Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > anti-counterfeit printers?

Reply
Thread Tools

anti-counterfeit printers?

 
 
Mxsmanic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
SimonG Ltd. writes:

> This technology has been present in colour photocopiers
> for quite a few years . . . . .


Really? I've never seen a copier reject something because there's a
copyright sign on the page. Where can I find a description of this
apocryphal technology?

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mxsmanic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
Rafe B. writes:

> As a matter of fact, several MFPs (multi-function
> peripherals -- digital copiers) made in Japan by Canon
> and Sharp use anti-counterfeiting technology.


How does it work?

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mxsmanic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
Bill Crocker writes:

> I know some of the high-end color laser equipment embeds a micro-code of the
> printer's serial number, in the image...so it can be traced back to a
> particular printer. This was started several years ago.


Which equipment?

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rafe B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:21:13 +0200, Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rafe B. writes:
>
>> As a matter of fact, several MFPs (multi-function
>> peripherals -- digital copiers) made in Japan by Canon
>> and Sharp use anti-counterfeiting technology.

>
>How does it work?



Damned if I know, but it's for real.

It doesn't mater to me if you believe it or not.
I know it to be a fact.


rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
SAA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:57:01 GMT, Rafe B. <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:21:13 +0200, Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Rafe B. writes:
>>
>>> As a matter of fact, several MFPs (multi-function
>>> peripherals -- digital copiers) made in Japan by Canon
>>> and Sharp use anti-counterfeiting technology.

>>
>>How does it work?

>
>
>Damned if I know, but it's for real.
>
>It doesn't mater to me if you believe it or not.
>I know it to be a fact.


Exactly how do you know this to be a fact? What evidence do you have
to back this up? I would like to read more about this.


>
>
>rafe b.
>http://www.terrapinphoto.com


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rafe B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-22-2003
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:52:18 +0100, "John Abbot"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
>currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
>counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
>worldwide?



Like I say: I dunno about printers. For copiers, there
are many that contain anti-counterfeiting technology.
Most seem to be from Japanese brands, and high-
end office machines. See for example:

<http://media.xerox.ca/news/default.asp?aID=303>

<http://www.digital-resources.net/toshiba6.htm>

Toshiba FC-22, w/anti-counterfeit tech.

<http://www.itn.is/vorur/prentarar/canon/canoninf.htm>

(Canon CLC-550 copier, introduced 1992, with
anti-counterfeit technology.)

<http://faxsupersale.com/xerox_faxcentre_pro_f12_fax_machines.html>

Xerox F12 FAX/Copier w/anti-counterfeit tech.

<http://www.futureofficeproducts.com/copier08.htm>

Toshiba FC-15, w/anti-counterfeit tech.



rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mxsmanic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2003
Rafe B. writes:

> It doesn't mater to me if you believe it or not.
> I know it to be a fact.


Well, perhaps you can point me to a page that explains more about it, as
I've never heard of this.

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mxsmanic
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2003
Rafe B. writes:

> Like I say: I dunno about printers. For copiers, there
> are many that contain anti-counterfeiting technology.
> Most seem to be from Japanese brands, and high-
> end office machines. See for example:
>
> <http://media.xerox.ca/news/default.asp?aID=303>
>
> <http://www.digital-resources.net/toshiba6.htm>
>
> Toshiba FC-22, w/anti-counterfeit tech.
>
> <http://www.itn.is/vorur/prentarar/canon/canoninf.htm>
>
> (Canon CLC-550 copier, introduced 1992, with
> anti-counterfeit technology.)
>
> <http://faxsupersale.com/xerox_faxcentre_pro_f12_fax_machines.html>
>
> Xerox F12 FAX/Copier w/anti-counterfeit tech.
>
> <http://www.futureofficeproducts.com/copier08.htm>
>
> Toshiba FC-15, w/anti-counterfeit tech.


I see lots of marketing hype, but no explanation of the technology used.

--
Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach me directly.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rafe B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2003
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:44:51 +0200, Mxsmanic <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Rafe B. writes:
>
>> Like I say: I dunno about printers. For copiers, there
>> are many that contain anti-counterfeiting technology.
>> Most seem to be from Japanese brands, and high-
>> end office machines. See for example:
>>
>> <http://media.xerox.ca/news/default.asp?aID=303>
>>
>> <http://www.digital-resources.net/toshiba6.htm>
>>
>> Toshiba FC-22, w/anti-counterfeit tech.
>>
>> <http://www.itn.is/vorur/prentarar/canon/canoninf.htm>
>>
>> (Canon CLC-550 copier, introduced 1992, with
>> anti-counterfeit technology.)
>>
>> <http://faxsupersale.com/xerox_faxcentre_pro_f12_fax_machines.html>
>>
>> Xerox F12 FAX/Copier w/anti-counterfeit tech.
>>
>> <http://www.futureofficeproducts.com/copier08.htm>
>>
>> Toshiba FC-15, w/anti-counterfeit tech.

>
>I see lots of marketing hype, but no explanation of the technology used.



Irrelevant. I don't know how it works. I have not
claimed to know how it works. I don't care.

I doubt if Sharp, Xerox, Toshiba, or Canon are
going to tell you how it works, either.

The fact is it clearly exists, even though you continue
to insist that it does not.

Why don't you buy one of these, or find one, and try
to copy a 10000 yen note on it, and report back to us.

Until then, why not just admit that you're wrong?



rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lionel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-23-2003
Word has it that on Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:27:47 GMT, in this august forum,
Rafe B. <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:52:18 +0100, "John Abbot"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
>>currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
>>counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
>>worldwide?

>
>
>As a matter of fact, several MFPs (multi-function
>peripherals -- digital copiers) made in Japan by Canon
>and Sharp use anti-counterfeiting technology.


Supposedly.

I was working for Canon at the time that they released the CLC-500
colour laser copier, & various people claimed that it included either a
banknote detector, & that it would (the story varied from person to
person) either log any such copies, or refuse to copy banknotes. Either
of which would've been near impossible with the technology of the day,
IMO. Admittedly, I never tried copying money with it, myself. (Getting
caught would've lost me my job, at the very least.)

--
W
. | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
\|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments