Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > WYSIWYG HTML SWT

WYSIWYG HTML SWT

sebek

standalone application that the user downloads

Oliver Wong

"sebek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> standalone application that the user downloads

When you say "I have to insert simple formatting text (for example:
bold, underline, italics).", do you mean you have to insert this formatting
stuff into the database, or do you mean you want parts of the GUI of your
application to appear in bold, italics, etc.?

- Oliver

Chris Smith

sebek <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> i want to write application to insert data into database. I can write
> in PHP (it`s simple) but I want to learn something new. I have to
> insert simple formatting text (for example: bold, underline, italics).
> If I use HTML document I can use PHP, but I wont use PHP but Java
> application (standalone application). Is Xored, but it`s non free.

In Swing, you've got JEditorPane. It's free, but it implements HTML 3.2
+ half-done implementations of a few 4.0 features and CSS. If all you
want is bold and underline and italics and you don't need to read
existing documents, that's probably fine.

I don't know of any equivalent for SWT... but that doesn't mean it
doesn't exist.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

sebek

Oliver Wong wrote:

> When you say "I have to insert simple formatting text (for example:

bold, underline, italics).", do you mean you have to insert this
formatting
stuff into the database, or do you mean you want parts of the GUI of
your
application to appear in bold, italics, etc.?

so, both options... also, when i click bold button i want see in editor
bold text, but when I click save button in database should be something
like this: <b>some text</b>

Oliver Wong

"sebek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Oliver Wong wrote:
>
>> When you say "I have to insert simple formatting text (for example:

> bold, underline, italics).", do you mean you have to insert this
> formatting
> stuff into the database, or do you mean you want parts of the GUI of
> your
> application to appear in bold, italics, etc.?
>
> so, both options... also, when i click bold button i want see in editor
> bold text, but when I click save button in database should be something
> like this: <b>some text</b>

Okay, so you want to write a WYSIWYG HTML Editor in Java using SWT? And
instead of saving the HTML files to disk, you're going to save them to a
database?

I advise you start by first writing a plain text-editor that can save to
the DB, and then enhancing that plain text editor to become WYSIWYG.

- Oliver