Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Consequences of editing 10D jpeg in Adobe RGB color space?

Consequences of editing 10D jpeg in Adobe RGB color space?

David Ellis

With respect to inkjet printing, and editing the jpeg files in
Photoshop, what are the consequences of using the Adobe RGB setting in
the 10D instead of using the default sRGB? (I rarely use RAW.) I
understand the different color spaces and i want maximum color space
for editing.

I'm editing on a notebook computer with a TFT screen to which I have
become accustomed when using a sRGB camera and that color space in
Photoshop. Working in Photoshop's RGB color space, the 10D Adobe RGB
jpeg has low gamma on screen, as predicted in the instruction manual.
That is one (manageable) consequence. Are there others?

--David

bmoag

As I understand it:
sRGB has a more limited range of colors (gamut) than Adobe RGB and should
be avoided for general photo use.

The color range/gamut of sRGB is intended for a limited palate, such as Web
pages and may actually look better on your notebook monitor: LCD screens
have limited color range and contrast compared to CRTs and are not reliable
for judging color in your images. I ended up giving away (well, to my son!)
an expensive desktop LCD because it was just impossible to calibrate for
color with the LCD monitor: I much preferred the LCD for general computer
work otherwise.

You may want to rethink about using jepg. Every time you modify and save the
file it degrades to some degree due to the nature of most jpeg compression
schemes. It really is best to keep images in *.tif or some other lossless
file type. Although tif files are larger, if you are using Photoshop then I
assume you must have adequate RAM, hard drive space and a CD burner.

It is generally best to be consistent about the color space you work in:
Photoshop 5 and later allow you to convert and keep all images in one color
workspace. In Photoshop 7 this is done by setting the edit/color settings
without having an image open. You also need to decide on your printer driver
settings, presuming you are using an inkjet photoprinter, if the driver
allows you to set gamma or other parameters. Basic printer settings are
different depending on the paper type.

All of this means nothing if you are happy with the results you are getting.
Your eye/LCD/printer may be very happy in an sRGB world.

There are a lot of web sites that have good explanations about this
difficult color managment issue and it is worth the time to read through
them.

Lionel

Word has it that on Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:27:29 -0700, in this august
forum, David Ellis <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>With respect to inkjet printing, and editing the jpeg files in
>Photoshop, what are the consequences of using the Adobe RGB setting in
>the 10D instead of using the default sRGB? (I rarely use RAW.) I
>understand the different color spaces and i want maximum color space
>for editing.
>
>I'm editing on a notebook computer with a TFT screen to which I have
>become accustomed when using a sRGB camera and that color space in
>Photoshop. Working in Photoshop's RGB color space, the 10D Adobe RGB
>jpeg has low gamma on screen, as predicted in the instruction manual.
>That is one (manageable) consequence. Are there others?

No, that's pretty much it. I photograph in RAW & process in Adobe RGB
'98 & 16 bit mode (on an LCD screen) without any problems. The only
other thing I can think of is that you should be careful to match the
colour space of your output device when processing for printing, but
that's true regardless of the colour space you're editing in.

PS: One 'gotcha' with editing on a laptop is that laptop LCDs often have
limited tonal resolution, compared to CRTs or desktop LCDs. I'd be
tempted to plug in a CRT into the laptop when doing serious 'art'
editing.