Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera that interfaces with USB thumb drive

Camera that interfaces with USB thumb drive

Robert Haston

I have 2 256 meg USB "thumb drives". I would like a camera that could
transfer files from its own memory to the USB drive directly, not through a
PC.

Seeing that this is about $120 worth of memory, this would be my #1 buying
decision for a camera.

Who has cameras that do this?

Vance Green

Nobody that I know of.

Incompatible connectors, for one, lack
of ability to xfer data to any external storage system
without OS and relevant drivers, or a storage subsystem
with the intelligence to get the data out of the camera for another.

The "thumb drives" have NO "smarts" of their own.

"Robert Haston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1AXhb.30342$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> I have 2 256 meg USB "thumb drives". I would like a camera that could
> transfer files from its own memory to the USB drive directly, not through

> PC.
>
> Seeing that this is about $120 worth of memory, this would be my #1 buying
> decision for a camera.
>
> Who has cameras that do this?

Robertwgross

Robert wrote:
>I have 2 256 meg USB "thumb drives". I would like a camera that could
>transfer files from its own memory to the USB drive directly, not through a
>PC.

Normally a USB storage device can be accessed from a host or controller. Your
camera is a storage device, and your thumb drives are storage devices, but you
don't have a host or controller.

---Bob Gross---

Jim Townsend

Robert Haston wrote:

> I have 2 256 meg USB "thumb drives". I would like a camera that could
> transfer files from its own memory to the USB drive directly, not through a
> PC.
>
> Seeing that this is about $120 worth of memory, this would be my #1 buying
> decision for a camera.
>
> Who has cameras that do this?

Nobody..

Some cameras will write out their USB ports, but require a computer to drive
them. Most have proprietary USB connectors.

Ian Stirling

Vance Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Nobody that I know of.
>
> Incompatible connectors, for one, lack
> of ability to xfer data to any external storage system
> without OS and relevant drivers, or a storage subsystem
> with the intelligence to get the data out of the camera for another.
>
> The "thumb drives" have NO "smarts" of their own.

<snip quoted message incorrectly placed at bottom>

There are a little smarts, to make it act like a disk drive, and to
level the wear on the flash.

In the next few years "On the go" (I'm not sure of the capitalisation
or spacing) is about to change this, to add the capability for cameras
and stuff to talk to each other, through a connector that looks like a USB
one.

The amount of CPU needed to access a USB disk drive is a fraction
of that needed to take a picture.

And that CPU is getting cheaper and cheaper.

There are a few USB devices that are standardised enough that you can
write a generic driver for them, in not too much space.
PPTP compatible cameras, USB storage, mice, keyboards, some audio.
The rest pretty much need drivers written for them.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | (E-Mail Removed) | Ian Stirling.
Windows 2000, software for next millenia. <latin pun alert> - Ian Stirling.