Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Irfanview won't run .mov files

Irfanview won't run .mov files

Perk

Hi all,

For some reason I can't get any of the .mov files, (from my Olympus
C-700 camera), to play at all.

All I get is a box that says something like "Quick time error, can't
open movie" followed by the file location and name.

I just reloaded all the latest plugins and have the following
"Video/Sound" settings checked :

- Use internal video/sound player - normal size
- Use Apple Quick Time for .mov (Apple Q/T is installed)

I'm sure it's something I've got set wrong. Any ideas ?

Thanks much,

Perk

--

Perk Bingham

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as
simply messing about in a boat".
(Wind in the Willows)

Steve

Perk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For some reason I can't get any of the .mov files, (from my Olympus
> C-700 camera), to play at all.
>
> All I get is a box that says something like "Quick time error, can't
> open movie" followed by the file location and name.
>
> I just reloaded all the latest plugins and have the following
> "Video/Sound" settings checked :
>
> - Use internal video/sound player - normal size
> - Use Apple Quick Time for .mov (Apple Q/T is installed)
>
> I'm sure it's something I've got set wrong. Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Perk

Perk:

To run Quicktime MOV files in IrfanView, you MUST also have Quicktime
installed.

Steve

Onno

"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:NDJkb.826711
$Ho3.231946@sccrnsc03:

> Perk wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For some reason I can't get any of the .mov files, (from my Olympus
>> C-700 camera), to play at all.
>>
>> All I get is a box that says something like "Quick time error, can't
>> open movie" followed by the file location and name.
>>
>> I just reloaded all the latest plugins and have the following
>> "Video/Sound" settings checked :
>>
>> - Use internal video/sound player - normal size
>> - Use Apple Quick Time for .mov (Apple Q/T is installed)

[snip]

> To run Quicktime MOV files in IrfanView, you MUST also have Quicktime
> installed.

As a matter of fact, you can uninstall Quicktime. That will leave the
codecs for Irfanview to play MOV files.
(Unfortunately Irfanview does not work with Quicktime Alternative)

Perk, does Quicktime play your MOV files?
If you are using the latest plugins, is it perhaps your version of
Irfanview that is outdated? Just guessing here.

--
Onno

Perk

It shows Quicktime as being installed (although I can't locate it on the
HD).

My I'view is 3.85 and I just installed the latest plugin package.

I think I'll find Quicktime and download & install it. Maybe that will
work.

Thanks all,

Perk

--

Perk Bingham
Washington State, USA

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply
messing about in a boat".
(Wind in the Willows)

Jay

Onno wrote:

> "Steve" wrote:
>
>> Perk wrote:
>>> For some reason I can't get any of the .mov files, (from my Olympus
>>> C-700 camera), to play at all.

> Perk, does Quicktime play your MOV files?
> If you are using the latest plugins, is it perhaps your version of
> Irfanview that is outdated? Just guessing here.

I have the same problem as Perk (but a different camera, CanonS400).

Quicktime does play my MOV files, but Irfanview does not.

(I'd like to include MOV clips in an Irfanview slide show.)

Ron Hunter

Jay wrote:

> Onno wrote:

>>Perk, does Quicktime play your MOV files?
>>If you are using the latest plugins, is it perhaps your version of
>>Irfanview that is outdated? Just guessing here.

> I have the same problem as Perk (but a different camera, CanonS400).
>
> Quicktime does play my MOV files, but Irfanview does not.
>
> (I'd like to include MOV clips in an Irfanview slide show.)

I only get .mov files from my Kodak DX3600, and Irfanview (3.85) and QT
6.4 combine to play them just fine.