Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ISO recommendation

ISO recommendation

Mark

Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when going
from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D? Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm
film?

Mark

Jim Townsend

Mark wrote:

> Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when going
> from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D? Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm
> film?

It all depends on the camera.

DSLR's have larger sensors and are less prone to noise.

For example..ISO 400..

Consumer digicams with the 1/1.8 sensors are generally worse than their film
counterparts at ISO 400.. DSLR's with APS sized sensors are generally
better..

Ron Recer

>From: "Mark" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 10/23/2003 4:30 PM Central Daylight Time

>Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when going
>from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D? Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm
>film?

I have not noticed noise when printing full page with border (not quite 8x10)
of photos taken at ISO 400. I have talked to people who say they have printed
larger size prints with no noticeable noise.

With my G1 it is very noticeable, but not so with the 10D. I have printed some
photos taken at ISO 1600 that don't show noticeable noise.

Ron
Edmond, OK

Randall Ainsworth

> Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when going
> from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D? Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm
> film?

I keep mine on 100 and only change it if I have to for the situation.
The other day I had to bump it up to 400 and it came out pretty sweet.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Mark" (E-Mail Removed)

>Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when
>going from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D?

Just shoot something smooth toned at 100, 400 and 1600 asa, like a Macbeth
Color Checker chart or even the sky, and look at it at 100%. It's very easy to
check for yourself with digital.

>Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm film?

No, better.

Malcolm Stewart

news:6MXlb.16173$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when going
> from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D? Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm
> film?
> Mark

There's very little noise at an ISO of 400 on the 10D. Check out item 5 on my
website for some un-processed ISO 1600 moonlight shots.

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

JPS@no.komm

In message <6MXlb.16173$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when going
>from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D? Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm
>film?

Unless you grossly under-expose the shot and have to compensate in
software, ISO 400 on the 10D has only a tiny trace of noise, which you
will only see inspecting the image pixel-for-pixel at 100% zoom on the
monitor. You will not see it at normal print sizes.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

JPS@no.komm

In message <231020031531273768%(E-Mail Removed)>,
Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when going
>> from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D? Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm
>> film?

>I keep mine on 100 and only change it if I have to for the situation.
>The other day I had to bump it up to 400 and it came out pretty sweet.

I used ISO 100 as default on my Sony F707. On the Canon 10D, I use ISO
400 as default. I use ISO 100 only for special situations.

I will turn it up to 800 without hesitation to shoot in low light and
get reasonable depth of field and shutter speed.

1600 with a little hesitation.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Mark Herring

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:30:42 GMT, "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when going
>from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D? Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm
>film?
>
>Mark

The variation of digital noise with ISO---compared to grain size with
ISO for film--should be a fairly good analogy---but only to a point.
The mechanisms are totally different.

With film, what changes with ISO is grain SIZE. With digital, what is
changing is noise AMPLITUDE. This subtlety aside, I would expect the
effect in typical scenes to be similar---ie the higher the ISO
setting, the more noise (grain) one sees.

The scientist now says---Lets do some experiments. The photographer
simply experiments and finds what works.

Another nuance: In many films, higher ISO means higher dynamic range.
Not sure how this works with digital. For one thing, film in
non-linear and digital is generally linear.

-Mark
digital photos, more and better computers,
and never enough time to do the projects.
Private e-mail: Just say no to No

Lionel

Word has it that on Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:30:42 GMT, in this august forum,
"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>Can anyone give me some data on just how much noise is introduced when going
>from say ISO 100 to 400 using a 10D?

Not much. With good exposures, you have to look very close to tell the
difference. The noise starts getting noticable from ISO 800, & starts
getting annoying (IMO) at 1600 & 3200.

> Is it roughly the same as grain in 35mm
>film?

Not even close. It's been a few years since I last shot 800 ASA colour
neg film, admittedly, but even ISO 3200 on the 10D looks better than the
800 ASA film I've used. Unless you're shooting really, really demanding
detail, I suspect you'll be very happy with how little noise there is on
10D shots at ISO 400.