Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital to Slides

Digital to Slides

texey

Where can I get slides made from my digital photos?
I mean for a 35mm slide projector.

George

Buy a film recorder OR take it to a service bureau that offers this. I
haven't checked lately, but there used to be ads for this type of service in
Computer Shopper and Shutterbug.

"texey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Where can I get slides made from my digital photos?
> I mean for a 35mm slide projector.

Rafe B.

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:45:36 GMT, "texey" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Where can I get slides made from my digital photos?
>I mean for a 35mm slide projector.

www.imagers.com

Good service, inexpensive, and quick.

You can upload your digital files via their website
and have your slides in a couple of days.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Michael Kilpatrick

Provided the digital image is of good quality, how do the slides made in
this way compare to slides shot directly in a camera?

Michael

Jerry Dycus

Shelby Camera & Video $2.00ea in reasonable quantities. Call
704-487-9057 4K resolution.

wrote:

>Where can I get slides made from my digital photos?
>I mean for a 35mm slide projector.

Rafe B.

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:34:19 +1000, "Michael Kilpatrick"
<mkilpatr*cutthis*@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Provided the digital image is of good quality, how do the slides made in
>this way compare to slides shot directly in a camera?

I wouldn't know. When I do this, it's to create slides fror
juries for my arts/crafts shows. Most of the time <G> it's
good enough for the jury and I get into the show -- which
is all that matters. Offhand, they look pretty good to me;
color and saturation look right on. I suppose it might be
interesting to scan one of these..

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com

Michael Kilpatrick

Thanks

I'm interested in this because I'm about to buy a digital slr for wildlife
photography (the prospect of a useable iso 1600 was too tempting) but I have
always shot slides and enjoy showing them to friends. High quality digital
projectors are still too expensive, so I'm wondering if I can have my cake
and eat it too.
I suppose the obvious thing is to get some good digital images and give it a
try.

Michael

Larry Caldwell

mkilpatr*cutthis*@optusnet.com.au (Michael Kilpatrick) writes:

> I'm interested in this because I'm about to buy a digital slr for wildlife
> photography (the prospect of a useable iso 1600 was too tempting) but I have
> always shot slides and enjoy showing them to friends. High quality digital
> projectors are still too expensive, so I'm wondering if I can have my cake
> and eat it too.

That's not necessarily true any more. You can get a pretty good digital
projector in the $900 range.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L2F725C36

With an HDTV tuner, it can take care of your HDTV viewing too, albeit at
800x600, or whatever the resolution is at 16x9.

They also have an XGA version at http://makeashorterlink.com/?A63821C36
for about $1700.

Granted, that is a lot more than a slide projector, but if you are buying
digital SLRs and lenses, you are already shopping in that price range.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Dave Martindale

Larry Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>That's not necessarily true any more. You can get a pretty good digital
>projector in the $900 range.
>http://makeashorterlink.com/?L2F725C36

If you think 800x600 images are comparable to projected 35 mm slides.
Brightness and contrast can be fine, but the resolution is far far
less. This is 0.5 megapixels!

>They also have an XGA version at http://makeashorterlink.com/?A63821C36
>for about $1700.

That's 1024x768. Now we're up to 0.75 megapixels.

>Granted, that is a lot more than a slide projector, but if you are buying
>digital SLRs and lenses, you are already shopping in that price range.

The problem is that digital projectors do not even approach the
sharpness of a projected slide, no matter how much you pay. If you
shoot with a 4 or 6 megapixel camera, don't you want your projected
images to show those pixels? If 0.5 megapixels is enough, you can use a
much cheaper camera.

Dave

Larry Caldwell

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dave Martindale) writes:
> Larry Caldwell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >That's not necessarily true any more. You can get a pretty good digital
> >projector in the $900 range.
> >http://makeashorterlink.com/?L2F725C36

> If you think 800x600 images are comparable to projected 35 mm slides.
> Brightness and contrast can be fine, but the resolution is far far
> less. This is 0.5 megapixels!
>
> >They also have an XGA version at http://makeashorterlink.com/?A63821C36
> >for about $1700.

> That's 1024x768. Now we're up to 0.75 megapixels.
>
> >Granted, that is a lot more than a slide projector, but if you are buying
> >digital SLRs and lenses, you are already shopping in that price range.

> The problem is that digital projectors do not even approach the
> sharpness of a projected slide, no matter how much you pay. If you
> shoot with a 4 or 6 megapixel camera, don't you want your projected
> images to show those pixels? If 0.5 megapixels is enough, you can use a
> much cheaper camera.

That is an interesting point. I think it depends a lot on how much the
human eye can resolve at a 10 or 15 foot viewing distance. The XGA
projector does a very nice job of displaying photos, but I don't know how
much better a 6 mp projector would appear.

Projected slides look very nice, but they aren't anywhere near as sharp
as reality. A projected 35mm image is pretty fuzzy if you start looking
at it. Not only do you have the errors introduced during taking, by
camera shake, lens distortion and film distortion, but then you have to
project it back through a projector lens that is usually not the
greatest, from a slide mount and platform that only approximates the
plane of focus.

The digital projector does much better than a mere comparison of pixels
would seem to indicate.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc