Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon BP-511 batteries in major outlets?

Canon BP-511 batteries in major outlets?

This Old Man

Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else, for the
10D or the 300D Rebel?

Robertwgross

This Old Man wrote:
>Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else, for the
>10D or the 300D Rebel?

The battery is the Canon BP-511. The Fry's Electronics store nearest to me
stocks the Lenmar replacement for the price of $50. I found the Lenmar battery
to have slightly more capacity than the original Canon. However, now that my
original and my replacement are each one year old, they are beginning to show
signs of age, so I ordered another replacement from GreenBatteries for about
$35.

---Bob Gross---

James Hart

This Old Man wrote:
> Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else,
> for the 10D or the 300D Rebel?

I bought mine from 7dayshop in Jersey for 15 each. Dirt cheap if you ask me
and the same rated capacity as the one that came with the camera.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Pedro

Like wise, dayhop, fab battery, made by Fameart in Germany.
When my G5 shows that the battery is discharged I further discharge it on
occasions with home made bulb discharger, and I believe that lithium ion
batteries do have a bit of a memory hence I discharge. Don't shoot me down
saying that they don't have a memory, because I believe they do. I had a
defective Panasonic Lithium ion battery which I discharged till it was
empty, stuck it into a freezer, recharged it and discharged it 3 times and
its still working. The moral of the story do not leave your battery in you
camera if you are not going to use it for a long time.
Pedro
"James Hart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnc30j$vaogo$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> This Old Man wrote:
> > Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else,
> > for the 10D or the 300D Rebel?

> I bought mine from 7dayshop in Jersey for 15 each. Dirt cheap if you ask

me
> and the same rated capacity as the one that came with the camera.
>
> --
> James...
> http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Tom

"This Old Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lAfmb.35102$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else, for

the
> 10D or the 300D Rebel?

I got my two sets of spares, four batteries total, on eBay.

Paid $9.50 per brand new battery and they are higher capacity than original
Canon batteries. Work fine and absolutly no problems through, oh, 15
weddings now with the new sets.

By the way, I have no affiliation with the eBay sellers, just a happy
purchaser.

Tom

Ethan Trewhitt

According to Pedro <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Like wise, dayhop, fab battery, made by Fameart in Germany.
> When my G5 shows that the battery is discharged I further discharge
> it on occasions with home made bulb discharger, and I believe that
> lithium ion batteries do have a bit of a memory hence I discharge.
> Don't shoot me down saying that they don't have a memory, because I
> believe they do. I had a defective Panasonic Lithium ion battery
> which I discharged till it was empty, stuck it into a freezer,
> recharged it and discharged it 3 times and its still working. The
> moral of the story do not leave your battery in you camera if you are
> not going to use it for a long time. Pedro

I thought the life of LiIon batteries was _hurt_ by full discharges, the
opposite of NiCd ... can anyone say for _sure_? I've noticed that my laptop
drains its first battery down to about 15% before switching to the other
battery, leading me to believe it's not good to drain them completely (it's
LiIon).

--
eth'nT
http://www.hydrous.net

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> This Old Man wrote:
> >Have you seen these batteries at Best Buy, Fry's, or anywhere else, for the
> >10D or the 300D Rebel?

> The battery is the Canon BP-511. The Fry's Electronics store nearest to me
> stocks the Lenmar replacement for the price of $50. I found the Lenmar battery
> to have slightly more capacity than the original Canon. However, now that my
> original and my replacement are each one year old, they are beginning to show
> signs of age, so I ordered another replacement from GreenBatteries for about
> $35.
>
> ---Bob Gross---

I got one at Wal-Mart for $25. Works great. I think it's a Digipower
brand.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Robertwgross

Todd wrote:
>I got one at Wal-Mart for $25. Works great. I think it's a Digipower
>brand.

We should each mark the spot on the ground where we are standing now and vow to
return in exactly twelve months to compare how the different brands really hold
up.

---Bob Gross---

Pedro

you admit your battery is deteriating so when it gets bad have go what have
you got to loss, dont forget the freezer bit, and it has to thaw out atleast
a day.
Pedro
"Ethan Trewhitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bnc69t$f48$(E-Mail Removed)...
> According to Pedro <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> > Like wise, dayhop, fab battery, made by Fameart in Germany.
> > When my G5 shows that the battery is discharged I further discharge
> > it on occasions with home made bulb discharger, and I believe that
> > lithium ion batteries do have a bit of a memory hence I discharge.
> > Don't shoot me down saying that they don't have a memory, because I
> > believe they do. I had a defective Panasonic Lithium ion battery
> > which I discharged till it was empty, stuck it into a freezer,
> > recharged it and discharged it 3 times and its still working. The
> > moral of the story do not leave your battery in you camera if you are
> > not going to use it for a long time. Pedro

> I thought the life of LiIon batteries was _hurt_ by full discharges, the
> opposite of NiCd ... can anyone say for _sure_? I've noticed that my

laptop
> drains its first battery down to about 15% before switching to the other
> battery, leading me to believe it's not good to drain them completely

(it's
> LiIon).
>
> --
> eth'nT
> http://www.hydrous.net
> aim: courtarro

Dave Martindale

"Ethan Trewhitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I thought the life of LiIon batteries was _hurt_ by full discharges, the
>opposite of NiCd ... can anyone say for _sure_? I've noticed that my laptop
>drains its first battery down to about 15% before switching to the other
>battery, leading me to believe it's not good to drain them completely (it's
>LiIon).

One problem with LiIon cells is that they are *permanently* damaged by
discharge below a certain voltage. If that voltage is defined as the 0%
charge point, and your laptop discharges it down to that point, you need
to recharge the battery right away to avoid damage. While if the laptop
stops somewhat before that point, you now have some time to recharge
before damage occurs.

Keep in mind that a battery discharges just sitting there, both due to
internal chemical processes and because the monitoring electronics
consumes a bit of power. So if you let the battery sit for a week
before recharging it, the state of charge will be lower than when you
stopped using it. The recommended charge level for long-term storage is
40%, which allows for a long storage period before reaching 0%.

As for your original question, my understanding is that it's best to
recharge LiIon whenever convenient, without waiting for full discharge.

Dave