Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon S50 Dark Pictures

Canon S50 Dark Pictures

Jon

Just purchased a Canon S50 camera. I took a picture of the room using
Auto mode, it was during the day so wasn't dark. The flash went off,
and the picture looked good on the LCD screen (lowest brightness).

When I downloaded the pictures to the computer, they were must darker
than on the camera, file format is JPG. Downloaded using the Zoom
software, and then I viewed them in the default viewer for Windows XP,
but they looked also the same in the ZoomBrowser software.

Any ideas to what causes this?

Jon

Bill Crocker

I have not experienced that myself, with my S50. What resolution are you
shooting at? Not that it should make a difference in brightness...

Bill Crocker

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Just purchased a Canon S50 camera. I took a picture of the room using
> Auto mode, it was during the day so wasn't dark. The flash went off,
> and the picture looked good on the LCD screen (lowest brightness).
>
> When I downloaded the pictures to the computer, they were must darker
> than on the camera, file format is JPG. Downloaded using the Zoom
> software, and then I viewed them in the default viewer for Windows XP,
> but they looked also the same in the ZoomBrowser software.
>
> Any ideas to what causes this?
>
> Jon

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, jon18
> Just purchased a Canon S50 camera. I took a picture of the room using
> Auto mode, it was during the day so wasn't dark. The flash went off,
> and the picture looked good on the LCD screen (lowest brightness).
>
> When I downloaded the pictures to the computer, they were must darker
> than on the camera, file format is JPG. Downloaded using the Zoom
> software, and then I viewed them in the default viewer for Windows XP,
> but they looked also the same in the ZoomBrowser software.
>
> Any ideas to what causes this?
>
> Jon

Is your monitor set properly? Is it calibrated? Have you tried printing
and seeing how they look on another output device? Scroll to the bottom
of this page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona70/

(or any of DPR's reviews actually) and see if you can differentiate
between the shades from white to black at the bottom (they are lettered
A through Z.) If you can't see them all, you need to calibrate your
monitor.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker

jeff liss

(E-Mail Removed) (Jon) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Just purchased a Canon S50 camera. I took a picture of the room using
> Auto mode, it was during the day so wasn't dark. The flash went off,
> and the picture looked good on the LCD screen (lowest brightness).
>
> When I downloaded the pictures to the computer, they were must darker
> than on the camera, file format is JPG. Downloaded using the Zoom
> software, and then I viewed them in the default viewer for Windows XP,
> but they looked also the same in the ZoomBrowser software.
>
> Any ideas to what causes this?
>
> Jon

I'm not sure what caused the underexposure, but you could try a couple
things. Set your exposure compensation to +1 (if this happens
continuously) or just take the image into PhotoShop and lighten it up.
Post production works wonders.I have an S50 and have had no problems
with exposure. Good luck. BTW, I really like the camera, and learned a
lot when I read the manual (many options at your fingertips).
Jeff

HavingFun

Hi Jon,

Your camera's Histogram feature tells whether the photo is too dark or
too bright. LCDs DON'T accurately measure this, as you found.

http://www.quiknet.com/~frcn/Histograms.html

Your camera's Exposure Compensation lets you make the actual
adjustment. +2/3 is about right for an S50 indoor flash shot.

Try Tungsten white balance if you see yellowing in your photo.

Shots with good lighting and no flash look best, of course:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CS50/CS50PICS.HTM

Post your photo next time.

Cheers,
HavingFun

(E-Mail Removed) (Jon) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Just purchased a Canon S50 camera. I took a picture of the room using
> Auto mode, it was during the day so wasn't dark. The flash went off,
> and the picture looked good on the LCD screen (lowest brightness).
>
> When I downloaded the pictures to the computer, they were must darker
> than on the camera, file format is JPG. Downloaded using the Zoom
> software, and then I viewed them in the default viewer for Windows XP,
> but they looked also the same in the ZoomBrowser software.
>
> Any ideas to what causes this?
>
> Jon

HavingFun

Photoshop works miracles!

It makes mediocre shots good, and good shots very good.

-- HavingFun

(E-Mail Removed) (jeff liss) wrote in message
> I'm not sure what caused the underexposure, but you could try a couple
> things. Set your exposure compensation to +1 (if this happens
> continuously) or just take the image into PhotoShop and lighten it up.
> Post production works wonders.I have an S50 and have had no problems
> with exposure. Good luck. BTW, I really like the camera, and learned a
> lot when I read the manual (many options at your fingertips).
> Jeff

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Photoshop works miracles!

No it doesn't. If you have a crappy shot to begin with, Photoshop isn't
going to help you.

--
________________________________
Todd Walker
http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm
_________________________________

HavingFun

You snipped half my 2-line reply:

::: Photoshop works miracles!
::: It makes mediocre shots good, and good shots very good.

What EXACTLY do you disagree with?? I never claimed Photoshop turns
crappy photos into good ones! Still, what Photoshop does is amazing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> going to help you.

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> You snipped half my 2-line reply:
>
> ::: Photoshop works miracles!
> ::: It makes mediocre shots good, and good shots very good.
>
> What EXACTLY do you disagree with?? I never claimed Photoshop turns
> crappy photos into good ones! Still, what Photoshop does is amazing.

Sorry I wasn't clear. This statement:

"Photoshop works miracles!"

is what I disagree with. It is a very powerful software tool to be sure,
but it can't work miracles. The reason I replied as I did is that many
people think that they don't have to pay particular attention to doing
everything right when they take the shot because they can fix their
mistakes in Photoshop later. This isn't the case. Yes, it can fix some
problems but if you start with crap, you'll finish with different
looking crap.

--
Todd Walker
http://twalker.d2g.com/canon10d
My Digital Photography Weblog:
http://twalker.d2g.com/dpblog.htm

HavingFun

Thanks for the clarification. I totally agree with you.

-- HavingFun