Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What happened to E-1 and *isd?

What happened to E-1 and *isd?

Fred McKenzie

A few weeks back there were glowing reviews posted on early copies of the
Olympus and Pentax DSLRs. By now they should be in the stores, but I don't see
any recent threads in rec.photo.digital about them. All I see is Canon this
and Rebel that! Are they actually vaporware, or are people just not buying
them?

Fred

Tony Spadaro

Neither is actually on the market yet.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Fred McKenzie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A few weeks back there were glowing reviews posted on early copies of the
> Olympus and Pentax DSLRs. By now they should be in the stores, but I

don't see
> any recent threads in rec.photo.digital about them. All I see is Canon

this
> and Rebel that! Are they actually vaporware, or are people just not

buying
> them?
>
> Fred

Todd Walker

In article <JgUlb.4491$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Neither is actually on the market yet.

The Pentax *istD is.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

Charlie Dilks

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <JgUlb.4491$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Neither is actually on the market yet.
> >

> The Pentax *istD is.

So is the E-1
Several people here have them.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1022

--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Bob Niland

>> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Neither is actually on the market yet.

> The Pentax *istD is.

Steve's has a production *istD, and has
been updating their preview review to a
final all week.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/istd.html

My guess is that the *istD, in addition to
having a revolting name that will inhibit
market penetration, is priced way too high
vs. the EOS-300D and DSC-F828, and will
consequently sell in only modest numbers,
primarily to people with large investments
in K-mount AF lenses.

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

Darrell

"Bob Niland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> (E-Mail Removed) says...

> > Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Neither is actually on the market yet.

> > The Pentax *istD is.

> Steve's has a production *istD, and has
> been updating their preview review to a
> final all week.
>
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/istd.html
>
> My guess is that the *istD, in addition to
> having a revolting name that will inhibit
> market penetration, is priced way too high
> vs. the EOS-300D and DSC-F828, and will
> consequently sell in only modest numbers,
> primarily to people with large investments
> in K-mount AF lenses.

The *ist D was designed to be priced the same as a Nikon D100 or Canon 10D,
The 300D (Digital Rebel) is a smaller and lighter (which many will claim is
less robust). I think Sony's product and pricing is the result of heavy Sake
drinking within Sony's marketing staff. The Pentax prices has come down in
Canada a touch, and is priced a bit lower than the 10D and D100.

Todd Walker

In article <58Zlb.259867$ko%.195048
@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> The *ist D was designed to be priced the same as a Nikon D100 or Canon 10D,
> The 300D (Digital Rebel) is a smaller and lighter (which many will claim is
> less robust).

The 300D is larger and heavier than the istD. Or were you saying it's
smaller and lighter than the D100 and 10D?

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://www.toddwalker.net/canon10d
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://www.toddwalker.net/dpblog.htm
_________________________________

Ryan

"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<JgUlb.4491$(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> Neither is actually on the market yet.

The *ist D has been out for a month now; I have one. It's a very good
camera. My only problem has been a hot pixel that Pentax is going to
look at for me under the warranty. Other than that, it's brilliant.

Darrell

"Todd Walker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <58Zlb.259867$ko%.195048
> @news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > The *ist D was designed to be priced the same as a Nikon D100 or Canon

10D,
> > The 300D (Digital Rebel) is a smaller and lighter (which many will claim

is
> > less robust).
> >

> The 300D is larger and heavier than the istD. Or were you saying it's
> smaller and lighter than the D100 and 10D?

That's what I was trying to say. Some relate weight to ruggedness! The
Pentax offers more features than the Digital Rebel, but Nikon and Pentax may
have to counter with a cheaper version, like a Digital N55 from Nikon for
example.