Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Can't do setuid and file permission denied

Can't do setuid and file permission denied

Chris

Thanks to Ingo for refering me to this group.

I'm a newbie with perl scripts and I'm having
problem running my copied script to my server. Can anybody who is
patient enough to help me with my problem?
I have a chpass.pl which is being executed by a change password web
utility page. This script tries to update a password on my linux
server /etc/shadow with a file permision rw------. my chpass.pl was
set to -rwsr-sr-x ,
with this file permission, I'm getting an error: Can't do setuid,
referer: http://.......
When I set the file permision of the chpass.pl to -rwsr-xr-x , I get
the error: file permision denied by the file /etc/shadow..
When I chmod 777 the /etc/shadow then everything works but I'm sure
its not safe to do that.. I cannot figure out how could I make this
work with the original file permission of the files shadow and
chpass.pl unchanged for I knew this was been working before with
another machine with almost a copycat of my server.

PLS..

Thanks...

Roy Johnson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Chris) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Thanks to Ingo for refering me to this group.

Please tell Ingo that the correct group is
comp.lang.perl.misc
since this group is no longer a public group. You can also try
perl.beginners

You will get more responses from a public group. I can't answer your
questions, but I'm sure someone can in comp.lang.perl.misc. In the
meantime, it may help for you to take a look at
perldoc perlsec