Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon D-10

Canon D-10

Rick

I am in the market for a Canon D-10. I haven't had a "good" camera for many
years and I am looking to get back into it as a serious amateur. What I need
though is some recommendations on what should the first lenses that I buy
for this camera? While my money doesn't grow on trees, I am willing to spend
the money on something that is deemed necessary and important. Any
suggestions are welcomed.

A final question: Any thoughts on the 75-400 IS lens?

Rick

PS: Thanks.

Robertwgross

Rick wrote:
>I am in the market for a Canon D-10. ...

D-10 is a Nikon designation.

---Bob Gross---

Vin

Robertwgross <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>>I am in the market for a Canon D-10. ...

> D-10 is a Nikon designation.

What about D30 and D60?

--
Vin
Melbourne, Australia

Vin

Vin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> D-10 is a Nikon designation.

> What about D30 and D60?

Im sorry, this was in response to the above reply and not
to the OP incase I have pointed the OP'er into the wrong
direction.
--

Vin wrote:
>What about D30 and D60?

Those are Canon models.

---Bob Gross---

Doug Scobie

I suspect you mean the '10D'.
Lots an lots of good glass. The lens I keep on my camera is the 17-40L, an
excellent lens!

Doug

MarkH

"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I am in the market for a Canon D-10. I haven't had a "good" camera for
> many years and I am looking to get back into it as a serious amateur.
> What I need though is some recommendations on what should the first
> lenses that I buy for this camera? While my money doesn't grow on
> trees, I am willing to spend the money on something that is deemed
> necessary and important. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Necessary? Nothing is necessary!

But you should get a 28-135 IS lens. This is an excellent lens to keep on
your camera most of the time. On the 10D it will give an angle of view
equivalent to a 45-216mm which is a pretty useful range. The IS will let
you hand hold the camera in quarter the light that you could without IS.

You may find that the equivalent of 45mm is not very wide for some
situations, you could do worse than adding a 17-40L for the times you need
wide angle.

It is also worth considering a 50mm f1.8 which would not add much cost, but
would give a useful portrait lens that is capable of producing a very
limited DoF and will allow reasonable shutter speed in low light.

Once you have those 3 lenses then you are set for most situations. You can
decide for yourself if you need to add a monster zoom later, or maybe add
primes for the focal lengths that you use frequently. You could also think
about whether a macro lens would be worth getting. But the 3 I have
suggested will be enough to get you out and taking photos.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

Hunter

Agreed, though I only have the 28-135mm IS on my 10D at present. Fine for
most situations but I'm saving for a wider one. Suggest you spend 25 on a
UV filter and keep it permanently attached - a scratched lens is an
expensive waste.

"MarkH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bmoht4$kdq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I am in the market for a Canon D-10. I haven't had a "good" camera for
> > many years and I am looking to get back into it as a serious amateur.
> > What I need though is some recommendations on what should the first
> > lenses that I buy for this camera? While my money doesn't grow on
> > trees, I am willing to spend the money on something that is deemed
> > necessary and important. Any suggestions are welcomed.

> Necessary? Nothing is necessary!
>
> But you should get a 28-135 IS lens. This is an excellent lens to keep on
> your camera most of the time. On the 10D it will give an angle of view
> equivalent to a 45-216mm which is a pretty useful range. The IS will let
> you hand hold the camera in quarter the light that you could without IS.
>
> You may find that the equivalent of 45mm is not very wide for some
> situations, you could do worse than adding a 17-40L for the times you need
> wide angle.
>
> It is also worth considering a 50mm f1.8 which would not add much cost,

but
> would give a useful portrait lens that is capable of producing a very
> limited DoF and will allow reasonable shutter speed in low light.
>
> Once you have those 3 lenses then you are set for most situations. You

can
> decide for yourself if you need to add a monster zoom later, or maybe add
> primes for the focal lengths that you use frequently. You could also

think
> about whether a macro lens would be worth getting. But the 3 I have
> suggested will be enough to get you out and taking photos.
>

> --
> Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
> See my pics at http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~markh/
> "There are 10 types of people, those that
> understand binary and those that don't"

Todd Walker

In article <bmombb$s72$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Agreed, though I only have the 28-135mm IS on my 10D at present. Fine for
> most situations but I'm saving for a wider one. Suggest you spend 25 on a
> UV filter and keep it permanently attached - a scratched lens is an
> expensive waste.

You are much better off spending that $25 on the lens hood for the 28-
135. It will protect the front element as well as preventing flare. The
filter will increase flare and adds a cheap piece of glass in front of
an expensive one.

--
Todd Walker

Bill Hilton

>From: "Rick" (E-Mail Removed)

>Any thoughts on the 75-400 IS lens?

Did you mean the 75-300 IS lens or the 100-400 IS lens?