Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Searching for a high resolution sub $700 dedicated film scanner for 35mm and slides

Searching for a high resolution sub $700 dedicated film scanner for 35mm and slides

Chris

I have about 650 individual negatives and perhapse a couple hundred
slides to scan for my familys archives. I would be very interested in
your input from an amateurs perspective. Since I do not publish a
magazine or develop super graphics web pages I feel that I can narrow
in on a good high end consumer scanner.

What I am using to determine what I should get:
The largest size I would ever print would be 8x10.
My computer is an Athalon XP1700 w/ 80GB HDD, 512DDRAM and USB 2.0
(since I built my machine I can easily customize)
I may try to help out other relatives w/ their negs so I would be
interested in having a good flourescent lamp or perhaps LED like
Nikons.
I prefer to have good quality software like ICE or Silverfast or
whatever it is called (Obviously I havent used it!)
Batch or efficient processing would be great if possible.
I consider myself above average in technical ability, however, I will
admit that I am not great when it comes to adjusting gamma and hues.
There is also a persistant annoyance I have to spending hours
doctoring one photo. If there is some software that does a decent job
handling that aspect of things it would great.

My finalists that I have selected:
Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III $250-$300
Canon CanoScan FS4000US $600-$900
Nikon CoolScan IV $600 or so

If you have used or experimented with these or others please let me
know what you think is a good high-end consumer model. Thanks!

HRosita

>(E-Mail Removed) (Chris) wrote:

>My finalists that I have selected:
>Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III $250-$300
>Canon CanoScan FS4000US $600-$900
>Nikon CoolScan IV $600 or so

I have had a Minolta Scan Speed (the first one offered by Minolta) and was very
happy with it. I upgraded to a Nikon CoolScan IV because of the ICE capability
but was very disappointed. I have sold it and bought the Minolta 5400 and find
it excellent.
Very little post scan manipulation. ICE works flawlessly.
If you want a less expensive one, go for the Minolta Dimage Elite II. It costs
under $700, has ICE and both USB and Firewire connectivity.
Rosita

Ed E.

Get a dedicated film scanner with ICE, USB connection, and at least 2800dpi.
Those are the raw basics for a good 8x10 print.

Contrary to HRosita, I've had great success using the CoolScan LS-40 and
VueScan.