time.
They dry.

I don't suggest using a standard heat type dry mount press until you
test prints made with your machine and ink. Some inks don't react well with
heat.

If you are going to use a spray glue, get the stuff made for photos.
Better yet, get the peel and stick backing. That way you know the glue is
on a nice even coat.

Be ready to practice a few times. You don't get a second chance, so you
may loose a print or two form time to time.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Birk Binnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
> developed waves. Most are 8x10 (some are larger) printed on my Epson

1280.
> The frames are metal with glass fronts and cardboard backs.
>
> I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain

too
> much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them

on
> foam board with spray-on adhesive work better? That would sure be a lot
> cheaper to do.
> ---------------
> Birk Binnard
> Peninsula Software
> http://www.birkbinnard.com

Trev

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ebsmb.85221$(E-Mail Removed)...
> First ink jet prints only contain excess moisture for a short

time.
> They dry.
>
> I don't suggest using a standard heat type dry mount press until

you
> test prints made with your machine and ink. Some inks don't react

well with
> heat.
>
> If you are going to use a spray glue, get the stuff made for

photos.
> Better yet, get the peel and stick backing. That way you know the

glue is
> on a nice even coat.
>
> Be ready to practice a few times. You don't get a second chance,

so you
> may loose a print or two form time to time.
>
> --
> Joseph E. Meehan
>
> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Personaly I'm not keen on spray Glue. If you can find some "Cow" gum I
would go for it.

Savidge4

>I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
>developed waves. Most are 8x10 (some are larger) printed on my Epson 1280.
>The frames are metal with glass fronts and cardboard backs.
>
>I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain too
>much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them on
>foam board with spray-on adhesive work better? That would sure be a lot
>cheaper to do.
>---------------
>Birk Binnard
>Peninsula Software
>http://www.birkbinnard.com

I went with the spray glue route and have had mixed results at best. I too get
the waves and bumps over time. For framed images I have gone to sandwiching
the images between glass, and ensuring a nice tight fit. That has resolved
many of these problems.

For larger images, i have gotten away from foam board all together and use
contact sement on the back of the image, and use plexiglass for the sturdy
substrate. it is a bit more expensive, but with my own personal use have found
this to work *All* of the time.

hope that helps!

mark_digital©

"Birk Binnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
> developed waves.

I see this quite a bit in stranger's homes. That's how I can tell which
one's, I assume, they printed themselves.
Before printing spray the back of the paper with a light coating of
non-glossy fixative.
Mark_

Tom Thackrey

On 25-Oct-2003, "Birk Binnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
> developed waves. Most are 8x10 (some are larger) printed on my Epson
> 1280.
> The frames are metal with glass fronts and cardboard backs.
>
> I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain
> too
> much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them
> on
> foam board with spray-on adhesive work better? That would sure be a lot
> cheaper to do.

I've drymounted many color inkjet prints (mostly from an Epson 2200). I use
the same procedure that I use for regular chemical color prints (color
mount, 175 degrees).

Spray glue works, too.

I have better results drymounting, my wife says spray glue is easier, but
she's a graphic artist and has been using it for 25 years.

--
Tom Thackrey
www.creative-light.com

Tony Spadaro

The framing place where I have my inkjet prints mounted uses the lower heat
setting - we are not sure that is necessary, but it works. I have prints
that have been mounted for more than 4 years now and they are fine.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Birk Binnard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I've framed quite a few of my photos and have noticed some of them have
> developed waves. Most are 8x10 (some are larger) printed on my Epson

1280.
> The frames are metal with glass fronts and cardboard backs.
>
> I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain

too
> much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them

on
> foam board with spray-on adhesive work better? That would sure be a lot
> cheaper to do.
> ---------------
> Birk Binnard
> Peninsula Software
> http://www.birkbinnard.com

ERich10983

I dry mounted some 11x14 prints from my Canon S9000 a couple of months ago. I
used a couple of brands of dry mount tissue that I've had for over 25 years
that was intended for conventional color prints, therefore low temperature
rated. The results on foam core board were very good. No ripples, no bubbles
and no fuss.
I used a standard Technal Model 500 dry mount press that I've had for years.

If you do a Google search for dry mount tissue, you will find several companies
that sell it. Just pick one of the low temperature rated materials.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

Birk Binnard

Thanks for all the replies. Since we already have some foam board I'm going
to try the double-sided sticky paper and see how that works. I'll report
back with results.
---------------
Birk Binnard
Peninsula Software

Robertwgross

Birk wrote:
>I've read that you can't dry-mount inkjet printouts because they contain too
>much moisture. Plus a drymount machine is expensive. Will mounting them on
>foam board with spray-on adhesive work better? That would sure be a lot
>cheaper to do.

I do this all the time. When the inkjet print comes out of the printer, it
seems a bit damp. So I place it about one foot above a 100-watt incandescent
bulb to dry for about one hour. Then I use spray adhesive on foam board, and
let that dry for just a couple of minutes until it begins to get tacky. If the
adhesive is not spread finely enough, that makes a problem. After the print is
applied to the adhesive, I put it a simple press made out of flat sheets of
wood (with paper surface). About 20 pounds for an hour, and then it's ready.

---Bob Gross---