Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon G5 vs. Nikon 5700

Canon G5 vs. Nikon 5700

Tavish Muldoon

Hello,

I am considering getting a digital camera for a small business.

I have narrowed the choices down to the Canon G5 and Nikon Coolpix
5700

The Nikon ($1239) has a 2 year warranty and 8x optical zoom. The UI
is not that intuitive. Nikon now offers a 2 year warranty.

The Canon G5 ($1099 CDN) is the other choice. 1 year warranty - but
more intuitive to use.

I have heard Nikon quality in terms of moving parts is not as good as
the Canon.

Any comments or suggestions to help me decide?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:32:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Zol."
<Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:

>I checked out a review of the Nikon 5700 which surprisingly mentioned about jpeg artifacts for over sharpened images and highly rated the sharp images from the Canon G5 - the review was from Digital Camera Magazine (http://www.dcmag.co.uk/news/article/mps/UAN/183/v/3/sp/) for their review - they don`t seam to have the G5 review up at the moment but it was in the last issue of their magazine, regards, Zol.

No offense, but instead of just checking it out, you might consider reading
it. The point of jpeg artifacts may have nothing to do with native images
from the camera itself.

"A double dose of the Sharpen filter restores the 5700ís honour, but only
at the expense of edge artefacts youíre unlikely to tolerate."

So by Sharpen filter, what exactly do they mean? Personally, I have
sharpening turned off in my 5700, as I did in later years with my 990, and
add USM as the final step in post processing.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

JohnH

On 21 Oct 2003 10:06:26 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tavish Muldoon) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am considering getting a digital camera for a small business.
>
>I have narrowed the choices down to the Canon G5 and Nikon Coolpix
>5700
>
>The Nikon ($1239) has a 2 year warranty and 8x optical zoom. The UI
>is not that intuitive. Nikon now offers a 2 year warranty.
>
>The Canon G5 ($1099 CDN) is the other choice. 1 year warranty - but
>more intuitive to use.
>
>I have heard Nikon quality in terms of moving parts is not as good as
>the Canon.
>
>Any comments or suggestions to help me decide?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tmuld.

Check around for better prices on the 5700. I got mine at Penn Camera for $999,
and got a $100 rebate on top of that. I had gone into the store planning on the
G5, but couldn't resist the sale price. I love the 5700, especially the zoom.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:34:15 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Zol."
<Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:

>I did check out the reviews of both cameras and there were things in both cameras favour and against, There are always ways round things and usually reviewers don`t adjust much for the test shots but leave the setup on defaults which can show up a problem that isn`t neccesaryily there. For that reason it is always best to go with a few reviews and try out the cameras to find which is right for you. At the end of the day, you can take away the `badges` and choose by overall performance, looks and ease of use and it`s all down to the person who`s going to buy/use it.

Please set you news reader to proper wrap your replies. Everyone will
appreciate it.

If you did read the article then why did you attribute the jpeg artifacting
on overly sharpened images to be the fault of the 5700? My intepretation
is that the reviewer took the default sharpened image from the camera and
then incorrectly applied another sharpen filter in post processing the
image. How can that be the fault of the camera?
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Steven M. Scharf

"Tavish Muldoon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>Hello,
>
>I am considering getting a digital camera for a small business.
>
>I have narrowed the choices down to the Canon G5 and Nikon Coolpix
>5700

Tough choice. Both are on the Digital Camera Short List,
(http://nordicgroup.us/digicam) so you won't go wrong with
either of them. Personally I think I'd go with the Coolpix
5700 given that choice, as long as you don't care about video
clips or audio.

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 04:53:55 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Steven M. Scharf"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>either of them. Personally I think I'd go with the Coolpix
>5700 given that choice, as long as you don't care about video
>clips or audio.

Could you please expound on this?