Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ORACLE or SQL SERVER (MS) ?

ORACLE or SQL SERVER (MS) ?

English Teacher

Which would be a more useful relational database server to learn
nowadays: MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE?

Thanks!

John Bell

Hi

The choice of which database system to learn will to some extent be
determined on why you wish to learn it. In general there is a lot of
relational theory that is universal and writing good SQL and doing correct
design is not linked to the vendor of the database system. There will be
system specific features that will improve performance on a given RDBMS, but
the knowledge of how proprietary this is is important.

In general I think that SQL Server is the better system regarding ease of
setup and the hardware required to run the system and would therefore have
the edge, but if you are looking for multiplatform capabilities then Sybase,
DB2 or Oracle may be alternatives to consider.

John

"English Teacher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Which would be a more useful relational database server to learn
> nowadays: MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE?
>
> Thanks!

Noons

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (English Teacher) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> Which would be a more useful relational database server to learn
> nowadays: MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE?

This poster is a well known troll. Reply at your own risk.

Hulse

"John Bell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3f94fba3$0$246$(E-Mail Removed) et>...
> Hi
>
> The choice of which database system to learn will to some extent be
> determined on why you wish to learn it. In general there is a lot of
> relational theory that is universal and writing good SQL and doing correct
> design is not linked to the vendor of the database system. There will be
> system specific features that will improve performance on a given RDBMS, but
> the knowledge of how proprietary this is is important.
>
> In general I think that SQL Server is the better system regarding ease of
> setup and the hardware required to run the system and would therefore have

Actually when it comes to lowend hardware, Oracle and MSSQL are
more of an even heat. Both can be deployed on meagre hardware if your
thruput requirements are similarly meagre.
However, Oracle will probably scale much better should your needs
be more than trivial. Oracle runs on machines with as many as 105
cpus, Oracle has more transparent clustering, and MSSQL doesn't
support table/index partitioning.
Storage and memory requirements will be similar for both
products. You won't be able to get away with skimping on the disk
hardware just because it's a Microsoft database. OTOH, Oracle can run
on the same Dell/Compaq hardware that msSQL uses. Just run Linux
rather than Solaris.

> the edge, but if you are looking for multiplatform capabilities then Sybase,
> DB2 or Oracle may be alternatives to consider.

[deletia]

Robert C

what's a troll in this context ?

"Noons" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> (E-Mail Removed) (English Teacher) wrote in message

news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> > Which would be a more useful relational database server to learn
> > nowadays: MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE?

> This poster is a well known troll. Reply at your own risk.

Skip Middleton

Multiple cross posts to unrelated newsgroups. Of which, of course, I am now
guilty, since I don't know which grp. to direct my reply.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
"Robert C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn6pl8$a0u$(E-Mail Removed)...
> what's a troll in this context ?
>

> "Noons" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (English Teacher) wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> > > Which would be a more useful relational database server to learn
> > > nowadays: MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE?

> > This poster is a well known troll. Reply at your own risk.

Brian Peasland

Someone who lurks around, popping their head up occasionally, only to
cause trouble.

Cheers,
Brian

Robert C wrote:

> what's a troll in this context ?
>
> "Noons" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > (E-Mail Removed) (English Teacher) wrote in message

> news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> > > Which would be a more useful relational database server to learn
> > > nowadays: MS SQL SERVER or ORACLE?

> > This poster is a well known troll. Reply at your own risk.

Brian Peasland
dba@remove_spam.peasland.com

the three"

Robert C

Don't get it...
Cause what trouble ?
What fun/satisfaction does the troll get ?
Most of time people do things for a reason....