Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New EF-S Lenses and Bodies?

Reply
Thread Tools

New EF-S Lenses and Bodies?

 
 
Danny Rohr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
All,

Does anyone think that Canon will add EF-S mounts to future new 10D or 1Ds
body?

Personally, I think it would be a great idea, that way, they could release a
L series EF-S lenses like a "EF-S 18-55mm USM L" or similar that would be
for instance, much smaller than the current 24-70mm USM L.

It appears the EF-S mount is in response to the FourThirds system before it
gets off the ground. It offers similar advantages, smaller lenses and
optimized for the APS sized sensor. It would also allow Canon to
standardize on the smaller cheaper APS sized sensor in all its bodies while
still allowing backwards compatibility with existing EF lenses.

Any opinions?

Danny.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
"Danny Rohr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bn06lb$rq8jm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> All,
>
> Does anyone think that Canon will add EF-S mounts to future new 10D or 1Ds
> body?
>
> Personally, I think it would be a great idea, that way, they could release

a
> L series EF-S lenses like a "EF-S 18-55mm USM L" or similar that would be
> for instance, much smaller than the current 24-70mm USM L.
>
> It appears the EF-S mount is in response to the FourThirds system before

it
> gets off the ground. It offers similar advantages, smaller lenses and
> optimized for the APS sized sensor. It would also allow Canon to
> standardize on the smaller cheaper APS sized sensor in all its bodies

while
> still allowing backwards compatibility with existing EF lenses.
>
> Any opinions?
>
> Danny.
>
>


The 1Ds is already a full frame camera - there's no reason to adapt the EF-S
format to it. I think EF-S will be a mount only for entry-level digi-SLRs,
or maybe for the Digital Rebel alone. The cost of making sensors bigger
will drop over time. First, I think we'll see a 1.3x crop follow-up to the
10D and within 5 years we'll have full frame for under $2k. Just MHO.

Mark


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Steve Young
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
> "Danny Rohr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Does anyone think that Canon will add EF-S mounts to future new 10D or 1Ds
> body?


Possibly the 10D, but it wouldn't work for the full frame !D, which to me is
fine, as the 1D is oriented toward the seasoned user, which probably has a bag
full of EF glass. I would guess all future APS sized sensor DSLRs will include
the S mount.

> Personally, I think it would be a great idea, that way, they could release a
> L series EF-S lenses like a "EF-S 18-55mm USM L" or similar that would be
> for instance, much smaller than the current 24-70mm USM L.


The APS sized formats would well deserve its own smaller, lighter, cheaper lens

> It appears the EF-S mount is in response to the FourThirds system before it
> gets off the ground. It offers similar advantages, smaller lenses and
> optimized for the APS sized sensor.


Bingo! I've been saying this for months. Even professionals look for smaller,
lighter cameras as their traveling, (essentially), point and shooters. It's
nice they can occasionally use their old EF glass, as they may desire.

> It would also allow Canon to
> standardize on the smaller cheaper APS sized sensor in all its bodies while
> still allowing backwards compatibility with existing EF lenses.


> Any opinions?


Yes, I think the 2 formats (full frame and APS size) will flourish and grow for
a long time to come. I don't see the APS sensor cameras ever becoming full
frame, any more than 35mm shooters all going to medium format. After all, why
would anyone pay the price to get better than 'plenty good enough'? Many 10D
and 300D users claim it's plenty good now.

Steve Young



 
Reply With Quote
 
DHB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
Steve,
I agree, the APS size sensor is not a flash in the pan, it's here
to stay. Not everybody needs or wants wide angle lens so coming out with a
new smaller lens line (EF-S) was a very wise move.

This may sound strange to some but the largest attraction to the new
Digital Rebel for me was the 1.6x lens factor because for me it means I can
use a small light weight 50mm f1.8 or even f1.4 lens & get similar results
from it as I would have from a larger much more costly 80mm with a full size
senor camera.

True an APS size sensor will not produce equal quality results as a full
size senor (all other factors being equal) but as you have stated; "Many 10D
and 300D users claim it's plenty good now."

Do wish the 300D had a true "user selectable spot metering mode" but I
will make due without it. It's a fairly minor feature to give up compared
to the price difference between it & the 10D.

Just my 2 cents worth.

DHB

"Steve Young" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8tQkb.186478$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Danny Rohr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > Does anyone think that Canon will add EF-S mounts to future new 10D or

1Ds
> > body?

>
> Possibly the 10D, but it wouldn't work for the full frame !D, which to me

is
> fine, as the 1D is oriented toward the seasoned user, which probably has a

bag
> full of EF glass. I would guess all future APS sized sensor DSLRs will

include
> the S mount.
>
> > Personally, I think it would be a great idea, that way, they could

release a
> > L series EF-S lenses like a "EF-S 18-55mm USM L" or similar that would

be
> > for instance, much smaller than the current 24-70mm USM L.

>
> The APS sized formats would well deserve its own smaller, lighter, cheaper

lens
>
> > It appears the EF-S mount is in response to the FourThirds system before

it
> > gets off the ground. It offers similar advantages, smaller lenses and
> > optimized for the APS sized sensor.

>
> Bingo! I've been saying this for months. Even professionals look for

smaller,
> lighter cameras as their traveling, (essentially), point and shooters.

It's
> nice they can occasionally use their old EF glass, as they may desire.
>
> > It would also allow Canon to
> > standardize on the smaller cheaper APS sized sensor in all its bodies

while
> > still allowing backwards compatibility with existing EF lenses.

>
> > Any opinions?

>
> Yes, I think the 2 formats (full frame and APS size) will flourish and

grow for
> a long time to come. I don't see the APS sensor cameras ever becoming

full
> frame, any more than 35mm shooters all going to medium format. After all,

why
> would anyone pay the price to get better than 'plenty good enough'? Many

10D
> and 300D users claim it's plenty good now.
>
> Steve Young
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Danny Rohr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003

Steve Young <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8tQkb.186478$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Any opinions?

>
> Yes, I think the 2 formats (full frame and APS size) will flourish and

grow for
> a long time to come. I don't see the APS sensor cameras ever becoming

full
> frame, any more than 35mm shooters all going to medium format. After all,

why
> would anyone pay the price to get better than 'plenty good enough'? Many

10D
> and 300D users claim it's plenty good now.


Someone agrees with me! Not to mention that APS sized sensors with 20
megapixels will most likly be aviable in 10 years no worries.

Danny.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bob Niland
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
> Danny Rohr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Does anyone think that Canon will add
> EF-S mounts to future new 10D or 1Ds body?


1Ds: definitely not (sensor too large)
10D (or other APS-size): maybe not

Observe that Canon does not sell the EF-S 18-55
separately. Why? It's not like there won't be
more than a few people who buy or are given a
300D without it, and then decide they want one.

Was this the plan all along, or did late testing
discover a massive problem, such as...

If you mount this lens on a non-S camera, is
there some risk of damage to camera, lens or
both?

Canon may just sweep this EF mount variant under
the rug. They might also re-work it to either
eliminate the damage risk, or just make it
impossible to mount on incompatible cameras
(but just calling it "EF" ensures some amount
of dissatisfaction for anyone buying an EF-S
or "EF-S2" lens separately.

EF-S may be an experiment.
It may already have failed.

None of which is any reflection on that lens
per se. If I buy a 300D, I'll certainly get one.

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise
(E-Mail Removed) Kansas USA
which, due to spam, is: 67441-0248
email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
http://www.access-one.com/rjn

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
 
Reply With Quote
 
DHB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-20-2003
Bob,
good point about the EF-S camera lens design which I had not
considered. As I understand it, it extends deeper into the body of the
Digital Rebel / 300D camera & can be made smaller in part because it's uses
of a rear focusing lens group. Thus it is possible that since the sensor is
smaller, the mirror may also be smaller & thus not hit the back of the lens
when it pivots out of the way to take a picture.

If you are correct & this is a potential problem, it may be a huge
oversight that a lot of people at Canon failed to consider. If true than I
am not sure which of 2 possibilities would be worst;

<1> Knowing that Canon may have known this from the start but it was the
only way to offer such a camera / zoom lens kit for just under $1,000 USD &
turn a healthy profit in large volume sales.

OR

<2> Knowing that so many otherwise very smart engineers & managers & etc. at
Canon failed to consider how a new lens design would effect all the other
models it might be used on.

My hope is that this new EF-S lens design does not pose a problem if
used on other cameras aside from poor performance. This may simply have
been a temporary lens design intended only to sell a DSLR with a lens for
under $1000 USD with the hope that you will have to buy either a replacement
lens when the kit lens fails or is damaged or when you simply want something
better that goes beyond the basic zoom range of this lens.

However the EF-S lens issue works out I still believe that the APS size
sensor will be with us for a long time to come whether or not they increase
it's MP density or not. Most of what I want to do with the camera would
benefit from the 1.6X lens multiplication factor because I could use
smaller, lighter, faster & less expensive lenses to fill most of my
photographic needs.

Hopefully I am not the only person who feels this way.

DHB



"Bob Niland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Danny Rohr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> > Does anyone think that Canon will add
> > EF-S mounts to future new 10D or 1Ds body?

>
> 1Ds: definitely not (sensor too large)
> 10D (or other APS-size): maybe not
>
> Observe that Canon does not sell the EF-S 18-55
> separately. Why? It's not like there won't be
> more than a few people who buy or are given a
> 300D without it, and then decide they want one.
>
> Was this the plan all along, or did late testing
> discover a massive problem, such as...
>
> If you mount this lens on a non-S camera, is
> there some risk of damage to camera, lens or
> both?
>
> Canon may just sweep this EF mount variant under
> the rug. They might also re-work it to either
> eliminate the damage risk, or just make it
> impossible to mount on incompatible cameras
> (but just calling it "EF" ensures some amount
> of dissatisfaction for anyone buying an EF-S
> or "EF-S2" lens separately.
>
> EF-S may be an experiment.
> It may already have failed.
>
> None of which is any reflection on that lens
> per se. If I buy a 300D, I'll certainly get one.
>
> --
> Regards, PO Box 248
> Bob Niland Enterprise
> (E-Mail Removed) Kansas USA
> which, due to spam, is: 67441-0248
> email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
> http://www.access-one.com/rjn
>
> Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
> personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
> employer, client or Internet Service Provider.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2003
They appear to be selling it in OZ
http://www.canon.com.au/products/cam...55mmf3556.html

And I noticed the other day the EF lenses had a Red line up mark and the
EF-S has a white one, could they be Keyed differently to avoid damage ?

Andrew


"Bob Niland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Danny Rohr <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> > Does anyone think that Canon will add
> > EF-S mounts to future new 10D or 1Ds body?

>
> 1Ds: definitely not (sensor too large)
> 10D (or other APS-size): maybe not
>
> Observe that Canon does not sell the EF-S 18-55
> separately. Why? It's not like there won't be
> more than a few people who buy or are given a
> 300D without it, and then decide they want one.
>
> Was this the plan all along, or did late testing
> discover a massive problem, such as...
>
> If you mount this lens on a non-S camera, is
> there some risk of damage to camera, lens or
> both?
>
> Canon may just sweep this EF mount variant under
> the rug. They might also re-work it to either
> eliminate the damage risk, or just make it
> impossible to mount on incompatible cameras
> (but just calling it "EF" ensures some amount
> of dissatisfaction for anyone buying an EF-S
> or "EF-S2" lens separately.
>
> EF-S may be an experiment.
> It may already have failed.
>
> None of which is any reflection on that lens
> per se. If I buy a 300D, I'll certainly get one.
>
> --
> Regards, PO Box 248
> Bob Niland Enterprise
> (E-Mail Removed) Kansas USA
> which, due to spam, is: 67441-0248
> email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
> http://www.access-one.com/rjn
>
> Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
> personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
> employer, client or Internet Service Provider.



 
Reply With Quote
 
MarkH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-21-2003
"Danny Rohr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:bn06lb$rq8jm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Does anyone think that Canon will add EF-S mounts to future new 10D or
> 1Ds body?


Not for 1Ds, maybe for the 10D replacement.

> Personally, I think it would be a great idea, that way, they could
> release a L series EF-S lenses like a "EF-S 18-55mm USM L" or similar
> that would be for instance, much smaller than the current 24-70mm USM
> L.


I think that would be a bad idea. How much do you spend on lenses that may
or may not fit the next camera you buy? If I buy a camera in 5 years time
to replace my 10D, it could well be using a full frame sensor. Id be more
comfortable spending my money on lenses that will work with any Canon EOS
body.




--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~markh/
"There are 10 types of people, those that
understand binary and those that don't"

 
Reply With Quote
 
Wendy S
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-03-2003
MarkH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bn4e99$5rm$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Danny Rohr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:bn06lb$rq8jm$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
> > Does anyone think that Canon will add EF-S mounts to future new 10D or
> > 1Ds body?

>
> Not for 1Ds, maybe for the 10D replacement.


I wonder. My current plan is to get the 300D and collect lenses, then
at some point in the future, move to whatever replaces the 10D,
whenever/whatever that is.

I'm coming from an Olympus C2100UZ. The jump to the 10D is too much,
and the 300D fits nicely in the middle as my first SLR camera.

But I'm a bit leery of collecting EF-S lenses if they might not work
with the 10D's replacement. I don't want to get stuck on the
"consumer" side and I haven't worked out whether the 300D and the EF-S
mount lenses represents a fork in the road and is "just" a high-end
consumer camera. The lens that comes with the 300D did not look as
nice/high quality sitting next to the EF lenses in the display case.

So... which is it? EF-S is the future for Canon, or stay with the EF
lenses if I hope to upgrade to the "next" 10D? (Kind of a moot point
right now, AFAIK there is only the one EF-S lens in existence!)

--
Wendy in Chandler, AZ
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Claim: Microlenses on sensors render f1.0 and faster lenses as slowas f1.4 lenses RichA Digital Photography 2 03-23-2012 01:02 PM
What is the different between EF Lenses and EF-S Lenses ? hasithakaru Digital Photography 2 09-13-2007 09:50 PM
Difference between lenses for film and lenses for digital? One4All Digital Photography 22 01-14-2007 05:00 AM
Lenses for 20D. I have older ef lenses Robert Digital Photography 1 11-19-2004 12:42 AM
stabilizing lenses (what lenses to get w/10D) jonathan Digital Photography 4 10-06-2003 02:45 PM



Advertisments