Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Cheap EOS 1D-S on ebay ... is it for real?!

Cheap EOS 1D-S on ebay ... is it for real?!

polvoronn

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ategory=43454&
rd=1

- no reserve
- 2 days left (as for this post)
- just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
- includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies

BUT

- high feedback rating
- located in netherlands

WHAT'S GOING ON?!

grenner

Look at the other auctions, it may be a ripped off Ebay ID

Greg
"polvoronn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ategory=43454&
> rd=1
>
> - no reserve
> - 2 days left (as for this post)
> - just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
> - includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies
>
> BUT
>
> - high feedback rating
> - located in netherlands
>
> WHAT'S GOING ON?!

Dave Martindale

"polvoronn" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>- no reserve
>- 2 days left (as for this post)
>- just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
>- includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies

>BUT

>- high feedback rating
>- located in netherlands

First, you have no idea what it will actually sell for. Many ebay
bidders place one single bid for the maximum amount they are willing to
pay in the last 10 seconds of the auction.

Second, it is risky. Cameras are one of the high-fraud things on ebay,
along with laptops and other high-dollar electronic things. The high
feedback doesn't mean much, unless it's good feedback from a long
history of selling cameras. A favourite ploy of scammers is to steal
someone's ebay account (by sending out fake "verify your account details"
email) and use it to sell stuff that they don't have.

Not all ebay camera sales are fraudulent, of course, but you're taking a
larger risk than with most items. If it seems too good to be true, it
probably is.

Dave

Bob Niland

> polvoronn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> &item=2957866931

Item listed on eBay Canada.
"Registered 23-Feb-01 in United States"
"Location: EMAIL ME
Netherlands"
Mostly a Buyer this year before this auction.
How many more warning signs do you need?

My bet is:
- hijacked account
- no such goods

Use Ask-Seller-A-Question and see if your
cousin Franco, who lives in Amsterdam, can
come pick up the equipment and pay cash.

Or, place a bid, then pull Contact Info,
and see where the phone number (if any)
is. If the CI is invalid, report it.
eBay will take down the auction and NARU
the account very quickly.

--
Regards, PO Box 248
Bob Niland Enterprise

Unless otherwise specifically stated, expressing
personal opinions and NOT speaking for any
employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

Nikki

Today alone, I've turned in to eBay customer service over 30
fraudulent auctions, the large portion of them being for D100 and
Kodak 14n cameras, along with big-screen plasma TVs and laptop
computers. It's always the same thing - a ripped of user ID and
feedback, often along with a "private" auction or selected bidder
requirement, along with no indication of acceptance of payment other
than cash, check or MO.

What I'd like you to do is this: Carefully examine each of these
auctions, and compare the auction to the seller's buying/selling
history. You will discover that all of these slimeballs are using the
ID and history of innocent victims, often buyers (generally US) having
a history of purchasing inexpensive items. I've found a method for
quickly culling through the electronic listings and weeding out these
vermin for eBay to deal with, and they always cancel them out within a
few hours of my warnings. Unfortunately they are back again the next
day with the same ads, just different stolen IDs. Locations in the
Netherlands, England, and Italy are always suspect, but there are
plenty more headquartered in Florida, New York and elsewhere.

The information used to establish their phony ID and history is
usually obtained by spamming e-mail that appears to be originating
from eBay, requesting logon serials and ID.

These are felonies, since all of the items involved are well over
$1000, and it follows that eBay should take a far more aggresive role
in making sure they are prosecuted, not simply cancelled. EBay has
far better search functions than we do for culling out suspicious ads,
it's a shame they can't put them to better use.

In the meantime, do your own part to clean this slime out of
eBay--when you see auctions that are obviously fraudulent, report them
immediately. A good place to start is here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/contact_inline/index.html

-Nikki

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 02:08:52 GMT, "polvoronn" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ategory=43454&
>rd=1
>
>- no reserve
>- 2 days left (as for this post)
>- just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
>- includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies
>
>BUT
>
>- high feedback rating
>- located in netherlands
>
>WHAT'S GOING ON?!

PiZzazZ

Good grief! eBay should pay you for your time. I wonder what those people
in eBay fraud unit are doing...Reading your emails, I guess.

I am tempted to play with those fraudster just for fun. Win the bid and play
dumb. Keep them excited until their patience wears out.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

&
> >rd=1
> >
> >- no reserve
> >- 2 days left (as for this post)
> >- just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
> >- includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies
> >
> >BUT
> >
> >- high feedback rating
> >- located in netherlands
> >
> >WHAT'S GOING ON?!

JB

"grenner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3f8cae16$0$41292$(E-Mail Removed) m>...
> Look at the other auctions, it may be a ripped off Ebay ID
>
> Greg
> "polvoronn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >

> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ategory=43454&
> > rd=1
> >
> > - no reserve
> > - 2 days left (as for this post)
> > - just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
> > - includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies
> >
> > BUT
> >
> > - high feedback rating
> > - located in netherlands

> > WHAT'S GOING ON?!

It is a fraudulent auction. It looks real because the ebay ID number
has been hijacked by the worm who is trying to steal the money. The
true ebayer doesn't even know his ID has been hijacked. These
auctions are typically out of Europe, but some hijackers exist in
America as well.

Read the following:

http://www.millersmiles.co.uk/identitytheft/oah-8.htm

Mark B.

"polvoronn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ategory=43454&
> rd=1
>
> - no reserve
> - 2 days left (as for this post)
> - just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
> - includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies
>
> BUT
>
> - high feedback rating
> - located in netherlands
>
> WHAT'S GOING ON?!

It's a scam. Probably a hijacked account from a legit user with good
feedback. If you were to bid & win, the seller would ask for a Western
Union transfer. You & your money will be parted and you will have nothing
to show for it. Stay away from deals that look way too good to be true.

Mark

Ken Alverson

"polvoronn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ategory=43454&
> rd=1
>
> - no reserve
> - 2 days left (as for this post)
> - just a little over $100US (again, as of this post)
> - includes 2 lenses, 1GB CF card, and other goodies

It's a 3 day auction that just started a few hours before your post, so it's
not unusual that the price is so low at this point. With 2 days and 5 hours
left now, it's up to $1200, and undoubtably it will continue to go up as the
end of the auction approaches. No reserve is not an indication of anything
wrong, either. Many people simply don't have a set minimum they will accept,
or know that an item without a reserve will get more bids. Nothing indicates
to me this is a scam. The fact that the seller is in the Netherlands makes
wary, but not suspicious.

That said, caution should be exercised if you do try to win the camera. Don't
go wiring money, and insist on an escrow service, especially on an item this
expensive. If the seller refuses, it probably is a scam.

My question is, who buys an $8K camera and pairs it with a $400 and a $180
lens? Not that my lenses are any better, but I didn't get a 1Ds...

Ken

Mark Grebner

> Good grief! eBay should pay you for your time. I wonder what those people
> in eBay fraud unit are doing...Reading your emails, I guess.

My thoughts exactly. Not only because Nikki is obviously dong good
things, but because eBay really ought to start caring about fraud.

It has always been eBay's unwritten policy to allow fraud as long as
the perpetrator follows all the rules. If this seems like an
outrageous thing to say, consider that nobody at eBay seems to be
doing the same research as Nikki is - even though they have far
greater and easier access to auction data than a private party has.

There are any number of steps eBay could take to make fraudulent
auctions more difficult to place, but their answer is always the same:
they cut-and-paste a copy of their policies in a robo-reply.

EBay is a truly wonderful addition to American commerce, but I sure
wish they'd get past over their short-range grubbing for listing fees,
and start realizing that undiscovered frauds are a minus to them - not
a plus.