Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged before reuse

Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged before reuse

TD Matthews

Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
before reuse

That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
that's in the reader.

Any help???

Thanks

Robertwgross

Trevor wrote:
>Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
>before reuse
>That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
>sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
>use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
>can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
>and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
>that's in the reader.

Isn't "remove hardware" different from "eject media" (like a CF card)?

I can eject media, insert new media, and then read it directly without doing
any unplug-replug.

---Bob Gross---

Tom

"TD Matthews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
> before reuse
>

> That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
> sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
> use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
> can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
> and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
> that's in the reader.
>
> Any help???
>
> Thanks

I assume you are using Windows XP and that is why you have the Unplug/Eject
Hardware icon. I initially thought you had to use that before you could
remove the card but I found that apparently that refers to unplugging the
reader totally and not simply removing the card. I've been simply removing
and replacing my cards for months and have had no problem. I leave the
reader plugged in all the time.

mcgyverjones

"TD Matthews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
> before reuse
>

> That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
> sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
> use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
> can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
> and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
> that's in the reader.

Don't unplug/eject before removing card. Make sure the light is not flashing
and remove. Only use the Unplug/Eject Hardware when removing the reader
itself from the system.

MJ

Tom Scales

You're right. That's to unplug the reader.

Just unplug the card. That's all it takes. Make sure it's not writing at
the time (lights out).

Tom
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "TD Matthews" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
> > before reuse
> >

> > That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
> > sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
> > use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
> > can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
> > and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
> > that's in the reader.
> >
> > Any help???
> >
> > Thanks

> I assume you are using Windows XP and that is why you have the

Unplug/Eject
> Hardware icon. I initially thought you had to use that before you could
> remove the card but I found that apparently that refers to unplugging the
> reader totally and not simply removing the card. I've been simply

removing
> and replacing my cards for months and have had no problem. I leave the
> reader plugged in all the time.

Trabajador

The other replies are correct, you needn't use the remove hardware function.
However, there's one more step you might take for safety's sake. Before
removing the card, right click the drive icon in MyComputer, and "eject" it
much as you might a CD. Of course it won't physically eject, but when the
operation is complete, you'll know that any pending writes have been
flushed.

TD Matthews

Thanks alot guys. I 'thought' the readers manual had said to do an
eject but it's been driving me nuts.

I had seen some posts alluding to what you've said, but nothing
definite until now. Your experience is good enough for me.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Robertwgross) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Trevor wrote:
> >Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
> >before reuse
> >That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
> >sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
> >use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
> >can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
> >and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
> >that's in the reader.

> Isn't "remove hardware" different from "eject media" (like a CF card)?
>
> I can eject media, insert new media, and then read it directly without doing
> any unplug-replug.
>
> ---Bob Gross---

Drifter

>You're right. That's to unplug the reader.
>
>Just unplug the card. That's all it takes. Make sure it's not writing at
>the time (lights out).

Technically if you want to do it "nice" you are supposed to go into
"my computer", right click on the drive and select "eject" from the
menu. This forces the computer to finish any cached writes it's
waiting on. XP is far less fussy about this than Win2k was.

Drifter

jeff liss

(E-Mail Removed) (TD Matthews) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Unplug/Eject Hardware causes card reader to have to be unplugged
> before reuse
>

> That's pretty much it in the heading. I have multiple cards, and
> sometimes copy from one card to another. The problem is that when I
> use the icon down in the system tray to remove or eject hardware I
> can't use the card reader again until I physically unplug the reader
> and reconnect it. I just want to make it safe to remove the card
> that's in the reader.
>
> Any help???
>
> Thanks

When the card reader's not blinking or the light is off, it's safe to
unplug the card. If you need extra assurance, wait until you shut down
your 'puter, then take out the card. I've never had any problems or
lost data on my cards doing it this way.
Jeff

Joe Bloggs

Drifter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> >You're right. That's to unplug the reader.
> >
> >Just unplug the card. That's all it takes. Make sure it's not writing at
> >the time (lights out).

> Technically if you want to do it "nice" you are supposed to go into
> "my computer", right click on the drive and select "eject" from the
> menu. This forces the computer to finish any cached writes it's
> waiting on. XP is far less fussy about this than Win2k was.
>
> Drifter

If you go to the properties of the card reader in device manager, you
should be able to disable write caching on it. That way, as long as
you don't have an Explorer window or application with a handle on the
drive, you'll always be able to remove the card without any risk.