Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Casio EXILIM EX-Z4u questions

Casio EXILIM EX-Z4u questions

Robert Kim

Hi, all. I'm looking for a digital camera for a relative who likes the
really small cameras. I'm looking at the Casio EXILIM EX-Z4u. A few
possible problems, though:

1. It only support USB 1.1, not USB 2.0. Is this going to be a problem
now or in the future?

2. It seems to get good endorsements and reviews. Does anyone here have
any experience with it they would be willing to share (good or bad)?

TIA,

Bob

Boomer

Robert Kim wrote:

> Hi, all. I'm looking for a digital camera for a relative who
> likes the really small cameras. I'm looking at the Casio EXILIM
> EX-Z4u. A few possible problems, though:
>
> 1. It only support USB 1.1, not USB 2.0. Is this going to be a
> problem now or in the future?
>
> 2. It seems to get good endorsements and reviews. Does anyone
> here have any experience with it they would be willing to share
> (good or bad)?
>
> TIA,
>
> Bob

Hopefully someone comes along shortly to answer your question.

Please be patient Bob. This is a VERY busy group!

--
<sigh>

Robert Kim

On Wed, 16 Oct 2003, Boomer wrote:

> Hopefully someone comes along shortly to answer your question.
>
> Please be patient Bob. This is a VERY busy group!

Heh. Thanks, Boomer!

Boomer

Robert Kim wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Oct 2003, Boomer wrote:
>
>> Hopefully someone comes along shortly to answer your question.
>>
>> Please be patient Bob. This is a VERY busy group!

> Heh. Thanks, Boomer!

I'd post it again here.

But since you seem to like Off Topic and adding to the congestion
over there....

<shrugs>

Mark M

"Robert Kim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) urdue.edu...
> Hi, all. I'm looking for a digital camera for a relative who likes the
> really small cameras. I'm looking at the Casio EXILIM EX-Z4u. A few
> possible problems, though:
>
> 1. It only support USB 1.1, not USB 2.0. Is this going to be a problem
> now or in the future?
>
> 2. It seems to get good endorsements and reviews. Does anyone here have
> any experience with it they would be willing to share (good or bad)?

Who uses the camera to upload photos???
Nobody I know.
Get a card reader, and USB 1 vs. 2 is a non-issue.

dsco

Robert Kim <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, all. I'm looking for a digital camera for a relative who likes the
>really small cameras. I'm looking at the Casio EXILIM EX-Z4u. A few
>possible problems, though:
>
>1. It only support USB 1.1, not USB 2.0. Is this going to be a problem
>now or in the future?
>
>2. It seems to get good endorsements and reviews. Does anyone here have
>any experience with it they would be willing to share (good or bad)?
>
>TIA,
>
>Bob

I have a Casio Exilim EX-M2 that uses USB 1.1. It's not all that fast
reading from the camera in the cradle, but I just start the pictures
dumping from the camera to the PC and do something else for a minute or
two if there are a lot of pictures. But if you want to write TO the
camera, it's much slower.

I wouldn't worry about USB 1.1 as far as future compatibility, it should
be supported under the USB standard for quite a while.

If the speed bothered me, I'd just get a card reader as the other poster
mentioned, they're pretty cheap.

I'm happy with my EX-M2. If your relative focuses on the "really small"
part, consider the EX-M20 (the followup to the M2) or EX-S20 (lacks audio
features) instead of the EX-Z4u. The Z4 is about twice as thick as those,
heavier, and slower. Also, as far as I can tell, the Z4 doesn't have a
movie mode, which although limited, I've found to be a fun and useful
feature on my Exilim.

Other really small cameras to consider:
- Casio Exilim Z3
- Canon PowerShot SD10 Digital Elph