Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > info on Ebay seller

info on Ebay seller

Dr Rich

Does anyone have any purchase experience with "Sunshine Electronics"
that lists extensively on Ebay???

They have a 96.2 rating, but when checking all complaints, most were for
shipping delays and such. Sunshine's responses appeared truthful, but
who knows....

They have a Canon G5 with a zillion dollars worth of access. for $688
and change. It states it's "new, USA manufacture w/Canon warranty".

Input on these folks, good or bad, is appreciated.
TIA

Fred Ziffel

IMHO, any auction that states a USB card reader is worth $99 raises a red
flag with me. Those tripods and case aren't worth the powder to blow 'em.
$30 shipping? OUCH!

Their latest negative would be enough to turn me off (but what do you expect
from some shady NY outfit- "since 1995!") but that's just me.

Good luck if you go for it, nice camera. Report back on your experience
please.

HRosita

Hi,

NewEgg.com lists the camera for about $550, no tax, free shipping.
I would buy it from them and order accessories separately.
Rosita

George

I consider 96.2 to be a very low rating and would avoid them. Check prices
at:
www.pricegrabber.com
www.pricewatch.com (under "electronics" in upper right corner)
www.pricescan.com

"Dr Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have any purchase experience with "Sunshine Electronics"
> that lists extensively on Ebay???
>
> They have a 96.2 rating, but when checking all complaints, most were for
> shipping delays and such. Sunshine's responses appeared truthful, but
> who knows....
>
> They have a Canon G5 with a zillion dollars worth of access. for $688
> and change. It states it's "new, USA manufacture w/Canon warranty".
>
> Input on these folks, good or bad, is appreciated.
> TIA

Bob Niland

> Dr Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does anyone have any purchase experience
> with "Sunshine Electronics"
> that lists extensively on Ebay???

An auction number or seller ID would make
it easier to check 'em out. This is
"sunshineelec" ?

> They have a 96.2 rating,

Major red flag. Anything less than 99% is
"guilty until proven innocent". A volume
seller with less than 98% needs to be
avoided until you are yourself an experienced
eBay shopper.

> ... but when checking all complaints, most
> were for shipping delays and such.

Which implies that they don't actually have
the auction merchandize on hand. They may
be drop-ship sellers.

From a typical auction: "Photos of some
accessories are representational and may not
reflect actual items shipped. We reserve the
right to substitute some accessory items for
those of equal or greater value, based on
availability." Is any comment required here?

> Sunshine's responses appeared truthful,

Also check their Feedback-to-Others. But
more significantly, consider their feedback
policy: "Once a feedback is left, we will
leave a feedback for you."

This seller holds FB hostage! You can bet
that if seller posted FB first (my policy as
a seller) their percentage would be WAY lower
than the horrible 96% it is now. Most buyers
are afraid to speak freely, since they have
to speak first. AVOID any seller with a
buyer-posts-FB-first policy.

> They have a Canon G5 ...

You are aware that digital cameras, LCD monitors,
plasma TVs, laptops, motorcycles and other hi-end
consumer toy categories are rife with fraud on eBay.

In the immortal words of Monty Python:
"run away!"

See also:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/where-to-buy

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

Dr Rich

Thanks all for the input... I figured it was shady but didn't want to
be paranoid about it.
Personally, I've never purchased anything on Ebay for just that reason,
but thought a "legitimate" business might "advertise" there.

B&H offers the camera for $599.99 (US) +s/h. I've heard their
reputation's OK.
I'll check out Newegg.com as Rosita suggested for the lesser price...
(never heard of them before,,,, thanks though)
Helped a lot....
Rich

George

Many legitimate businesses DO sell on eBay. One such business in the photo
category is Backdrop Outlet -- it is a good way to get a bargain on some
overstocked backdrop. I believe that both Adorama and B&H sell there as
well as do some of the well-known used equipment dealers.

"Dr Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks all for the input... I figured it was shady but didn't want to
> be paranoid about it.
> Personally, I've never purchased anything on Ebay for just that reason,
> but thought a "legitimate" business might "advertise" there.
>
> B&H offers the camera for $599.99 (US) +s/h. I've heard their
> reputation's OK.
> I'll check out Newegg.com as Rosita suggested for the lesser price...
> (never heard of them before,,,, thanks though)
> Helped a lot....
> Rich

Paolo Pizzi

Bob Niland wrote:

> This seller holds FB hostage! You can bet
> that if seller posted FB first (my policy as
> a seller) their percentage would be WAY lower
> than the horrible 96% it is now. Most buyers
> are afraid to speak freely, since they have
> to speak first. AVOID any seller with a
> buyer-posts-FB-first policy.

Unfortunately that policy is becoming far too common
among photo vendors on EBay. I truly hate it (you are
right, if they expect feeback first is because they are
not too confident with their level of customer service...)
but vendors that stick to a more friendly, vendor FB first
policy (like you and me, whenever I sell something) are
becoming rare. Oh yeah, you bet they will inflict you a
negative if you dare to complain about their lousy service...
I believe the whole FB system on EBay should be revised.
Why should a buyer be given a "feedback"? It only exists
on EBay, check the REAL online ratings of those NYC
fly-by-nite "businesses" (where the buyer is NOT afraid
to speak and get a neg) and you'll quickly discover the
awful truth.

Bob Niland

> Dr Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks all for the input... I figured it was
> shady but didn't want to be paranoid about it.

On eBay, start from paranoid.
Then relax as you learn.

I recently sold all of my 35mm gear on eBay.
I'm happy. My buyers are happy. I collected
enough to pay for a decent dSLR to replace
the current 2Mp P&S.

> Personally, I've never purchased anything on
> Ebay for just that reason, ...

eBay is a fine place to buy and sell many
things, but high-demand new hi-tech products
is probably not one of them. Market economics
says that, for a product like a just-released
digicam, there's really no reason for a
high-overhead venue like eBay to be any
cheaper than a volume discount reseller.

> but thought a "legitimate" business
> might "advertise" there.

They do, but usually for remainders, returns,
overstocks and unpopular products.

For "hot" products, they may use eBay, but only
because they think that naive buyers will bid
the prices up ABOVE market (and they do).

> B&H offers the camera for $599.99 (US) +s/h.
> I've heard their reputation's OK.

That's where I've been shopping. That's
likely where I'll buy my next digital camera.

> I'll check out Newegg.com ...

NewEgg is primarily a DIY computer tech seller.
I bought most of the components there for the
PC I'm typing this on. They do have a modest
selection of other hi-tech items, but photo is
not their main focus. If they have what you
want, the price is usually competitive.

My main issue with NewEgg was that they often
only have the "OEM" version of some computer
widgets, and not the "retail". This distinction
doesn't exist with photo stuff, so it's not
likely to arise for you.

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise
(E-Mail Removed) Kansas USA
which, due to spam, is: 67441-0248
email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
http://www.access-one.com/rjn

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

Stan Accrington

There is tremendous opportunity for rip-offs on EBay.
Avoid any volume seller with less than 99% good feedback.
Even if you do get the goods in the end, who wants the hassle of
waiting for weeks?

You can often find prices on the web substantially below EBay prices.

I was ripped off for $400 for a camera on EBay a couple of montsh ago.
I am a savvy and experienced buyer/seller with 4 years on Ebay and
still got taken.
The thief had taken over his wife's account with 99%+ positive on 700
transactions.

He then "sold" $50K worth of cameras, camcorders, GPSs, PDAs etc, all
top end stuff
with 2 weeks delivery, and made off with about $50K. EBay was no
help.
Paypal was no help. Square trade was less than no help. (An enquiry
to Square trade
about whether this vendor was entitled to use their logo, got an
answer 5 days later
rather than the same day).

When it all started to come out, EBay clamps a lid on everything,
yanks the id of the thief
and prevents the people who were ripped off from finding each other
and grouping together.
I tracked the thief down. It was a Romanian man called Stanislaus
Cociu.
His wife is Corina Trif-Cociu. They both lived in Edison, NJ at the
time of their fraud.
They operated a company called Galaxy Art Glass. Maybe they still
do.

The Edison police heard about the $400 I lost, but EBay makes sure I
don't have any
way to contact the other victims and encourage them to file criminal
complaints too.
So it's a $400 case, not a $50K case.

Ebay is rife with fraud, and the EBay policies work to prevent people
findng out
about it, rather than to prevent people committing it. I got $175
back by
jumping through hoops with the lousy EBay insurance.