Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > anti-counterfeit printers?

anti-counterfeit printers?

John Abbot

Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
worldwide?

stan@temple.edu

John Abbot <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
> currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
> counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
> worldwide?

Where did you hear that?

Doc

"John Abbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
> currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
> counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
> worldwide?

Definitely one of the better urban myths I've heard recently!

Doc

Michalkun

"John Abbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
> currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
> counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
> worldwide?

I don't think so. It would be a waste of money.
I heard though that good copy machines can prevent copying things with
copyright signs, etc.

Bob Niland

>> "John Abbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Doc" doc..net <@> wrote:

>> Is it true that some bubblejet and laser
>> printers will no longer print currency notes

Not clear if any of these have hit the
market yet.

> Definitely one of the better urban
> myths I've heard recently!

Not a myth. Here's a recent link:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2003/july...unterfeit.html

Whether this will make it to market
and/or be effective, I couldn't say.

If it does, don't be surprised if there
are some visible and unwanted artifacts
in perfectly legitimate images.

Do you suppose webzine and magazine printer
tests will soon include banknote images in
their datasets?

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

SimonG Ltd.

"Michalkun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns941B90E7FA890michalkunyahoocom@130.133.1.4 ...
> "John Abbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
> > currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
> > counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is

it
> > worldwide?

> I don't think so. It would be a waste of money.
> I heard though that good copy machines can prevent copying things with
> copyright signs, etc.

This technology has been present in colour photocopiers for quite a few
years . . . . .

regards, SimonG
---------------------

Visit www.F1Album.com . . .let me know what you think . .

Joseph Meehan

Like all urban legend, this one disproves itself. Just look at the
output and try to imagine someone thinking, even drunk in a dark bar, would
confuse it for the real thing.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"John Abbot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
> currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
> counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
> worldwide?

Charlie Self

Joseph Meehan states:

>Like all urban legend, this one disproves itself. Just look at the
>output and try to imagine someone thinking, even drunk in a dark bar, would
>confuse it for the real thing.

You never really know. Many years ago, when I was in college, working nights in
a corner grocery, the guy on with me took a 20 that was so off-color it was
almost blue. I was back filling the beer cooler and called the cops
immediately. It was queer, and a real PITA, with Treasury guys around for days,
and local copys yanking me out of bed for a description of the car the clowns
used.

Recently (last week), I saw that someone had been reproducing dollar bills and
running them through soft drink machines. Doing the bills in B&W, at that.

Charlie Self

"Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle."
Bob Hope

Rafe B.

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:52:18 +0100, "John Abbot"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
>currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
>counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
>worldwide?

As a matter of fact, several MFPs (multi-function
peripherals -- digital copiers) made in Japan by Canon
and Sharp use anti-counterfeiting technology.

I don't know if this is in any printers per se.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Ron Hunter

John Abbot wrote:

> Is it true that some bubblejet and laser printers will no longer print
> currency notes (ie printers now contain software that recognises when a
> counterfeit banknote is being printed)? Is this just in the US, or is it
> worldwide?

I doubt that VERY much. It would be quite difficult to include such
software.