Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Re: Canon Powershot A60 vs. Canon Powershot A70

Andrys Basten

In article <aQ89b.28312$(E-Mail Removed) ogers.com>,
Mansoor Siddiqui <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I was planning on buying a Canon Powershot A60 ($350 CDN) but I keep getting
>mixed answers on how large a print you can make from a 1600 x 1200 image.
>Could someone clarify the exact dimensions (for medium quality, and for high
>quality prints).

These are pretty helpful guides:

From B&H Photo - Digital Camera Resolution Chart
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...hartPopup.html
( http://makeashorterlink.com/?J13452736 if the link breaks up )

Another one - Digital Camera Buying Guide
"Digital Camera Pixels/Resolution"
http://www.digital-camera-buying-gui...resolution.php
http://makeashorterlink.com/?N15421736 if the link breaks up )

- Andrys
--
http://andrys.com/elph
http://andrys.com/elph/tindex.html

Gary Fritz

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Andrys Basten) wrote:
> These are pretty helpful guides:
> From B&H Photo - Digital Camera Resolution Chart
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...hartPopup.html
> ( http://makeashorterlink.com/?J13452736 if the link breaks up )

That's helpful, but it only covers pixel size. I'm also wondering how the
compression figures into it.

I've always heard that 3MP is good for 8x10's. On an A70 the Large size
(2048x1536) provides about 200 dpi on an 8x10, but the BHPhoto site says
that's not "photo quality." (But apparently the 3MP image is just barely
below BH's standard for "photo quality," since the 3MP has ~190-200 dpi for
8x10 and 4MP has 210-220 dpi. I thought you needed 300 dpi to match film,
but BH seems to think 210 dpi is good enough.) So the A70's 3MP image is
just below BH's standard for "photo quality" for an 8x10.

But that's presumably at Superfine resolution, which I believe is basically
no compression. What happens if you run at Fine or lower settings? How
much does it degrade the resulting print? Is a Fine 2048x1563 image
roughly equal in image quality to a Superfine 1600x1200? So a Large
Superfine image would provide near-photo quality for an 8x10, and a Large
Fine image would provide near-photo quality for a 5x7, or...? What's the
approximate degradation in effective image size when going from Superfine
to Fine to Normal?

Gary

enz

"Andrys Basten" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bmiuug$m7m$(E-Mail Removed)...
> These are pretty helpful guides:
>
> From B&H Photo - Digital Camera Resolution Chart
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/FrameWor...hartPopup.html
> ( http://makeashorterlink.com/?J13452736 if the link breaks up )
>
> Another one - Digital Camera Buying Guide
> "Digital Camera Pixels/Resolution"

http://www.digital-camera-buying-gui...resolution.php
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?N15421736 if the link breaks up )

And these two sources disagree about the size I'm most interested in. Making
8"x10" photo with 4 MP camera produces the best possible quality level
according to B&H Photo but only second best according to Digital Camera
Buying Guide. Where is the truth? Is 4 MP enough for 8x10 to get photo
quality?

enz

Timothy Lange

I think this depends on what you want. Normal print resolution is around 300
dpi. I'm sure there is paper out there that can do better. What resolution do
you want? If you want 300 dpi for an 8"x10" then you need an image size of
2400 x 3000 pixels. Don't forget to get a printer that can give you the dpi
you want with the size you want.

Tim.