Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why is Canon 10D always out of stock?

Why is Canon 10D always out of stock?

SHolmes

For several days I'm trying to find Canon 10D in one of reliable Internet
shops and it is always out of stock. Why is this? High demand? But Digital
Rebel should be in higher demand because it is less expensive and it is
available everywhere. Canon policy? If so, can somebody explain what's the
deal? If you happen to know some _reliable_ on-line store having 10D in
stock, pls let me know. I need it to be delivered in NY until October, 30
and I'm running out of time.

Thanks.

Doug Scobie

www.pbase.com\sisdes
"SHolmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> For several days I'm trying to find Canon 10D in one of reliable Internet
> shops and it is always out of stock. Why is this? High demand? But Digital
> Rebel should be in higher demand because it is less expensive and it is
> available everywhere. Canon policy? If so, can somebody explain what's the
> deal?

Demand is high for the 10D anyway and it has been since it's launch. I guess
Canon's production lines are geared up to high volume on the Rebel, leaving
low output for the 10D.

Andrew

SHolmes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> For several days I'm trying to find Canon 10D in one of reliable Internet
> shops and it is always out of stock. Why is this? High demand? But Digital
> Rebel should be in higher demand because it is less expensive and it is
> available everywhere. Canon policy? If so, can somebody explain what's the
> deal? If you happen to know some _reliable_ on-line store having 10D in
> stock, pls let me know. I need it to be delivered in NY until October, 30
> and I'm running out of time.

Pictureline.com is well-regarded. They appear to have the 10D in stock.

Andrew

David Whalen

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:46:41 -0500, SHolmes wrote
(in message <3f918871$1@news.012.net.il>):

> For several days I'm trying to find Canon 10D in one of reliable Internet
> shops and it is always out of stock. Why is this? High demand? But Digital
> Rebel should be in higher demand because it is less expensive and it is
> available everywhere. Canon policy? If so, can somebody explain what's the
> deal? If you happen to know some _reliable_ on-line store having 10D in
> stock, pls let me know. I need it to be delivered in NY until October, 30
> and I'm running out of time.
>
> Thanks.

Try apple.com - Thats where I bought mine when they first came out and
received it within 7 days eventhough they stated it would take 3 weeks.

-- David Whalen

Bill Hilton

>From: "SHolmes" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)am

>For several days I'm trying to find Canon 10D in one of reliable Internet
>shops and it is always out of stock.

> If you happen to know some _reliable_ on-line store having 10D in
>stock, pls let me know. I need it to be delivered in NY until October, 30
>and I'm running out of time.

Go to one of the sites with a price searching bot and user ratings of the
stores and you should find the camera in stock quickly enough. For example,
try www.resellerratings.com (or similar sites), enter "Canon 10D" and you'll
find 48 stores listed. About 70% of them seem to have it in stock. Now find
one with very high short term and long term customer ratings and you should be
OK.

I've done this several times when B&H or Adorama were out of an item I needed
and always ended up with companies I never heard of who shipped quickly at the
price listed, so as long as you weed out the bad vendors this system works
fine. Make sure it's not grey market and make sure you understand the shipping
charges and the return policy, and you should be safe.

Bill

jeff liss

"Doug Scobie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<t5gkb.681$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> www.pbase.com\sisdes
> "SHolmes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > For several days I'm trying to find Canon 10D in one of reliable Internet
> > shops and it is always out of stock. Why is this? High demand? But Digital
> > Rebel should be in higher demand because it is less expensive and it is
> > available everywhere. Canon policy? If so, can somebody explain what's the
> > deal?

> Demand is high for the 10D anyway and it has been since it's launch. I guess
> Canon's production lines are geared up to high volume on the Rebel, leaving
> low output for the 10D.

Try Circuit City.com. I got mine there. Excellent camera. Fairly
priced. Very versatile. That's why so many digital photgraphers have
opted for it.
Jeff

Drifter

>For several days I'm trying to find Canon 10D in one of reliable Internet
>shops and it is always out of stock. Why is this? High demand? But Digital
>Rebel should be in higher demand because it is less expensive and it is
>available everywhere. Canon policy? If so, can somebody explain what's the
>deal? If you happen to know some _reliable_ on-line store having 10D in
>stock, pls let me know. I need it to be delivered in NY until October, 30
>and I'm running out of time.
>
>Thanks.

I don't know where you are, but if you are in the Washington DC area
then try Penn Camera. Very helpful group there.

Drifter

Fred McKenzie

<< >For several days I'm trying to find Canon 10D in one of reliable Internet
>shops and it is always out of stock. Why is this? High demand? But Digital
>Rebel should be in higher demand because it is less expensive and it is
>available everywhere. Canon policy? >>

When I bought the Rebel from a small camera store, I was told that the Canon
distributor was requiring cash payment in advance, so they had to sell one
before they could order another. Even so, they always had one or two
in-transit and usually sold out before the next shipment arrived. It was
anticipated that the Rebel will be the hot item for Christmas.

I don't know if the same rationale applies to the 10D. That store only
special-ordered one when a customer asked them to. I don't recall any mention
of long delays.

Another reason a product is in short supply, might be that a newer model is
about to be announced. The most likely time would be at some photo conference
early next year. Heard any good rumors?

Fred

Andy

"Fred McKenzie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> << >For several days I'm trying to find Canon 10D in one of reliable

Internet
> >shops and it is always out of stock. Why is this? High demand? But

Digital
> >Rebel should be in higher demand because it is less expensive and it is
> >available everywhere. Canon policy? >>

> When I bought the Rebel from a small camera store, I was told that the

Canon
> distributor was requiring cash payment in advance, so they had to sell one
> before they could order another. Even so, they always had one or two
> in-transit and usually sold out before the next shipment arrived. It was
> anticipated that the Rebel will be the hot item for Christmas.
>
> I don't know if the same rationale applies to the 10D. That store only
> special-ordered one when a customer asked them to. I don't recall any

mention
> of long delays.
>
> Another reason a product is in short supply, might be that a newer model

is
> about to be announced. The most likely time would be at some photo

conference
> early next year. Heard any good rumors?

There will be a new Canon Elan 7D with eye control next year.

> Fred

Jerry Dycus

In stock, ready to ship. Brand new in box USA warranty. Shelby Camera
& Video. $1399.99 MasterCard or Visa Call 1-704-487-9057.