Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > EOS 10D question (date stamp)

EOS 10D question (date stamp)

Marc Walch

I just bought a Canon EOS 10d and have gone through half of the user manual.

One question I have is: how to get a date stamp on each image?

Thanks

Marc Walch

Ethan Trewhitt

According to Marc Walch <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> One question I have is: how to get a date stamp on each image?

You can't have it simply superimpose one. The date is added to the header of
each JPEG file created, so you will have to add this on the computer. There
are probably programs out there to do it at that point, but there's no way to
get the camera to do it itself.

--
eth'nT
http://www.hydrous.net

Ethan Trewhitt

According to Ethan Trewhitt <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> You can't have it simply superimpose one. The date is added to the
> header of each JPEG file created, so you will have to add this on the
> computer. There are probably programs out there to do it at that
> point, but there's no way to get the camera to do it itself.

Sorry, to clarify, the image has the date stored in an invisible section of
the file, but you can only translate this to the visible part of the image
with a PC.

--
eth'nT
http://www.hydrous.net

George Kerby

On 10/13/03 12:04 PM, in article bmelv8$3u7$(E-Mail Removed), "Ethan
Trewhitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> According to Marc Walch <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> One question I have is: how to get a date stamp on each image?

> You can't have it simply superimpose one. The date is added to the header of
> each JPEG file created, so you will have to add this on the computer. There
> are probably programs out there to do it at that point, but there's no way to
> get the camera to do it itself.

I don't understand why people would WANT that annoying crap on a high
quality camera! The EXIF file should also have it, if one wants it. Too me,
it's worse than the "bugs" that every damn network uses these days at the
bottom corner of the screen. Oh well, to each their own...

Randall Ainsworth

> I don't understand why people would WANT that annoying crap on a high
> quality camera! The EXIF file should also have it, if one wants it. Too me,
> it's worse than the "bugs" that every damn network uses these days at the
> bottom corner of the screen. Oh well, to each their own...

Agreed 100%. The last thing I want in the corner of my images is an
orange time/date stamp. That always looks so tacky.

Fred McKenzie

<< Agreed 100%. The last thing I want in the corner of my images is an
orange time/date stamp. That always looks so tacky. >>

There are times when it is good to have an automatic date, such as when photos
are used for documentation rather than art.

It can usually be turned off in those that have it. It looks like the
manufacturers have made the decision for us and turned it off permanently on
most recent cameras!

Fred

Junque

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Fred McKenzie
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
><< Agreed 100%. The last thing I want in the corner of my images is an
>orange time/date stamp. That always looks so tacky. >>
>
>There are times when it is good to have an automatic date, such as when photos
>are used for documentation rather than art.
>
>It can usually be turned off in those that have it. It looks like the
>manufacturers have made the decision for us and turned it off permanently on
>most recent cameras!

Not so much "turned it off" as not increased the development cost by
adding a feature that most users of a high performance camera would not
want. I can see that the performance and visible date stamping might be
desirable in forensic use.

--
Ian G8ILZ
- to reply directly use ian (at) newbrain (dot) demon (dot) co (dot) uk

>>> Agreed 100%. The last thing I want in the corner of my images is an

Fred> orange time/date stamp. That always looks so tacky. >>

Fred> There are times when it is good to have an automatic date, such as when photos
Fred> are used for documentation rather than art.

Fred> It can usually be turned off in those that have it. It looks like the
Fred> manufacturers have made the decision for us and turned it off permanently on
Fred> most recent cameras!

Sigh.

With a digital the time stamp is part of the file,
and does not need to be part of the image.

Why is this so hard to understand?

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.photo.digital...)

Marc Walch

It's not hard to understand at all. However, when you review a whole
stack of photos, sometimes it is nice to know the chronology. Looking at
the time field on the file is not always feasible.

What is hard to understand is why wasn't this yet another option (ON or
OFF) amidst all the other options this fine camera provides. For
example, Canon could have added another C.Fn custom function.

So, for those who colorfully think it's "crap", turn it off; for those
who like it (and sorry, that has nothing to do with this type of
camera), turn it on.

Marc Walch

> Fred> orange time/date stamp. That always looks so tacky. >>
>
> Fred> There are times when it is good to have an automatic date, such as when photos
> Fred> are used for documentation rather than art.
>
> Fred> It can usually be turned off in those that have it. It looks like the
> Fred> manufacturers have made the decision for us and turned it off permanently on
> Fred> most recent cameras!
>
> Sigh.
>
> With a digital the time stamp is part of the file,
> and does not need to be part of the image.
>
> Why is this so hard to understand?

Crownfield

Marc Walch wrote:

> It's not hard to understand at all. However, when you review a whole
> stack of photos, sometimes it is nice to know the chronology. Looking at
> the time field on the file is not always feasible.

and on the other hand,
I never want a picture with the date screwing up the image.