Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Rebel and OLD Canon lenses?

Digital Rebel and OLD Canon lenses?

Bill

Can the canon DR use any older lenses? I am talking about some that are
manual, i.e. you have to stop them down yourself for DOF preview and to take
the shot. Some are not so old....they are at least automatic for that
function. But not AF or anything like that. They are good lenses, typical
bayonet mount, and include an 18 mm., 35 mm, 55-270 zoom, even a bellows for
macros.
I supppose all these might work with the camera in manual mode?
Bill

Darrell

> Can the canon DR use any older lenses? I am talking about some that are
> manual, i.e. you have to stop them down yourself for DOF preview and to

take
> the shot. Some are not so old....they are at least automatic for that
> function. But not AF or anything like that. They are good lenses, typical
> bayonet mount, and include an 18 mm., 35 mm, 55-270 zoom, even a bellows

for
> macros.
> I supppose all these might work with the camera in manual mode?
> Bill

Manual focus Canon lenses have a different FD mount that won't mount on
EF-Canon bodies. When Minolta and Canon went auto-focus they orphaned all
their manual focus clients.

Chris Brown

In article <aBSlb.90624$sp2.87894@lakeread04>,
Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Can the canon DR use any older lenses? I am talking about some that are
>manual, i.e. you have to stop them down yourself for DOF preview and to take
>the shot. Some are not so old....they are at least automatic for that
>function. But not AF or anything like that. They are good lenses, typical
>bayonet mount, and include an 18 mm., 35 mm, 55-270 zoom, even a bellows for
>macros.
>I supppose all these might work with the camera in manual mode?

If they are for Canon's old manual focus cameras they won't fit. The 300D
uses the EF-mount.

jean

I bought a "T" mount adapter to EOS and I managed to put my old manual
lenses (mainly Soligor and Vivitar) on my daughter's 10D, the focus is VERY
hard to do and the camera must be operated in Av mode. I took some pics to
test the setup and the results were very good. It is not often you need an
800mm lens (500mm x 1.6) so I can live with the hassles of difficult focus
and limited automation of the lens.

Jean

"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> Can the canon DR use any older lenses? I am talking about some that are
> manual, i.e. you have to stop them down yourself for DOF preview and to

take
> the shot. Some are not so old....they are at least automatic for that
> function. But not AF or anything like that. They are good lenses, typical
> bayonet mount, and include an 18 mm., 35 mm, 55-270 zoom, even a bellows

for
> macros.
> I supppose all these might work with the camera in manual mode?
> Bill

John Passaneau

This is interesting to me, as I'm thinking of buying a 10D and one of the
things I would like to do with it is to shoot extreme macro photos with it.
By that I mean up to 10x. I have been doing this for years with a Cannon F1
and bellows and special bellows mount macro lens. Beyond the problem of
adapting the bellows to the "new" Cannon 10D mount if I have problems with
focusing it could be a deal killer for me. It's hard to focus anyway at
these magnifications. So what is hard about doing a manual focus with the
10D?

--
John Passaneau
Penn State University

"jean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HzUlb.17062$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bought a "T" mount adapter to EOS and I managed to put my old manual
> lenses (mainly Soligor and Vivitar) on my daughter's 10D, the focus is

VERY
> hard to do and the camera must be operated in Av mode. I took some pics

> test the setup and the results were very good. It is not often you need

an
> 800mm lens (500mm x 1.6) so I can live with the hassles of difficult focus
> and limited automation of the lens.
>
> Jean
>
> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> > Can the canon DR use any older lenses? I am talking about some that are
> > manual, i.e. you have to stop them down yourself for DOF preview and to

> take
> > the shot. Some are not so old....they are at least automatic for that
> > function. But not AF or anything like that. They are good lenses,

typical
> > bayonet mount, and include an 18 mm., 35 mm, 55-270 zoom, even a bellows

> for
> > macros.
> > I supppose all these might work with the camera in manual mode?
> > Bill

Warren Jones

I'll answer on the 10D from experience and remain fairly certain that the
rebel behaves identically.
In manual type modes you can use any lens on these cameras that can provide
the EF mount. I use converters
such as Nikon to EF to use my 105mm micro, ef 't'mount for
microscope/telescope an ES to EF to use a Pentax
Bellows/Slide copier that was on hand. (Try doing this on a D100) Tamron
(scarce) adaptall 2 works also.
Cheers,

"Chris Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <aBSlb.90624$sp2.87894@lakeread04>,
> Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Can the canon DR use any older lenses? I am talking about some that are
> >manual, i.e. you have to stop them down yourself for DOF preview and to

take
> >the shot. Some are not so old....they are at least automatic for that
> >function. But not AF or anything like that. They are good lenses, typical
> >bayonet mount, and include an 18 mm., 35 mm, 55-270 zoom, even a bellows

for
> >macros.
> >I supppose all these might work with the camera in manual mode?

> If they are for Canon's old manual focus cameras they won't fit. The 300D
> uses the EF-mount.

jean

As always, RTFM (I didn't). I used only the glass and my eyes to figure out
the focus. In the manual, it says to half press the shutter button and turn
the focus ring on the lens while watching the selected focus point which
will turn red, the camera will also beep. This works with AF lenses set to
manual focus. With fully manual lenses, it's eyes only. The good thing is
you can review the picture and magnify the image to check the focus after
the shot has been taken.

Jean

news:bn9be9$1jbc$(E-Mail Removed)...